I don't want them to be scrapped but they could do with a bit of an update. For example, when I travel with friends on advances we may not be able to book seats next to each other, even with East Coast their seating map doesn't always work properly.
I have been told to move to my reserved seat twice now and that they could have made me pay full anytime fare but told me as long as I moved to my seat I would be let off! To me this is an extreme and if you are moving to a seat that isn't reserved surely it should be fine. Especially since one of the times I moved was on the 0703 Flying Scotsman service from NCL and so since no-one was standing it should have been fine moving! I understand advance ticket means you must sit in that specific seat, but surely you should be allowed to move.
I would prefer an advance ticket which ties me to a train and reserves me a seat, but doesn't tie me to a specific seat - if that makes sense. So, for example I could buy an advance NCL - KGX and then I would be added to the list of people reserved to that service, so say all seats are filled once 200 people are on board, then once that 200 mark is reached advance tickets wouldn't be able to be purchased. But the only catch on doing this is I wouldn't be guaranteed a seat upon boarding as other passengers may have Anytime tickets or Off-peak tickets.
I've also been on a service that was unreserved due to a printer issue at the depot and as I had an anytime ticket I thought I was extremely lucky as it meant getting a table seat since the train was from the depot and so it was empty. Upon reaching York a very grumpy family boarded (2 adults, 1 baby) who started shouting at me telling me to move seats as they had reserved those seats, I pointed out there were no reservations on this service and as such you could sit anywhere, bearing in mind there were still 3 seats around me, I then told them they could still sit down, to which they shouted saying 'There are four of us you idiot!'. I pointed out you can't reserve a seat for a child under 5 unless they have paid the fare. Thankfully the TM was at the door's just at the end of the carriage so I left my bag on my seat (it only had a few sandwiches in) and asked him to come along when he had the time. About 10 minutes later, he came along and told the family there were no reservations, they then started kicking off at the TM. He threw them off at Doncaster as they were being extremely abusive.
Normally, I would move as soon as I was asked but the way they came along and started mouthing off at me straight away and as there where three seats around me they could have sat down with the baby on their lap, or on the table as they didn't have any luggage or food. Although this was probably a rarity, it shows just how much people think a reservation is important to them and that if they can't sit down they can't actually get on that train.