ModernRailways
Established Member
- Joined
- 21 Apr 2011
- Messages
- 2,185
It would be good to know what the NRCoC say about it but I can't seem to load it up.
I am not entirely sure myself, but a couple of posts earlier in the thread suggested otherwise.
Why is this hard? Normal practice <> the rules. As with so many other things on the railways, expecting normal service that is strictly outside the rules, and/or taking it for granted, is lining yourself up for a shock every now and again.
Calm down. I have never suggested it was right either way.
If I book an advance ticket and are allocated a seat not of my choosing and then end up in a near empty carriage and decide to take what I deem a better seat, not to the detriment of anyone else, I am then outside the rules and expecting a shock?
Because that evens it up for everyone and is fair, you get to the station first and get a seat, you dont you wont!
I appreciate that on busy routes and mid journey then it isnt fair on families etc but if they weant extra then they pay for it!
I like a window seat at a table of four and they never come up for single travellers.
Are you allowed to move your reservation label in this case? If so, I can't see any problem with it.
I know the EC web-site has the drag-n-drop seat chart but it seems programmed to not allow you to move the cheapest Advances to better seats.
Are the different tiers pre-allocated specific seats then?It's not the cheapest, it's the last ticket at that price tier. Which, of course, normally means it affects them the most as there will be fewer tickets at the cheapest tier than higher tiers but it isn't a deliberate policy.
I wouldn't like to say, especially after I got scalded above.
I wouldn't think that moving the reservation was the right thing to do, isn't that a breach of byelaws in itself? But I still don't see the issue in the specific scenario I set out above though.
Are the different tiers pre-allocated specific seats then?
I wouldn't like to say, especially after I got scalded above.
I wouldn't think that moving the reservation was the right thing to do, isn't that a breach of byelaws in itself? But I still don't see the issue in the specific scenario I set out above though.
If however you move the label, it is no longer an issue.
It's a byelaw offence to move the label though, IIRC there's usually a warning to that effect printed on it... :roll:
I am not entirely sure myself, but a couple of posts earlier in the thread suggested otherwise.
I know the EC web-site has the drag-n-drop seat chart but it seems programmed to not allow you to move the cheapest Advances to better seats. Of course, on the train I then sit there when there's no reservation.
If however you move the label, it is no longer an issue.
In fact I just turned up at Brighton station yesterday and got on the Bristol Temple Meads service without a reservation - belive that takes a little more than 1 hour.