danbarnstall
Member
- Joined
- 1 Apr 2014
- Messages
- 111
I saw that and immediately thought just how did they consult the membership?
Guessing they willl have weekly union branch meetings of some sort, or maybe monthly?
I saw that and immediately thought just how did they consult the membership?
‘As we predicted, the RMT has sunk to a new low by inflicting their strikes on the Grand National. Damaging the company and its passengers is one thing, but damaging the whole of the Liverpool city region on one of its proudest and most important days of the year is impossible to understand. It cannot be right that the RMT executive, sitting in London, has taken an unnecessary decision that represents a barefaced attack on the reputation of our region.
‘The Saturday of the Grand National is one of our busiest times of the year, and we will make every attempt to ensure that we successfully move around the high volumes of people who choose to travel with us that day. Timetables for the day are currently being developed and will be published very soon.
‘We have put forward firm proposals about how we will look after our guards, who, subject to successful negotiations with the RMT, are being guaranteed work in the business, once the new trains are introduced in three years’ time.’
RMT rep on Granada Reports has just said that their members demanded to strike on Grand National Day to show how angry they are.
Now there's a thought...Wirral to central high level!
But it is not relevant here.
These new guards have been employed with the expectation of being employed by Merseyrail for three years. At no point has that expectation been in any way different.
The Wirral line loop is completely closed of a weekend at the moment until June (Unless they already have an agreement in place especially for Aintree weekend)
I saw that and immediately thought just how did they consult the membership?
The Wirral line loop is completely closed of a weekend at the moment until June (Unless they already have an agreement in place especially for Aintree weekend)
Surprisingly, legally the non renewal of a fixed-term contract on its expiry constitutes a dismissal of the employee, even though both parties knew at the start of the contract when it would end.
Central high level (actually Low Level, the Wirral platforms are Deep Level, High Level no longer exists). Is the stock interchange line allowed with passengers?
Is that due to no evac routes?The stock exchange is not allowed with passengers. The plan was to have trains running to James Street as they do in the week.
Merseyrail I can see not backing down because they are going through a total fleet replacement in a short space of time which is going to make the guard grade vanish entirely . See what happens if/when Aslef go into dispute .They can't back down. Northern would be in breach of their franchise agreement if they did, while Merseyrail's financial case for new rolling stock would be destroyed.
This is the thing it is not just TOC's vs guards . I dont know any Drivers who want DOO either and if ASLEF go into dispute and opt to strike then there is no token service offering using barely trained managers to operate trains .It is a simple case of no wheels turningI predict this one will be long and painful but the TOCs will win and the guards will lose - with far less accommodation than they would get if it was just accepted.
It is not always as easy as refusing a job offer just because you dont like the terms . In the real world sometimes people have to take jobs despite them being offered on a temporary basis . I think it is only human that those people want job security however .The contract length was clear at the point of the job being offered. If you don't like the terms of the job offered, don't take it.
Misuse of contracts is one thing, but this is not misuse. Merseyrail require some guards for three years, so they are going to market to obtain some guards for three years. There is nothing whatsoever underhand about that, and in my view anyone saying otherwise is completely wrong.
I genuinely do not believe anyone will be forced out of Merseyrail's employment as a result of the plans
It is likely perhaps that more Drivers seeing last weeks action will refuse to cross picket lines this time making matters worse .I tried to work out if - assuming roughly the same number of drivers cross picket lines as did last week - Merseyrail would have enough staff available to scrape together a shuttle service from Liverpool to Aintree, at the expense of closing all other Northern Line routes. But I guess it would be risky, given the huge crowds expected, to advertise any sort of service if you're depending on staff crossing picket lines, as there's a good chance it won't run.
Is that due to no evac routes?
I hope, for the sake of those visiting Liverpool from afar, that at least 4tph can run to Aintree, even if nothing else runs. Not that I particularly care about the races, but because it is the city's reputation at stake.
Entirely predictable that the RMT would target the Grand National. During the last wave of strikes, back in 2005, they held a 48-hour strike on the Friday and Saturday of the festival, and not a single Merseyrail Electrics train ran during that period. Merseytravel organised a large fleet of buses to run a free shuttle service from Lime Street direct to the racecourse, which seemed to work quite well.
I tried to work out if - assuming roughly the same number of drivers cross picket lines as did last week - Merseyrail would have enough staff available to scrape together a shuttle service from Liverpool to Aintree, at the expense of closing all other Northern Line routes. But I guess it would be risky, given the huge crowds expected, to advertise any sort of service if you're depending on staff crossing picket lines, as there's a good chance it won't run.
Merseyrail's MD isn't mincing his words (link):
Yes apparently many non-union members didn't cross the picket lines at Merseyrail leading to lower than planned service though at Northern many union members reported for work allowing more services than planned to operate while at Southern strike observance is getting quite low.
Yes apparently many non-union members didn't cross the picket lines at Merseyrail leading to lower than planned service though at Northern many union members reported for work allowing more services than planned to operate while at Southern strike observance is getting quite low.
They can't back down. Northern would be in breach of their franchise agreement if they did, while Merseyrail's financial case for new rolling stock would be destroyed.
I predict this one will be long and painful but the TOCs will win and the guards will lose - with far less accommodation than they would get if it was just accepted.
I wonder what the media will make of this as an opportunity to get as much "news" out of it.
Liverpool is a bastion of the Labour Party and Joe Anderson is always trying to raise the profile of the city, so having the racing "Jewel in the Crown" affected transport-wise to a horse racing event which is known world-wide will cause him some angst. I wonder if he will make a media statement?
It is not always as easy as refusing a job offer just because you dont like the terms . In the real world sometimes people have to take jobs despite them being offered on a temporary basis . I think it is only human that those people want job security however .
I would argue however then that it is underhand for merseyrail to be stating that their position in relation to this dispute is that nobody is going to loose their job . They ought be more clear about the numbers of people that will effectively (and maybe even legally)be subject to redundancy because they are employed on fixed term contracts .
I personally believe that it is likely that some of these people who have been employed on temporary contracts will be forced out of Merseyrails employment as a result of their plans . Either of us could be right . But one thing is a fact . There is potential there for people to be forced out despite them wishing to stay on in that grade or another grade .
A 3 year contract is very good security. The Unions will get very little sympathy if they use that argument. Perhaps Merseyrail should be clearer thay only existing staff will be retained but I dont see anything wrong with them employeing people on a fixed term contract.
I personally believe that it is likely that some of these people who have been employed on temporary contracts will be forced out of Merseyrails employment as a result of their plans
I think they possibly all will. And I don't see why they shouldn't. It is quite clear what the contract is and why it is as it is. There is no deception. There is nothing underhand. Merseyrail need guards for three years and have advertised a role on that basis. I simply cannot see an issue with that.
A 3 year contract is very good security. The Unions will get very little sympathy if they use that argument. Perhaps Merseyrail should be clearer thay only existing staff will be retained but I dont see anything wrong with them employeing people on a fixed term contract.
I do not agree with that at all . They are making out like everybody who is currently in the guards grade will be offered an alternative job as the result of this . You know as well as I do that this is untrue .Nor me. That argument is tenuous in the extreme. They are being honest and up-front about their intentions and I fail to see any valid criticism of that whatsoever.
.
I think they possibly all will. And I don't see why they shouldn't. It is quite clear what the contract is and why it is as it is. There is no deception. There is nothing underhand. Merseyrail need guards for three years and have advertised a role on that basis. I simply cannot see an issue with that.
Surely people who are employed on 3 year contracts are still part of Merseyrail's employment , and I would suspect that when their 3 year contract is up some of them would rather remain on the railway than end up facing what is in effect redundancy and have to look for a new job . I would consider that people being forced out of Merseyrails employment when they would rather stay .Neil Williams said:I genuinely do not believe anyone will be forced out of Merseyrail's employment as a result of the plans