Dstock7080
Established Member
London Overground were not involved in the dispute
I think it's simply because part of the message hasn't been updated, which it should have been.TfL are still advising of potential station closures despite the RMT strike being suspended:
Can anyone say if this is in fact likely, and why?
Chiltern operate services on LUL tracks.
(oops sorry - realised this was already posted above)Some DLR, London Overground (including Night Overground) and Elizabeth line services may not stop at certain stations with Tube lines. This is due to possible station closures
Whilst they are on less money, I think it more likely that there has been no movement in reducing the working week from a five day, average 35 hour week with 30 minute unpaid break per day (so a 37.5 hour week), as Elizabeth Line and London Overground are on a 4 day, average 34 hour week including paid break.I assume the sticking point for ASLEF is pay parity so that Tube Drivers are on similar if not the same pay as London Overground and Elizabeth Lines drivers.
Whilst they are on less money, I think it more likely that there has been no movement in reducing the working week from a five day, average 35 hour week with 30 minute unpaid break per day (so a 37.5 hour week), as Elizabeth Line and London Overground are on a 4 day, average 34 hour week including paid break.
So Underground Train Operators have a fifth day of going to and from work, and are at work three and half hours longer per week.
It is also the case that many office workers at TfL now have hybrid working, where they can work from home, so have gained work/life balance. There has been no improvement for Train Operators, and they are lagging behind the whole of the rail industry actually, not just other TfL drivers, with a 35 hour 4 (or certainly less than 5) day week everywhere else.
1. It would require an entire rewriting of the Framework Agreements* that have been fought for over decades. (Specifically, the maximum driving times.)I’ve never understood why LU haven’t moved to a four day week like the TOCs. Yes it means slightly longer days, but an extra day off per week surely more than compensates for that. Personally I’d do three twelve hour shifts if I could (as some signallers do)!
Don't LU operators get more annual leave generally?
As it is set up at the moment with 'The Framework Agreement' the maximum shift length is currently 8h00 (8h30 with unpaid break). The shortest is 4h00 (4h30).I’ve never understood why LU haven’t moved to a four day week like the TOCs. Yes it means slightly longer days, but an extra day off per week surely more than compensates for that. Personally I’d do three twelve hour shifts if I could (as some signallers do)!
There were a few drivers on the mainline who wanted to stick with a five day week, but very much the minority, so surely it would also be overwhelmingly popular amongst underground drivers.
I’ve never understood why LU haven’t moved to a four day week like the TOCs. Yes it means slightly longer days, but an extra day off per week surely more than compensates for that. Personally I’d do three twelve hour shifts if I could (as some signallers do)!
There were a few drivers on the mainline who wanted to stick with a five day week, but very much the minority, so surely it would also be overwhelmingly popular amongst underground drivers.
I’ve never understood why LU haven’t moved to a four day week like the TOCs. Yes it means slightly longer days, but an extra day off per week surely more than compensates for that. Personally I’d do three twelve hour shifts if I could (as some signallers do)!
There were a few drivers on the mainline who wanted to stick with a five day week, but very much the minority, so surely it would also be overwhelmingly popular amongst underground drivers.
34 at Overground and 36 after 5 years43 days
+1 for 25years service
+1 for 40years service
But the monotony and intensity of LU drivers may be partially compensated with ATO?I think the monotony and intensity of the work would make it undesirable. [...]
Bakerloo, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City are entirely manual, pay differential?But the monotony and intensity of LU drivers may be partially compensated with ATO?
Talks with ASLEF and management planned for Tuesday
ASLEF action now suspended (15.55)Any early signs there might be some progress?
ASLEF said it had been given a "significantly improved" pay offer by London Underground management and it would discuss that offer with union members on Thursday.
As @whoosh noted, but is often not understood by the travelling public or media, these 43 days consist of about 30 days normal leave and about 13 days paying back compulsory compressed hours. These staff work 36 hours per normal week but are paid for 35. Effectively there are no more hours of annual leave than any other staff…43 days
+1 for 25years service
+1 for 40years service
Apologies for the incorrect information which was given in good faith.These staff work 36 hours per normal week but are paid for 35. Effectively there are no more hours of annual leave than any other staff…
Sorry that was not meant to be critical of your post. The 43 days is accurate, but it isn’t quite as generous as it appears at first glance. Aside from the compressed hours, leave is also mostly ‘rostered’; a Train Operator has holiday when the roster says they will, rather than when they choose. While they can swap leave weeks, they won’t always be able to take time off at Christmas or School holidays…Apologies for the incorrect information which was given in good faith.
I think it is fair to say there were many, many, many, different points of view in the mess room today! I'm waiting until January (and can see the actual proposals) before making my mind up.ASLEF action suspended due to the “groundbreaking offer” of 2.5hr less per working week to 35hr 4-day, with paid 30min meal relief (currently 38.5hr 5-day week + unpaid meal relief) to be discussed by January 2025.
What, like this?I expect there to be associated productivity changes so more flexibility is gained, although I expect the national press, and maybe even the railway press, will 'skip over' such detail, and the narrative to be "caving in to union demands," rather than the give and take involved in a proper negotiation.

ASLEF action suspended due to the “groundbreaking offer” of 2.5hr less per working week to 35hr 4-day, with paid 30min meal relief (currently 38.5hr 5-day week + unpaid meal relief) to be discussed by January 2025.
I think it is fair to say there were many, many, many, different points of view in the mess room today! I'm waiting until January (and can see the actual proposals) before making my mind up.
One comment I will make now though... The RMT is an all grades union, and this 4 day week proposal does not include any of the other grades! So I can see why ASLEF is gloating about it, but can't see how RMT are going to sell this. Admittedly, some grades are doing OK, and some already have 4 day weeks I think (or at least 4on/4off), but CSAs, CSSs, and CSMs will be languishing in their 5 day weeks. Heck, even my Trains Manager made a sarky comment today about the offer (they are not included either!)
Once again: no four day week deal has been agreed.
It is a commitment from LUL to have talks about working towards the proposal, but it is exactly that. It’s a shame everyone (including drivers) is getting caught up with this and missing the detail: that in reality nothing changes as part of this pay offer and it remains exactly the same as Aslef were rejecting last week.
At least on the RMT side gains were made around their red lines of pay bands and business rules.
www.aslefdistrict8.org