Whether it's 1 person or 100 more persons a day getting assaulted, it's too many.
Huh?
You said "If for instance there are more assaults on trains where there is DOO then yes it is down to the lack of a guard on the trains that is the root cause to the increase."
I'm questioning your conclusion that if there's been an increase of assaults on DOO trains, the lack of a guard is the root cause of that increase.
If there actually is an increase.
At the risk of returning to this thread and being accused of committing all types of iniquities, all I now ask is the simple question....
"Does anyone think that one of comments that was reported in the very first posting on this thread was far too simplistic in its reasoning and that there are many other reasons for the matter that is the reason for this thread"
If this posting still offends in its wording, then my cognitive thinking ability seems to have reached the end of its useful life, with rest of me a close second...:roll:
Let's not turn this into a Driver Only Operation (DOO) debate; there is much more chance of seeing staff patrolling a DOO train in Strathclyde than there is seeing staff on a late evening TPE service from Manchester Piccadilly or Leeds (the Guard is usually in the back cab on the evening trains I use), in my experience, so it's not quite true to say that a particular method of operation means that there will be less incidents.
I personally would like to see more staff patrolling trains, especially in the evenings. I believe a visible staff presence is a good deterrent, though that doesn't guarantee all incidents can be prevented of course.
Paul - why does it matter what the union say? They don't offer the staff training the employer does that and sets the policy. But you must know that.........
So what do you suggest is done about it?I suppose its one of them things isn't it, until it happens to you or your family or someone you know..
I know of chavs who have assaulted, taunted and bullied many victims and continue to do so with impunity and yet they are free to carry on re-offending, they cannot be publicly named and the safety of those chavs is taken more seriously than any protections given to you or me. And I'm also sure the York chavs I'm thinking of are nowhere near as bad or numerous as in places like Greater Manchester.
Very sad to read that some people on here have been victims to these scum, the crux of the matter is that the perpetrators get little to no decent punishment if caught.
For the purpose of balance I should point out that those who attacked me were tracked down within 24 hours and following the trial received lengthy custodial sentences.So what do you suggest is done about it?
As CaptainHaddock says we can't reduce it to 0, and as misterredmist says, the scum can't be punished sufficiently to prevent them re-offending.
I know of chavs who have assaulted, taunted and bullied many victims and continue to do so with impunity and yet they are free to carry on re-offending, they cannot be publicly named and the safety of those chavs is taken more seriously than any protections given to you or me. And I'm also sure the York chavs I'm thinking of are nowhere near as bad or numerous as in places like Greater Manchester.
Increase in what?
If you mean violence on the railways, there has been even after normalising for increased journey numbers. The Railway Safety and Standards Board annual report seems a pretty reputable source of information to me.
If not that, then disregard my reply.
Maybe certain trains need bouncers...
So what do you suggest is done about it?
As CaptainHaddock says we can't reduce it to 0, and as misterredmist says, the scum can't be punished sufficiently to prevent them re-offending.
I know of chavs who have assaulted, taunted and bullied many victims and continue to do so with impunity and yet they are free to carry on re-offending, they cannot be publicly named and the safety of those chavs is taken more seriously than any protections given to you or me. And I'm also sure the York chavs I'm thinking of are nowhere near as bad or numerous as in places like Greater Manchester.