Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
In fact, the police are the biggest problem of the lot when it comes to the "Not on my patch approach" They seem happy to foist the problem onto the trains.
I must admit that I think Scotland have gone the right way on this one by having one single national Police Force and not separate County forces. The latter does just cause that insularity. I also don't see why there's a standalone BTP rather than just "rail units" of the main force.
Change that so there is a single "Police England and Wales" and things would I think improve. And fund it properly, of course.
Let's be honest here. Merseyrail compared to the rest of the TOC's is a bit of an enigma. It's kind of unique in it's working practises. Ripe for change, yet stuck in it's ways.
It is, and that's why I support DOO for Merseyrail but not necessarily[1] for Northern. Merseyrail doesn't really have a comparison in the UK, being a near fully-segregated German-style S-Bahn very similar to that in Hamburg and Berlin but not really like anything else. The closest UK comparison is really something like the Metropolitan Line, but even that has more co-running (with Chiltern and other SSL Tube lines).
[1] I support driver-released doors throughout the network, however, but guard-closed.
Last edited: