Leaving RJs comments to one side entirely....
How is it that an appeals service maintains that they do not know the rules ( " you're are correct...that it is not my area of expertise".)
And it's not as if Southeastern can claim they weren't aware:Unless the ticket specifically says "Not Valid On HS1" or words to that effect, there is no ground to refuse a passenger travel. It is just another line with trains running over it.
SRA said:For the avoidance of doubt, the CTRL will be included in the Routeing Guide in relation to Domestic Services, and fares set by both the IKF franchisee and other fare-setters will be bound by the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement (TSA).
...and as has already been stated, ATOC are not an independent source of advice on ticket validity, but a very biased source in favour of the TOC. The clue's in the nameThe appeals service do not necessarily have to know the rules, I think the letter stated they could contact ATOC for advice on validity. If they do not know the rules and do not seek support then I agree that is a problem (how can they arbitrate without knowledge) but if they are sourcing information from a separate, independent party it does not matter if they do not know themselves, as long as they are consulting people who do.
I link this into my work as an auditor, I do not know every accounting standard in depth, but if I come across an interpretation I am not sure of, I consult people who know more about this than I do. You can't be an expert on everything (well, except RJ and routing guides of course!)
(Although part of me thinks the whole thing might have been easier if HS1 had a supplementary fare system instead.)
The problem being that ATOC cannot be described as being 'independent' - their purpose is to represent the interests of TOCs. So they have a vested interest in penalty fare appeals not being successful.but if they are sourcing information from a separate, independent party it does not matter if they do not know themselves
The appeals service do not necessarily have to know the rules, I think the letter stated they could contact ATOC for advice on validity. If they do not know the rules and do not seek support then I agree that is a problem (how can they arbitrate without knowledge) but if they are sourcing information from a separate, independent party it does not matter if they do not know themselves, as long as they are consulting people who do.
I link this into my work as an auditor, I do not know every accounting standard in depth, but if I come across an interpretation I am not sure of, I consult people who know more about this than I do. You can't be an expert on everything (well, except RJ and routing guides of course!)
transmanche said:The problem being that ATOC cannot be described as being 'independent' - their purpose is to represent the interests of TOCs. So they have a vested interest in penalty fare appeals not being successful.
Tickets are valid in accordance with the NRCoC, when it comes to the route you may take, the NRCoC refers to the shortest route, through trains, and routes shown in the Routeing Guide.Just for clarity (not about this but in general), assuming they would otherwise be valid as per the routing guide, tickets are only invalid on HS1 if they specifically say so? Or are Southeastern inventing their own rules about this?![]()
So for each appeal they have to rely on someone else? That does not sound very sensible to me.The appeals service do not necessarily have to know the rules
RPSS (Revenue Protection Support Services) and IPFAS (Independent Penalty Fares Appeals Service) purport to be independent, but in fact are trading names of Southeastern (source). Do they count as "independent" of Southeastern in your view?... if they are sourcing information from a separate, independent party...

There are some good people at ATOC who certainly aren't biased, but as an organisation then, by definition, given that the TOCs are members of ATOC, it would be difficult for them to claim to be truly independent....and as has already been stated, ATOC are not an independent source of advice on ticket validity, but a very biased source in favour of the TOC. The clue's in the name.
Tickets are valid in accordance with the NRCoC, when it comes to the route you may take, the NRCoC refers to the shortest route, through trains, and routes shown in the Routeing Guide.
If a ticket is routed "via Gravesend" then the rule is that you look at permitted routes which pass through Gravesend. If there are none, then the rule is as described in our Guide.
There are some good people at ATOC who certainly aren't biased, but as an organisation then, by definition, given that the TOCs are members of ATOC, it would be difficult for them to claim to be truly independent.
Generally, if someone high up at ATOC tells a TOC manager that a particular ticket is valid, then most TOCs will accept that. But ATOC cannot tell them what to do, and some TOCs appear to disregard such information.
Also, Passenger Focus cannot tell a TOC what to do.
In fact, it seems there is no-one we can contact who can actually independently verify validity and tell the TOC to drop a particular action or accept a particular ticket.
Who is actually Regulating?
Certain powers that I would say appear to be regulatory powers, appear to have been devolved to ATOC, and that's not right at all.
The DfT also caves in to almost* all TOC demands when it comes to changing conditions, routeing etc.
(* with a few exceptions where there would be huge negative publicity, such as abolishing NRCoC Condition 19).
The appeals service do not necessarily have to know the rules, I think the letter stated they could contact ATOC for advice on validity. If they do not know the rules and do not seek support then I agree that is a problem (how can they arbitrate without knowledge) but if they are sourcing information from a separate, independent party it does not matter if they do not know themselves, as long as they are consulting people who do.
I link this into my work as an auditor, I do not know every accounting standard in depth, but if I come across an interpretation I am not sure of, I consult people who know more about this than I do. You can't be an expert on everything (well, except RJ and routing guides of course!)
There are (or were) some people who incorrectly think that HS1 is special and that tickets are not valid via HS1 unless specifically routed "via HS1", but reports of such encounters are, fortunately, decreasing now.I should have made it clearer - I do understand that. I was just wondering if *in practice* Southeastern had their own (incorrect) rules they were applying over HS1 validity, or if it's just some staff/some tickets (like the one in question here).
Don't worry, I know what you meant, and I agree!Sorry, I shouldn't have said biased - but yes, certainly not independent.
Whether or not "/" means "and" or "or" is a matter on which we do not have consensus.Surely if it's restriction is via Gravesend or Tilbury then as long as you are going via Tilbury the requirement for via Gravesend is negated? And as there is no mention of not via HS1 it is therefore valid via HS1 without supplement?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
A forward slash ( "/" ) is intended to be used, in the English language, as a way of allowing alternative words to be used, for example "and/or". To put it another way, it is not "and", nor is it an option of "and" or "or", it is "or".
If they wanted to resolve this properly, the best way is surely to speak to the ferry operator, do a deal for inclusive tickets, and add the times to the NRT.
That's the usual way it works. It's to stop companies saying "oh but we intended it to mean this and it's your fault for not reading our minds" :P
Am I right in thinking that in consumer law, ambiguity is resolved to the benefit of the customer? If the / is ambiguous (and it seems to be used variably for and and or on other tickets) then it can't be claimed to be definitively one or the other by TOCs
And some other 'senior members' are of the opinion that under EU law, consumer legislation does apply.One of the senior members of this forum is of the opinion that such consumer legislatoin does NOT apply to rail tickets.
)He already did
The NRCoC informs us that we can take the shortest route, through trains, and routes shown in the Routeing Guide, and the Routeing Guide lists the following maps:
The Routeing Guide can be found on the ATOC website.