• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Although very small, Dolgellau is the second largest settlement in Southern Gwynedd after Tywyn.

The Welsh, the "Saxons", and their conflicting ways of spelling things... Tywyn, Southern Gwynedd (of Talyllyn Railway fame) was for long -- conventionally and officially -- spelt "Towyn". Correct-Welsh-orthography-wise, the "o" has been replaced by a "y". There is, however, a quasi-namesake settlement, in the north of Gwynedd: the village of Towyn (the "o" still correct here), between Rhyl and Abergele.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The grave of the novelist Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, best known for his Sherlock Holmes books, is under a large tree in the churchyard of All Saints. Sir Arthur was originally buried in a vertical position in Crowborough and re-interred in Minstead by the family of his deceased first wife after the death of the second Lady Conan Doyle. Minstead figured prominently in Conan Doyle's historical novel The White Company. Alleyne Edricson, the main character is the second son of the late Franklin of Minstead and brother of the Simon, Socman of Minstead.

@EbbwJunction1: should you be (as plenty of people are) a devotee of Conan Doyle's historical novels; I hope not to give offence -- but I derive some amusement from the circumstance that Doyle hated Sherlock Holmes and everything to do with him (tried to kill him off at one stage, but the fans insisted that he be brought back) -- he reckoned the Holmes stories as boring rubbish which he churned out to pay the bills; and that writing historical fiction was what he had really been put on Earth to do. For my tastes -- definitely not everyone's ! -- "Holmes" is deservedly Doyle's best material; and his historical novels which I've struggled through, including The White Company and its sequel are, to me, frankly awful -- kids'-comic stuff. (I'd forgotten all about Edricson's Minstead connection: do recall that he has a chum called John, from Hordle near New Milton.)

ETA: the above, just "chat" -- latest settlement-to-follow-from, is Towyn as per #21,511.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
East Hoathly (East Sussex) is some 15 miles south-east of West Hoathly (West Sussex) -- I think one is pronounced "lye" and the other "lee", but I forget which is which.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
@EbbwJunction1: should you be (as plenty of people are) a devotee of Conan Doyle's historical novels; I hope not to give offence -- but I derive some amusement from the circumstance that Doyle hated Sherlock Holmes and everything to do with him (tried to kill him off at one stage, but the fans insisted that he be brought back) -- he reckoned the Holmes stories as boring rubbish which he churned out to pay the bills; and that writing historical fiction was what he had really been put on Earth to do. For my tastes -- definitely not everyone's ! -- "Holmes" is deservedly Doyle's best material; and his historical novels which I've struggled through, including The White Company and its sequel are, to me, frankly awful -- kids'-comic stuff. (I'd forgotten all about Edricson's Minstead connection: do recall that he has a chum called John, from Hordle near New Milton.)
I am a devotee of the Sherlock Holmes novels, although I haven't read too many of the historical ones. It's something that I ought to put right soon, as I know that they're very good.

Moving on, though, Saint Anne's-on-the-Sea is one of the four main areas making up Lytham St Annes; the other three are Lytham, Ansdell and Fairhaven. The comedian Les Dawson, who lived in the town, is remembered by a bronze statue by sculptor Graham Ibbeson, which was unveiled by Dawson's widow and daughter in the ornamental gardens next to St Annes Pier on 23rd October 2008. Les Dawson was born in Collyhurst, Manchester, on 2nd February 1931.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Horsham in West Sussex also lends its name to a particular type of sandstone.

Oxford, like Horsham, has a central crossroads called (The) Carfax.


I am a devotee of the Sherlock Holmes novels, although I haven't read too many of the historical ones. It's something that I ought to put right soon, as I know that they're
very good.

I readily admit that concerning fiction, I'm ridiculously hard to please...
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
One of the recipients of the Freedom of the City of Oxford is the author Colin Dexter, the creator of the Inspector Morse series. Although mostly associated with Oxford (where he died, aged 86, on 21st March 2017), he was born on 29th September 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
The Church of England parish church of Saint George and Saint Mary, Church Gresley was built early in the 12th century. In 1872, the chancel was designed and built by Arthur Blomfield. Another of his projects in the same year was at St James' parish church, Ramsden, Oxfordshire.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Bottisham church also contains a window and tablet in memory of Colonel Soame Gambier-Jenyns of Bottisham Hall, who took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War, and survived. The last survivor of the Charge was Edwin Hughes, who died in 1927, aged 96, in Blackpool.
 

341o2

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
2,014
As well as the world's oldest aquarium, Brighton also has a naturist beach
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The travel writer / novelist / journalist Bruce Chatwin was a resident of Ozleworth. He was born in Sheffield.
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
The well-respected chemist and academic Anthony Ledwith was Head of the Chemistry Department at the University of Sheffield from 1998 onwards.
Prior to this, Ledwith's first senior academic post was as Campbell Brown Professor of Industrial Chemistry in the University of Liverpool.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The London Borough of Enfield also has a heraldic-type mythical creature, exclusively or largely associated with the respective settlement concerned. With Liverpool it is, of course, the Liver Bird; with Enfield, the eponymous Enfield: an interesting fox / eagle / greyhound / lion / wolf compound -- sometimes, additionally with wings.
 

Top