• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severe overhead wire damage near Peterborough 23/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
That would certainly help other trains stuck in the section without power, but would the train involved in the incident actually be allowed to move off quickly or does work have to be done to clear up the mess, disentangle it from the OHLE etc?

You'd have to wait for an overhead isolation, which could possibly affect other lines, plus the necessary staff to remove and make safe the wires. On a non ECML line when I reported an OHL defect, which wasn't a dewirement but may have caused one, it took 6 hours for it to be fixed. So no electric trains both ways for 6 hours.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
VTEC were announcing late trains heading in BOTH directions from PBO tonight as "having had 'operational difficulties' en route"..

No explanation as to WHAT the "operational difficulty" was....

Might have calmed a few people down IF they'd explained what they were and passengers may have been more sympathetic...

The only service which was affected was 1D36 it ran non-stop between Peterborough and Doncaster presumably diverted which meant is couldn't call at Grantham and Newark http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y60585/2017/09/24/advanced
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I am now glad the 1800 from Boston on a Saturday night doesn't stop at Grantham. I would have been in all of this if it did! I undamn the eyes of EMT!

This really does sound like chaos. I know it is Saturday night and other travel options are limited and staff numbers are lower but still..................
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Customer feedback form now available for anyone who travelled on Saturday night

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SHD7C7M

Thanks for putting a link up, completed it (hint: there is a lot of disagrees)

Luckily we were stuck at Grantham, how the ones stuck on the felt trains ahead felt not near a station I don't know. Been stuck in some delays on the ECML before but never been 5.5 hours late at my destination.
 
Last edited:

Stampy

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2014
Messages
417
Location
Peterborough
The only service which was affected was 1D36 it ran non-stop between Peterborough and Doncaster presumably diverted which meant is couldn't call at Grantham and Newark http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y60585/2017/09/24/advanced

From what I remember last night......


1E22
Edinburgh - King's Cross due to depart @ 1950 (actually departed 1959)

1D28
King's Cross - Leeds due to depart @ 1951 (actually departed 2017)

1B90
King's Cross - Lincoln Central due to depart @ 2001 (actually departed 2024)

1A48
Leeds - King's Cross due to depart @ 2014 (actually departed 2022)

2 departures North also managed to cause 2 trains to slow down to a crawl on the Down Fast past a single yellow aspect.

And yet all Passengers at PBO were told was "operational difficulties" :roll:
 

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Thanks for putting a link up, completed it (hint: there is a lot of disagrees)

Luckily we were stuck at Grantham, how the ones stuck on the felt trains ahead felt not near a station I don't know. Been stuck in some delays on the ECML before but never been 5.5 hours late at my destination.


Quick question: I had an advanced single from York to Kings Cross with a 16-25 Railcard (£28.40) and was delayed by 300+ minutes, how much money am I eligible for through the delay repay?

It's in situations like this you should get more than £28.40 is that enough for delays of 5+ hours? not a chance
 

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Looks like VTEC are struggling for trains now

The 14:15 Leeds to London is delayed due to a shortage of trains

The 15:05 London to Leeds and 17:45 Leeds to London are both cancelled due to a shortage of trains
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Would it be worth electrifying Peterborough-Donny via Lincoln to serve as ECML 2? Seems like most problems happen in that area for some reason?

I suppose if you could count and cost the mass passenger frustration and anger ("I will NEVER catch those trains again!") of these repeated overhead problems, it might be worth it, long term.

But if they are cancelling electrification of busy lines like the Midland north of Kettering and - especially - the Western west of Cardiff, then you are not going to get a £££££££ electrification scheme passed for an otherwise lightly used* parallel line from Peterborough to Doncaster. It is, what, 90 odd miles? Lovely to have if you are an operator - but would cost an orrible amount of dosho.

* I mean in passenger terms. I know they upgraded it for more goods trafffic - I have no idea if the expected traffic actually runs.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
Damage to Overhead equipment was found on up slow, up fast and down slow. There waa a snapped head span, parted caterary wires on down and up fast And 2 registration arms.

1E23 terminated at Peterborough. 1G11 1A50 and 1E21 all returned to Grantham.
1N33, 1N34 and 1D34 terminaed Peterborough (restarted from Grantham).
With the Hst off 1E23 working shuttles between Peterborough and Grantham to get passengers between the 2 stations.

1D30 eventually moved 317 minutes late!!

I travelled from Newcastle to Doncaster on Saturday night on the 19.50 Newcastle-King's Cross (1E23 16.41 off Edinburgh, terminated at Peterborough as noted above), and on arrival at Doncaster I saw 91115 (with its pantograph down) and a full Mark 4 set immobilised in Platform 4, with window labels showing Newcastle. I'm guessing that this was the set that had formed 1N33 20.00 King's Cross-Leeds. For the record the full set was 91115 12224 12477 12439 12440 12326 10321 11241 11320 11420 82200. Just before catching the 21.42 to Sheffield, I saw 67028 coupling to 91115, presumably to take the set empty to Neville Hill.
 

joncombe

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2016
Messages
869
It's in situations like this you should get more than £28.40 is that enough for delays of 5+ hours? not a chance

It's worth nothing that for a flight delayed for more than 2 hours you are entitled to food and drink, and accommodation if delayed over night and for delays of more than 3 hours at least €250 compensation (regardless of ticket cost). Although in the interests of balance, unlike the railway you'll be entitled to (and generally get) nothing in the event of a delay less than this.

I had a look at the Virgin Trains East coast passengers charter.

It says this.

We will arrange alternative transport to get you to your
final destination if:
• the next connecting train is 60 minutes later than the one you should have caught; and
• alternative transport will get you there quicker than waiting for the next train.

That wasn't offered to me or anyone else impacted that I was aware of on Saturday (and there is no dispute that a bus or taxi would do Grantham to London in less than 6.5 hours).

Where a delay or cancellation of a Virgin Trains East Coast service makes it impossible to get you to your destination at a reasonable time, either by train or alternative transport, we will:
• arrange for you to return to where you started your journey, or another appropriate location, and ensure that you can travel again the next day, or
• provide overnight accommodation and ensure that you can travel the next day.

Well I arrived (along with many others) at Kings Cross at 03:30 rather than 21:54 as scheduled (and it was after 5am before I got to my final destination). I'd not consider that to be "a reasonable time", but again hotels or transport back to the origin was not offered.

At Grantham when our train arrived the station staff walked past passengers waiting on the platform and refused to speak to them (despite people asking to), went in the office and locked the door, just making announcements over the tannoy. Whilst I can understand why they might feel they need to do that (tempers were getting somewhat frayed) it is not very proffessional to hide away.
If you are delayed by over 60 minutes on any of our trains, or stations because of a problem with our services, we will offer you complimentary refreshments, while stocks last.

Again this did not happen, at least in standard. The buffet was closed for the whole journey (staff shortage) and there was no trolley (at least, not in standard). When we finally got to Grantham (after midnight) all the station facilities were closed. Once the replacement train arrived there was no announcement about any buffet and with people standing all down the aisle there would be no chance to get to it anyway.

I understand problems can happen but it should not take over 3 hours to get people off the train (particularly, as the case with this train) when the train still has power and is working correctly - I can appreciate that being on the train that has actually failed would be harder. And when people do get off there really should be the option of getting something to eat or drink.

So I'll certainly be complaining to Virgin Trains, but I suspect I'll get a voucher for the cost of my ticket but nothing more.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
It's worth nothing that for a flight delayed for more than 2 hours you are entitled to food and drink, and accommodation if delayed over night and for delays of more than 3 hours at least €250 compensation (regardless of ticket cost). Although in the interests of balance, unlike the railway you'll be entitled to (and generally get) nothing in the event of a delay less than this.

I had a look at the Virgin Trains East coast passengers charter.

It says this.



That wasn't offered to me or anyone else impacted that I was aware of on Saturday (and there is no dispute that a bus or taxi would do Grantham to London in less than 6.5 hours).



Well I arrived (along with many others) at Kings Cross at 03:30 rather than 21:54 as scheduled (and it was after 5am before I got to my final destination). I'd not consider that to be "a reasonable time", but again hotels or transport back to the origin was not offered.

At Grantham when our train arrived the station staff walked past passengers waiting on the platform and refused to speak to them (despite people asking to), went in the office and locked the door, just making announcements over the tannoy. Whilst I can understand why they might feel they need to do that (tempers were getting somewhat frayed) it is not very proffessional to hide away.


Again this did not happen, at least in standard. The buffet was closed for the whole journey (staff shortage) and there was no trolley (at least, not in standard). When we finally got to Grantham (after midnight) all the station facilities were closed. Once the replacement train arrived there was no announcement about any buffet and with people standing all down the aisle there would be no chance to get to it anyway.

I understand problems can happen but it should not take over 3 hours to get people off the train (particularly, as the case with this train) when the train still has power and is working correctly - I can appreciate that being on the train that has actually failed would be harder. And when people do get off there really should be the option of getting something to eat or drink.

So I'll certainly be complaining to Virgin Trains, but I suspect I'll get a voucher for the cost of my ticket but nothing more.

I never got offered anything either. We were stood at Grantham Stain nearly 4 hours and there was very little staff presence. I was relaying what was going on to others through what was put on here and RTT as the staff were giving out very little info. After arriving at King's X 5 hours late at 03:30 there was also little presence of any staff but understandable at that time of night. The taxi queue was massive and only 1 tube entrance was open. DI'd you stay on the HST at P'boro or move to the 225?
 

joncombe

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2016
Messages
869
After arriving at King's X 5 hours late at 03:30 there was also little presence of any staff but understandable at that time of night. The taxi queue was massive and only 1 tube entrance was open. DI'd you stay on the HST at P'boro or move to the 225?

I stayed on the HST though I was lucky as the train I was on was the first of the 3 that went on the resuce train so I got a seat before the other 2 train loads of people arrived. In any case I'd probably have stayed on the HST to reduce any further delay.

The situation at Kings Cross was poor. I tried to go out the main door opposite the end of the platforms but found it locked. So I followed the crowds heading to what I later found was the only unlocked exit. I joined the scrum to get through the only open door but then spotted an entrance to the tube to the right. I don't know if it was open because as soon as I tried to go that way I got barked at that I had to leave the station via that door only and then to outside into the square to get to the tube.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,602
The taxi queue must have been awful, standing outside mixed in with the 'late night revellers'. Was anyone coordinating the taxis or was it just a case of queuing up as normal?

I do often wonder if once the maximum level of Delay Repay is reached, there is little incentive to throw more resources at the situation, which is why it should keep going up.
 

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
I suppose if you could count and cost the mass passenger frustration and anger ("I will NEVER catch those trains again!") of these repeated overhead problems, it might be worth it, long term.

But if they are cancelling electrification of busy lines like the Midland north of Kettering and - especially - the Western west of Cardiff, then you are not going to get a £££££££ electrification scheme passed for an otherwise lightly used* parallel line from Peterborough to Doncaster. It is, what, 90 odd miles? Lovely to have if you are an operator - but would cost an orrible amount of dosho.

* I mean in passenger terms. I know they upgraded it for more goods trafffic - I have no idea if the expected traffic actually runs.

The whole route is cleared to W12, so I would have thought that there are no bridges to lift. But a lot of LCs.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
Are arrangements in place with taxi circuits in such scenarios to put out a call to get additional taxis to a location? I'd have thought that the prospect of a meaty fare would tempt many cabbies.

Surely there must be questions asked about the handling of such incidents - there seem to have been several over the same section recently and to leave people abandoned and misled can't be right. Though it's a weekend evening, surely arrangements exist to do emergency call outs for suitable managers and additional staff?
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
Looks like VTEC are struggling for trains now

The 14:15 Leeds to London is delayed due to a shortage of trains

The 15:05 London to Leeds and 17:45 Leeds to London are both cancelled due to a shortage of trains

Do DBC have another spare 90 that could cover for the damaged 91? I assume the coaching stock came out unscathed.

Or what's 89001 up to these days? ;)
 

arb

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2010
Messages
498
I travelled from Newcastle to Doncaster on Saturday night on the 19.50 Newcastle-King's Cross (1E23 16.41 off Edinburgh, terminated at Peterborough as noted above), and on arrival at Doncaster I saw 91115 (with its pantograph down) and a full Mark 4 set immobilised in Platform 4, with window labels showing Newcastle. I'm guessing that this was the set that had formed 1N33 20.00 King's Cross-Leeds.

I was on the 17:30 King's Cross to Newcastle, which lost all power just short of Doncaster (I think completely independently of the main disruption on Saturday evening), and was towed into platform 4 at Doncaster by approx 20:10. It was still there at 20:42 when I caught a train to Sheffield. So this might have been what you saw, but obviously I've no idea if they managed to move it and then get a different broken train into the same platform by the time you arrived.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
The taxi queue must have been awful, standing outside mixed in with the 'late night revellers'. Was anyone coordinating the taxis or was it just a case of queuing up as normal?

I do often wonder if once the maximum level of Delay Repay is reached, there is little incentive to throw more resources at the situation, which is why it should keep going up.

I never got offered anything either. We were stood at Grantham Stain nearly 4 hours and there was very little staff presence. I was relaying what was going on to others through what was put on here and RTT as the staff were giving out very little info. After arriving at King's X 5 hours late at 03:30 there was also little presence of any staff but understandable at that time of night. The taxi queue was massive and only 1 tube entrance was open. DI'd you stay on the HST at P'boro or move to the 225?


What extra resource though? Is the problem not that on a Saturday night "on call" people are thin on the ground. Off shift/not on call I suggest most staff will have had a drink or be more interested in having some down time.

If I were in that situation I certainly wouldn't think: I am off duty and not on call but I better not have a pint because something, somewhere might go wrong...............

(Same goes for bus/cab companies - you are working on people being fit for work when they didn't expect to be out of hours.)

I am not saying this went well as clearly it didn't but was this not about the worst time for such a problem to happen?
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,427
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Are arrangements in place with taxi circuits in such scenarios to put out a call to get additional taxis to a location? I'd have thought that the prospect of a meaty fare would tempt many cabbies.

Surely there must be questions asked about the handling of such incidents - there seem to have been several over the same section recently and to leave people abandoned and misled can't be right. Though it's a weekend evening, surely arrangements exist to do emergency call outs for suitable managers and additional staff?

At the end of the day it costs money, and no one really wants to pay for a resource which is idle most of the time.

The railway has a set number of station staff and incident response staff, and that's it. It really depends how many staff is deemed acceptable to be sitting around waiting for an incident to happen, there's no right or wrong answer. Even if you have copious response staff, there's still an element of luck in having people in the right place at the right time.

Add in the fact that people simply don't want to work weekends, so pretty much every roster is constructed on the basis of minimising weekend working as far as possible. Look at the perennial issue of weekend cancellations due to train crew non-availability as an example of this.
 

Chris M

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
1,060
Location
London E14
If the TOC/Network Rail/whoever isn't going to pay for extra staff to be available for incidents like this (regardless of whether you agree with this or not) then it needs to have plans in place to deal with incidents like this with the number of staff they do have.

With the possible exception of very remote branch lines, there really should be no reason for passengers to be on a failed train more than two hours tops, and no more than 1 hour if the failure is within reasonable walking distance of a station.
 

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
If the TOC/Network Rail/whoever isn't going to pay for extra staff to be available for incidents like this (regardless of whether you agree with this or not) then it needs to have plans in place to deal with incidents like this with the number of staff they do have.

With the possible exception of very remote branch lines, there really should be no reason for passengers to be on a failed train more than two hours tops, and no more than 1 hour if the failure is within reasonable walking distance of a station.

I am not sure about your timescales.

But there is no question in my mind that those arriving in London on the night should have been treated much much better than a load of delinquent cattle.

And that is not to say that cattle should be treated badly either!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
If the TOC/Network Rail/whoever isn't going to pay for extra staff to be available for incidents like this (regardless of whether you agree with this or not) then it needs to have plans in place to deal with incidents like this with the number of staff they do have.

With the possible exception of very remote branch lines, there really should be no reason for passengers to be on a failed train more than two hours tops, and no more than 1 hour if the failure is within reasonable walking distance of a station.

On a live railway, evacuation off a safe environment onboard is not considered a first resort for very good reasons. There are often many options that can be explored before evacuation is considered the only option, and all these options take time to be explored and discounted.

Your given time-frame is simply unrealistic in most such cases.

The problem with a given threshold is that there will always be exceptions where things take a little longer than usual for an extra option to be explored, and they can very quickly add up.

I do however agree that 5 hours sounds a little long with no supplies onboard. If additional supply cannot be brought to the train then I think at around 2-3 hours and there being no realistic hope of things improving quickly, evacuation should be seriously considered a contender for ways forward, provided that the nearest safe environment is not too far away.

The handling of the incident at King's Cross does also leave a lot to be desired going by the account of things, however again remember that it is Saturday night, so spare staff may be difficult to find, and taxis/buses will be in short supply for various reasons.
 

Chris M

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
1,060
Location
London E14
The handling of the incident at King's Cross does also leave a lot to be desired going by the account of things, however again remember that it is Saturday night, so spare staff may be difficult to find, and taxis/buses will be in short supply for various reasons.

My main point was that the railway needs to either find those spare staff or have plans in place that don't rely on them being available. Equally, they need to plan for situations when buses and taxis are in short supply (or find ways to make them available, but this is almost certainly not realistic).
 
Last edited:

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
On a live railway, evacuation off a safe environment onboard is not considered a first resort for very good reasons. There are often many options that can be explored before evacuation is considered the only option, and all these options take time to be explored and discounted.

Your given time-frame is simply unrealistic in most such cases.

The problem with a given threshold is that there will always be exceptions where things take a little longer than usual for an extra option to be explored, and they can very quickly add up.

I do however agree that 5 hours sounds a little long with no supplies onboard. If additional supply cannot be brought to the train then I think at around 2-3 hours and there being no realistic hope of things improving quickly, evacuation should be seriously considered a contender for ways forward, provided that the nearest safe environment is not too far away.

The handling of the incident at King's Cross does also leave a lot to be desired going by the account of things, however again remember that it is Saturday night, so spare staff may be difficult to find, and taxis/buses will be in short supply for various reasons.

Were any on call managers there to assist the limited staff available?
 

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Let's say this happened on Christmas eve would they leave passengers stuck on trains for that length of time??
 

AngusH

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2012
Messages
599
The penalty to the train companies for mis-managing stranded trains are so small it's hardly worth investing in improving matters. First Capital connect paid only £102,718 when they mis-managed a stranded train back in 2013. (That was about 3 hours I believe, although the overall outcomes were worse)

That's only about £145 per passenger for the approx 700 passengers on board.


Personally I think 5 hours is too slow, but since this incident appears to have generated no negative publicity (not reported anywhere!) and the delay repay is no more than than it would be with any delay of more than an hour, plus the unlikeliness of any government penalty, I don't expect to see any improvements at all.

Unless somebody actually dies on a stranded train of course, in which case everyone will suddenly pile in and say how unacceptable it all is and lots of money will suddenly become available and/or penalties will suddenly get severe.

(Perhaps too cynical?)


Edit: I do appreciate that workers on the ground are trying very hard, but if there aren't enough resources, what better can they do?
 
Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
Are they lucky that it wasn't a hot day when it happened? Had it been a hot day, would there have been a very high risk of people pulling the egress handles and bailing from the train, heading both ways up the tracks?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
Had it been a hot day, would there have been a very high risk of people pulling the egress handles and bailing from the train, heading both ways up the tracks?

I'm not sure how anyone can answer that sort of hypothetical question?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top