• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Russia invades Ukraine

Broucek

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
949
Location
UK
I think some of it was designed for the likes of the Daily Express to pick up on, and duly frighten its readers
Not just the Express... Same in the Guardian. BBC rather less hysterical, to its credit

Unfortunately, fear and anger are part of the business model for today's media ("impact rather than insight" as a senior FT journo said to me recently).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,760
I wonder if this is an example of “escalating to deescalate”. I suspect they would be prepared to walk away with current borders formalised (referendums and “defending Russia” only works in that context) and they are gambling that they will get that.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I wonder if this is an example of “escalating to deescalate”. I suspect they would be prepared to walk away with current borders formalised (referendums and “defending Russia” only works in that context) and they are gambling that they will get that.
You may be right. Attempting to strengthen their position before entering in to negotiations. If that were the case, Ukraine should take the position that if Russia takes any territory, the rest of Ukraine should be free to join NATO.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
I wonder if this is an example of “escalating to deescalate”. I suspect they would be prepared to walk away with current borders formalised (referendums and “defending Russia” only works in that context) and they are gambling that they will get that.
Not a chance anybody is going to accept a Russian takeover of the south, so the places he's currently faking referendums in couldn't ever provide a basis for negotiation. The pre 2022 battle lines might be what he's after, but he isn't doing anything that would drive negotiations in that direction
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,711
Location
Scotland
I suspect they would be prepared to walk away with current borders formalised (referendums and “defending Russia” only works in that context) and they are gambling that they will get that.
And rewarding Russia for their aggression towards Ukraine with tens of thousands of square kilometres of additional territory is in whose interest?
 

GS250

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2019
Messages
1,031
Putin threatening nuclear attacks on Britain again!!! Absolute evil b*****d. How worried should we be that he'll actually do this? I would say he is mad and evil enough to do so. This is extremely extremely worryingly.

We've been here before but whatever he does will be met with at minimum a full UK nuclear response. Just remember we have enough warheads to pretty much end Russia as a functional Nation. In all likelihood it would be a full NATO response including America anyway. No more Russia of any description. China....who are probably the key players here would NOT be impressed at the post apocalypse environmental and economic catastrophe.

As someone else has said, it plays into the Western media's hands nicely. Yet again there's images of weapons systems any how many could be deployed etc. The 'willy waving' count of how many thousands of warheads is academic anyway. Once the first few hundred are done with...that's likely the end of proceedings anyway.

Its clear for me, Putin is nearing the end. However, the more he continues to fool his own people the longer he holds onto power.
 

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
We've been here before but whatever he does will be met with at minimum a full UK nuclear response. Just remember we have enough warheads to pretty much end Russia as a functional Nation. In all likelihood it would be a full NATO response including America anyway. No more Russia of any description. China....who are probably the key players here would NOT be impressed at the post apocalypse environmental and economic catastrophe.

As someone else has said, it plays into the Western media's hands nicely. Yet again there's images of weapons systems any how many could be deployed etc. The 'willy waving' count of how many thousands of warheads is academic anyway. Once the first few hundred are done with...that's likely the end of proceedings anyway.

Its clear for me, Putin is nearing the end. However, the more he continues to fool his own people the longer he holds onto power.
Pretty much what the Soviet Union used to do in the 70s/80s. Constantly threaten & try to provoke the rest of the world into fear, then get what they want.

It's only because the 90s/00s made us less fearful of rhetoric like this, that we're scared again.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
We've been here before but whatever he does will be met with at minimum a full UK nuclear response. Just remember we have enough warheads to pretty much end Russia as a functional Nation. In all likelihood it would be a full NATO response including America anyway. No more Russia of any description. China....who are probably the key players here would NOT be impressed at the post apocalypse environmental and economic catastrophe.

Got to remember about NATO article 5. A nuclear attack on any NATO member would result in retaliation from NATO as a whole, and one of the cornerstones of NATO is a willingness to use nuclear weapons if needed. So that's the US, UK and France bringing their arsenals to bear.

I'm not too concerned, mainly because there is clearly atrocious rot in the Russia Ground Forces, Air Force and Navy. I have no doubt the same rot is in the Rocket Forces and those rockets and warheads that need constant maintenance and likely of dubious functionality. I do wonder where North Korea and Iran got their nuclear material from...
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,711
Location
Scotland
I do wonder where North Korea and Iran got their nuclear material from.
Iran has domestic enrichment capacity sufficient to produce enough nuclear material for several nuclear reactors (their stated purpose) or a smaller number of fission bombs. It's slightly less clear if DPRK enriched all of their own material or purchased it from reprocessed Soviet-era devices.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,022
Location
Up the creek
The following is my opinion. The differences between now and the pre-1990s was that the Soviet leadership was more of a collective one: even though the General Secretary was dominant, it would be very difficult for him to take such a drastic decision alone. Putin has pretty well concentrated all the power in his hands, so there is nobody to put forward a more moderate view. The only restraint on Putin is that he must get the military to do the dirty work for him. The best hope is that the military will get fed up with seeing their forces being destroyed and decide that enough is enough. This is one case where a military coup might be a least worst option.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Iran has domestic enrichment capacity sufficient to produce enough nuclear material for several nuclear reactors (their stated purpose) or a smaller number of fission bombs. It's slightly less clear if DPRK enriched all of their own material or purchased it from reprocessed Soviet-era devices.

I would still suspect there may be a few military officers with very nice dachas on the Black Sea who are probably sweating quite a bit at the moment.

Meanwhile Non Credible Defense continues to make an utter mockery of everything that comes out of the Kremlin, esepcially about how they are "at war" with NATO...

"My Tzar, we are in a war against the entire NATO!"

"I see... What are our losses?"

"80 000+ causalities, 10 000+ armored vehicles, hundreds of aircraft, thousands of tons of ammunition in destroyed ammo depots, our foreign stocks, our credit rating, and our international image."

"And NATO losses?"

"NATO hasn't entered the battlefield yet."

Russia-NATO war

Russia: 50 000 dead, thousands of equipment destroyed, economy in ruins

NATO: has not yet entered the conflict

I do recommend a read of that subreddit if you want a surreal chuckle at this whole situation. NSFW if you do want to follow that link and quite tasteless at times.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Got to remember about NATO article 5. A nuclear attack on any NATO member would result in retaliation from NATO as a whole, and one of the cornerstones of NATO is a willingness to use nuclear weapons if needed. So that's the US, UK and France bringing their arsenals to bear.

I'm not too concerned, mainly because there is clearly atrocious rot in the Russia Ground Forces, Air Force and Navy. I have no doubt the same rot is in the Rocket Forces and those rockets and warheads that need constant maintenance and likely of dubious functionality. I do wonder where North Korea and Iran got their nuclear material from...

The other problem with launching an ICBM is that the launch would be detected instantly but (I don't think?) anybody would know the target. Therefore you'll very likely get a full response from all potential adversaries. It's completely suicidal.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,531
Location
Lichfield
I think some of it was designed for the likes of the Daily Express to pick up on, and duly frighten its readers

The Express is a disgrace, if you pay attention to them, WW3 has been due to start every day since Feb 24th.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
The Express is a disgrace, if you pay attention to them, WW3 has been due to start every day since Feb 24th.
That's simply not true. They had a week off that to pay respects to the queen, and they've been kept up "everything gives you cancer" Fridays throughout. I haven't actually checked, but I imagine the ongoing McCann saga has taken up some of their attention as well.

I'm still a bit confused as to who their audience is tbh. I can't imagine anybody under 60 reads it, and they must remember what it was like to live insouciantly under these kinds of threats in the 80s.
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
I think some of it was designed for the likes of the Daily Express to pick up on, and duly frighten its readers

Didn't work if that was the intention. Looking at the pictures on the BBC's Newspaper headline summary (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62989911), the Express is the only paper that doesn't mention Putin's threats on the front page (It's leading on a story about a proposed 2-week limit on the time to wait for a GP appointment). I think The Sun has the cleverest headline (Good News... Vlad News, contrasting the release of the Britons being held by the rebels in Donbas with Putin's threats)
 

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
721
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
What is not known us how China is going to react to the outcome of the 'referenda' whereby Russia takes ownership of parts of Ukraine. If the Chinese response is to support the outcome and so recognise these areas as being Russian territory then they could then supply Russia with weaponry under the guise of helping a country to defend it's territory.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
What is not known us how China is going to react to the outcome of the 'referenda' whereby Russia takes ownership of parts of Ukraine. If the Chinese response is to support the outcome and so recognise these areas as being Russian territory then they could then supply Russia with weaponry under the guise of helping a country to defend it's territory.
Doesn't any "swap" of land have to go throught the United Nations or similar body? Surely you can't just claim territory on fixed referendums?


Russian police are reported to have arrested hundreds of protesters rallying against the Kremlin's decision to call up thousands of extra troops to fight in Ukraine.
Russian human rights group OVD-Info put the total at more than 1,300. The largest numbers arrested were in St Petersburg and Moscow.
Dozens were held in Irkutsk and other Siberian cities, and Yekaterinburg.
Flights out of Russia sold out fast after Vladimir Putin's announcement.

Nothing there that wasn't predicted, those wishing to escape the call up can only fly to territories that accept Russians without visas, I'm thinking maybe we in Europe could accept them if they can prove they are "reservists" to (a) save their lives and (b) reduce the numbers fighting against Ukraine?
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,744
The Express is a disgrace, if you pay attention to them, WW3 has been due to start every day since Feb 24th.
I'm surprised they haven't run an opinion piece on what Princess Diana would have done in WW3....
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Didn't work if that was the intention. Looking at the pictures on the BBC's Newspaper headline summary (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62989911), the Express is the only paper that doesn't mention Putin's threats on the front page (It's leading on a story about a proposed 2-week limit on the time to wait for a GP appointment). I think The Sun has the cleverest headline (Good News... Vlad News, contrasting the release of the Britons being held by the rebels in Donbas with Putin's threats)

It seems slightly odd to threaten us with nuclear annihilation and then a few hours later say “here, have your captured nationals back”. I suspect it’s all just to keep us guessing……

Nothing there that wasn't predicted, those wishing to escape the call up can only fly to territories that accept Russians without visas, I'm thinking maybe we in Europe could accept them if they can prove they are "reservists" to (a) save their lives and (b) reduce the numbers fighting against Ukraine?

I thought the same but I suppose the security risk is too great.

Putin did previously say he’d cause a refugee crisis didn’t he?
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
It seems slightly odd to threaten us with nuclear annihilation and then a few hours later say “here, have your captured nationals back”. I suspect it’s all just to keep us guessing……



I thought the same but I suppose the security risk is too great.

Putin did previously say he’d cause a refugee crisis didn’t he?
Such threats are fairly routine, it's just that the papers have decided to make some headlines - doom (however unlikely) makes them money.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Such threats are fairly routine, it's just that the papers have decided to make some headlines - doom (however unlikely) makes them money.

True, although it’s not usually Putin himself making them. At least he confirmed that he was indeed bluffing previously though!
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
It seems slightly odd to threaten us with nuclear annihilation and then a few hours later say “here, have your captured nationals back”. I suspect it’s all just to keep us guessing……



I thought the same but I suppose the security risk is too great.

Putin did previously say he’d cause a refugee crisis didn’t he?
Think the obvious solution is to get called up, end up on the front line, surrender, be captured as a Prisoner of War and claim asylum? That's if you can get to the point of surrender without being killed first. If it were me, my mental mindset would be, the minute I'm given a weapon, would be to turn it against my superiors and say "if I'm going down then you're going down with me" vis-a-vis those superiors will be watching their backs more than their Ukranian opponents?
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Think the obvious solution is to get called up, end up on the front line, surrender, be captured as a Prisoner of War and claim asylum? That's if you can get to the point of surrender without being killed first. If it were me, my mental mindset would be, the minute I'm given a weapon, would be to turn it against my superiors and say "if I'm going down then you're going down with me" vis-a-vis those superiors will be watching their backs more than their Ukranian opponents?

This is the problem Putin now has. As I’ve said previously, none of these reservists are willing participants, or else they wouldn’t be reservists at this point. The Russians have been trying to recruit for months. Some may feel a sense of duty and fight, albeit reluctantly, but I expect many will do whatever it takes not to, whether that be surrendering to the Ukrainians, blowing holes in themselves, deserting, or indeed mutinying.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
This is the problem Putin now has. As I’ve said previously, none of these reservists are willing participants, or else they wouldn’t be reservists at this point. The Russians have been trying to recruit for months. Some may feel a sense of duty and fight, albeit reluctantly, but I expect many will do whatever it takes not to, whether that be surrendering to the Ukrainians, blowing holes in themselves, deserting, or indeed mutinying.
One thought, if they can't train, equip or feed their regular army properly, what chance the reservists? They would have been last in line for any such training/equipment, and I doubt they will get much before being thrown to the wolves, and add there's a very severe winter ahead of them - they will probably be extremely cold, hungry, frightened, homesick....basically a ticking bomb. I frankly can't see it any other way....if they wanted to fight the war, they'd already be there?

But back home, if Putin starts to call up the police then I bet they won't be as keen to break up the demonstrations. The key phrase that the Russians are "googling" is "how to break an arm" apparantly - a disability like that means you don't get called up I suppose. What price an arm and a leg??



Google searches for "how to break an arm at home" surged in Russia after President Vladimir Putin announced a partial mobilisation

of the population to fight in Ukraine.

The Russian president said conscription would only be applied to reservists, with the decree taking effect on Wednesday.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, who spoke after Putin's address to the nation, said 300,000 men with "previous military experience" would now be called up.
 

Top