• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request stops when someone is waiting on the platform but doesn't have their hand out

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Clearly visible =/= making a clearly visible signal to the driver to stop.
I don't think that someone sitting on the bench would be clearly visible to the driver on approach from this direction:
o2791-0000013.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
The GWR app has no such note, only one stating tickets must be collected from another station first as no ticket machine to collect at Perranwell,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think that someone sitting on the bench would be clearly visible to the driver on approach from this direction:
]

Or in the hut from either direction.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,666
Location
LBK
The GWR app has no such note, only one stating tickets must be collected from another station first as no ticket machine to collect at Perranwell

No app or TOC website states this - a large portion of travellers use the booking confirmation and itinerary from their ticket retailer as the principal source of information for the journey.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
I don't think that someone sitting on the bench would be clearly visible to the driver on approach from this direction

Maybe, maybe not, who knows (not I, I wasn't there) my point was that NRES says you need to be visible, not visibly hailing the train, and that there is a difference. That's more in response to the OP than anything else.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
I phoned NRE last year at Dalston to find out where the 37 was-after I was told it was just under an hour late, I was told that Dalston was a request stop and I would need to clearly signal to the driver. I was alighting at a request stop too, and was told to make the conductor aware.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What is the universal signal for not wanting a train to stop?


I would use the same signal I use for buses in Germany, which must stop if anyone is waiting or if in doubt, which is to visibly step back while either shaking my head or waving the bus through.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,952
Location
UK
Users should download the new PlatformOn Stop app, then use their phone to flick an open hand at the oncoming train that, if successfully connected with the cab window, will prompt the driver to stop.

About time the rail industry embraced technology.
 
Last edited:

Amy Worrall

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
143
When in a hole, stop digging.

It can't be listed on the station information page as some 'request stop' status is a property of the service not the station. There are a some stations that are request for some services and mandatory for others. And request stops almost universally don't have ticket collection facilities so most passengers will be buying onboard rather than online.

It's a basic principle of usability in design, that if users are frequently misusing a system by making a mistake, then the system needs to change. It's not a matter of 'fault', simply that there are things the designers of the system could do to make someone's day a bit brighter —*so why not do them?

In this case, I would suggest one or both of two things:

- If any trains at all call at a station as a request stop, then on all the signs that display the station's name, _and_ on another sign next to every pedestrian entrance to the platform, add the text "This station is a request stop. When a train approaches, stand up and make yourself known to the driver." The text should be as large as possible, similar in size to the "Stop, look, listen" text on a level crossing.

- The guidance to drivers should be amended so that they are instructed to stop if they see anyone on the platform at all, whether or not the person expresses intent to catch the train.

I'm feeling a bit guilty now actually —*I've worked on a number of train times apps, and none of them tell the user that a stop is a request stop. There aren't any near me, so I guess I didn't think about the issue. I'm going to have to go and look at my data feeds and see if I can obtain that information!
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
I would use the same signal I use for buses in Germany, which must stop if anyone is waiting or if in doubt, which is to visibly step back while either shaking my head or waving the bus through.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've not had much success with doing that in London. The one I find always does work is to look at the driver, then the destination display, then get my phone out of my pocket and start looking at that
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
My grandparents' nearest station was Pemberton, not a request stop I don't think, but so much LIKE a request stop when you get down to the platforms that I often jutted out my hand as though flagging a bus when the train arrived as a "belt and braces" approach to getting back to Wigan :D
 

mirodo

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2011
Messages
649
Users should download the new PlatformOn Stop app, then use their phone to flick an open hand at the oncoming train that, if successfully connected with the cab window, will prompt the driver to stop.

About time the rail industry embraced technology.

A wild Pacer appeared!
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Some stations still have big signs saying it's a request stop when it's not any more. The one at Gowerton has I think finally been taken down, but I think the one at Huncoat is still there!

There's still a sign up at St Andrews Road too - Or there was a few months ago.
--

I was close to finding out what would happen if you remained seated/away from the platform edge as a train approached a request stop recently! A group of us were waiting for a Machynlleth bound train at Pensarn, but the Pwllheli service was due first (passing loop at Harlech). About three minutes before the Pwllheli train was due to arrive, someone else arrived and after, signalled the train to stop, then boarded.

I guess I would have shaken my head to the driver had the lady not been there.
 

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
I imagine it's a lot easier at day time to indicate your intention to get on the train than it is at night as well - particularly in the winter period.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top