• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish stations under threat of closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmac

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
26
Having read a bit about Transport Scotland's consultation proposal to close about 10 stations in Glasgow and the West of Scotland.

What are the chances of any of these stations actually closing as the number of users seems to be rising
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I spoke with Keith Brown MSP, Transport Minister, yesterday - this was mentioned by one of my colleagues during the meeting. He claims that the list of (nine) stations came from someone who requested a list of stations within one mile of another.

He also says that he won't rule out anything, since it could be liable to challenge if he did, and that he is not proposing the closure of any stations - it is simply a consultation.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
If the transport bosses are determined enough, it doesn't matter about growing usage, they will close regardless. I seem to remember a couple of Far North line stations were mentioned, I can see them as being opposed due to the small communities they serve, but places like Golf St (also proposed for closure) do have several alternative stations and transport around them, so they, I suspect, would be more likely to go.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
If the transport bosses are determined enough, it doesn't matter about growing usage, they will close regardless. I seem to remember a couple of Far North line stations were mentioned, I can see them as being opposed due to the small communities they serve, but places like Golf St (also proposed for closure) do have several alternative stations and transport around them, so they, I suspect, would be more likely to go.

They're not, there's apparently "no intention" to close stations - the media have stirred a lot of it up...apparently.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can anyone provide a link (or a link to a link, etc :lol:) that details said proposal please?

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk...publications-and-consultations/j203179-00.htm
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Smoke and mirrors time then, from the linked consultation...

7.11 We do not intend to reduce the size of the Scottish rail network, or reduce the number of stations, but we are considering whether it would be possible to re-configure the network by reviewing the location of stations. We would welcome views on what locations may be more appropriate for stations and which current stations are no longer required. Overall, we are considering the location of stations that could offer the greatest benefits to Scotland.

Does that mean as long as they open a new one for every closure, that doesn't count? :roll:
 

imagination

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2010
Messages
505
I don't think anyone much would complain about golf street closing, particularly not if they took the opportunity to fill in the gaps in the service from Dundee to Carnoustie.
 

Gmac

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
26
It would be a bit daft to be closing stations when the general idea is to encourage people to use public transport. But if politicians are involved I suppose anything could happen.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It seems sensible to look at the locations of stations. Whereas statiosn may once have been sited in a convenient place that may have changed over the years, perhaps due to housing developments, or the decline of heavy industry.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It seems sensible to look at the locations of stations. Whereas stations may once have been sited in a convenient place that may have changed over the years, perhaps due to housing developments, or the decline of heavy industry.

Straying south of the border, you only need to see in the Manchester area, what passenger and freight traffic Ashburys station used to serve at one time with all the now-gone heavy engineering industry of East Manchester. You have made a very valid point here about how things can change over a period of time.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
It would be a bit daft to be closing stations when the general idea is to encourage people to use public transport. But if politicians are involved I suppose anything could happen.

The whole issue with the no non-Scotrail trains past the central belt came from Politicians, Transport Scotland cheekily played it up to the media to try and get them to back down as they didnt agree with it.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Straying south of the border, you only need to see in the Manchester area, what passenger and freight traffic Ashburys station used to serve at one time with all the now-gone heavy engineering industry of East Manchester. You have made a very valid point here about how things can change over a period of time.

I was conscious of the GM area when I wrote my post. I am sure there are other areas as well - Middlesbrough is one that comes to mind, but I can't remember the exact details, was there a station just east of the city that was closed relatively recently?
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I was conscious of the GM area when I wrote my post. I am sure there are other areas as well - Middlesbrough is one that comes to mind, but I can't remember the exact details, was there a station just east of the city that was closed relatively recently?

I am not local, but Grangetown and Cargo Fleet do appear on Wikipedia as being closed in 1991 and 1990, respectively. These were small stations either side of South Bank, which is open, on the Tees Valley Line. Both stations were east of Middlesbrough.

On the Scottish stations topic, do you think they might be able to keep Golf Street and Barry Links open just for the fun of it? I mean, there must be at least a little revenue to be made from hardcore railway enthusiasts who like to visit obscure locations. Altnabreac station is apparently used almost exclusively by such people. ;)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I am not local, but Grangetown and Cargo Fleet do appear on Wikipedia as being closed in 1991 and 1990, respectively. These were small stations either side of South Bank, which is open, on the Tees Valley Line. Both stations were east of Middlesbrough.

Ah, yes, Cargo Fleet, that was it! I didn;t know there was a second one though. I think the name of the former must have stuck in my mind!

On the Scottish stations topic, do you think they might be able to keep Golf Street and Barry Links open just for the fun of it? I mean, there must be at least a little revenue to be made from hardcore railway enthusiasts who like to visit obscure locations. Altnabreac station is apparently used almost exclusively by such people. ;)

I believe that they should try an improved service first, before closure. Previous discussions have mentione dthe area around Barry Links should provide custom for more frequent trains, and has pointed out that the present level of service is not attractive.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,062
Location
Reston City Centre
On the Scottish stations topic, do you think they might be able to keep Golf Street and Barry Links open just for the fun of it? I mean, there must be at least a little revenue to be made from hardcore railway enthusiasts who like to visit obscure locations. Altnabreac station is apparently used almost exclusively by such people. ;)

Does anyone know the cost of keeping an unstaffed station open? Just to put things into context?
 

kylemore

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,047
I spoke with Keith Brown MSP, Transport Minister, yesterday - this was mentioned by one of my colleagues during the meeting. He claims that the list of (nine) stations came from someone who requested a list of stations within one mile of another.

He also says that he won't rule out anything, since it could be liable to challenge if he did, and that he is not proposing the closure of any stations - it is simply a consultation.

Your pal should simply rule it out now and read the riot act to Transport Scotland/Network Rail, "read my lips NO CLOSURES"!
The "savings" would be ZERO no matter what sums Network Rail could conjure out of thin air, I don't imagine Keith Brown is an idiot so he will know fine well that the political cost would vastly outweigh any imaginary savings.
Also this sends out a totally negative message, it doesn't matter that theres another station round the corner or it's used by 1 punter a week, the lines been drawn - rail closures are so last century!
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Your pal should simply rule it out now and read the riot act to Transport Scotland/Network Rail, "read my lips NO CLOSURES"!
The "savings" would be ZERO no matter what sums Network Rail could conjure out of thin air, I don't imagine Keith Brown is an idiot so he will know fine well that the political cost would vastly outweigh any imaginary savings.
Also this sends out a totally negative message, it doesn't matter that theres another station round the corner or it's used by 1 punter a week, the lines been drawn - rail closures are so last century!

He's not my pal, I would have asked him other questions if it weren't for the fact I was representing an non-party political organisation at the time!
 

kylemore

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,047
He's not my pal, I would have asked him other questions if it weren't for the fact I was representing an non-party political organisation at the time!

Sorry no offense! I find it dificult to believe that this has been raised as a genuine cost saving exercise and not as political mischief.
The SNP should step on this immediately and dismiss it out of hand.
 

Gmac

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
26
Further to station closures. I have received a flyer through my door asking us to save my local station, Mosspark, from closure. The meeting has a councillor, MP, MSP and officials from Transport Scotland and SPT attending. Its at Rosshall Academy on 31/01 at 19:00. Unfortunately I'll miss it as I'm working.

Have the other stations under threat got campaigns running ? How serious is the threat of closure
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
Is there a list of the stations being considered for closu....Relocation?

The pdf link doesn't seem to list them?
 

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,070
Location
UK
Well it gets summin like 42 pax per year. Waste of time. Seriously, I live in a village of ~50 people, of which the vast majority drive, and the buses get more passengers on/off here than that!
Personally id like to build a chord(not me personally obv) to avoid the turnback, another to avoid the horseshoe so go straight into the westbound platform and avoid coombe jn halt, reducing journey time by a few minutes enough to have a clockface hourly service to looe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top