• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT to ballot guards on East coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
However they are also allow for remote monitoring by CCTV; aside for stations where there are multiple gatelines and one or more are unstaffed, I'm not aware of places on the national network where this happens (but I've not been everywhere!), although it's quite commonplace on LU.

St Albans has a gateline controlled by CCTV.

Welwyn Garden City now uses CCTV and monitors to cover the lifts, which would allow people to bypass the gates to get to platform level or vice versa. At present, they don't appear to use it to control the gates on two individual platform islands from one place - but I don't go there often enough to know that for sure.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
St Albans has a gateline controlled by CCTV.

Welwyn Garden City now uses CCTV and monitors to cover the lifts, which would allow people to bypass the gates to get to platform level or vice versa. At present, they don't appear to use it to control the gates on two individual platform islands from one place - but I don't go there often enough to know that for sure.

With regards to the WGC lifts, they can actually be controlled by the gateline staff remotely - when in such use, passengers are supposed to show their tickets to the CCTV somehow in order to use the lift.

Rather have the Maidenhead setup though where the lifts are controlled remotely if needed in the platform office.

I know Huntingdon has the gateline on platform 3 managed by cctv when no staff are on the platform.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
That's what I meant about WGC for the lifts, but I don't think they use the same system to control the gates on platform 1/2 if they're only staffing 3/4. As far as I can see, if the other gates aren't manned, they're simply left open.

I would imagine you could wave any ticket to the camera to be allowed to use the lift. Perhaps they should have put a wide gateline barrier at the bottom of the lift (plenty of room) and monitored that instead.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Just to update on this thread, East Coast guards have voted overwhelmingly to accept an improved package from the company to compensate on lost commision, this basically adds 1000 pounds to their salary and see's their commission paid at 3 % on sales up to 400 pounds and 4% above it. In the event of a further drop in commission after this 1000 pounds consolidation payment a furthe 300 pounds will be consolidated into their salary from next May.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, although I was against the strike ballot, it obviously helped to achieve a good settlement. And without any need to actually go on strike this time! Good news for everyone!
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Genuine question - how many guards have a memory good enough to remember, even roughly, which passengers they have already checked and which are new on a long train? I imagine a few have got good memories, but most wouldn't be able to remember more than a small proportion.

I've done TTI on a preserved railway a few times, I was terrible for remembering who had been checked. I just resorted to saying "Boat of Garten [or wherever] tickets please" as I walked down the train. Problem was that so many pax offered me their tickets again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top