My own personal don't know is why and how so many intelligent Scottish people and residents of Scotland, are falling for the half truths and exaggerations being put forward by Salmond
Perhaps you are under a misapprehension? Perhaps the "many intelligent Scottish people" are inclinded towards a 'Yes' decision irregardless of anything Alex Salmond or any other politician has declared to the local media.
Perhaps their choice might have been informed by facts?
I suggest only this because I am one of those who don't watch TV nor read newspapers, so have no idea what may have been 'put forward by Salmond'. As a result, I'm condemned to making decisions based on official documents and discussion with officers, civil servants and others before I can form an opinion. I don't have the benefit of media statements, but I do still manage to form opinions.
Consequently, I rebut the suggestion that informed decisions follows from media reports of what politicians have been reported to have said.
I will leave it to others to determine whether or not I am 'intelligent'.
But, and for what my opinion is worth, I can add that speaking with Alex Salmond and his closest advisors leaves me in no doubt that he, and they, are 'intelligent'.
It disappoints me that political discussion of such importance is mapped onto the perception of personalities in the media - personalities who come and go, but issues which are constant.
Of course, other interpretations of the facts are available. And I'm equally sure that a cacophony of interpretations based on hysterical media noise is also available.
But, the point of importance to me is nothing to do with Alex Salmond, nor with the SNP. If Scotland chooses to appoint its own governance, it will then hold an election, and only then will it be relevant to talk about parties or personalities. The
Scottish Independence Referendum Act entitles Scotland to choose to establish a government or not. and then, if approved, in its subsequent elections, the
Scotland Act entitles its people to vote for government members from the Conservatives, Greens, Lib Dems, Labour or whoever comes forward. It is misleading to assume that a vote for a national Government in this referendum just now is a vote for any particular political party or leader.
It is not. It is disingenuous to conflate the referendum for an independent government with a specific political party's success in such a future government should it be approved.