DynamicSpirit
Established Member
It's probably to a large extent caused by the security theatre and quality of experience at the air terminals. I get the impression that the success of budget airlines probably sowed the seeds of their own downfall. Air travel has become so competitive that operators are painted into a corner where they have nowhere to go but to compete on price.
I'm slightly suspicious that it's more a case, of noone's trying to compete on anything other than price.
At the moment, the choice for air travel seems to be ridiculously cheap no-frills prices to get a sardine-seat. Or ridiculously expensive business class prices for a luxury seat. Neither of those interests me. What I would like when I fly is to be able to pay - say - 10% more than the cheapest price, in return for getting a seat 10% bigger, perhaps a quicker boarding time (because bigger seats implies fewer passengers) and there being a very easy, well-advertised, penalty-free way change/cancel my ticket if my plans change. But so far as I've been able to tell when I've needed to book flights, none of the airlines or flight-selling websites seem interested in offering and seriously promoting anything like that. I understand lots of people will just follow the absolute cheapest fare, but I can't believe there's no market for a slightly premium service, charging slightly higher fares in return for a better passenger experience.
To get back onto the thread topic, however: Environmental concerns make it highly unlikely that I'd choose to fly London-Scotland, or on any other journey where the train gives a realistic alternative, under normal circumstances. I wonder if a similar growing environmental awareness amongst others has made some contribution to increasing the mode-share of rail?
Last edited: