• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Effects of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
Yes that sounds like yet another reason to take regulatory action against predatory pubco's to me! If it wasn't this they'd no doubt find another way to swindle the pub landlords.

Indeed. Some protection for landlords would be desirable.

I

Obviously all they care about is lining the pockets of directors and shareholders, and to hell if the actual pubs go under.

Would it make more sense if breweries owned the pubs? Their business, after all, is beer - so they have more to gain by keeping a pub open as a pub.

Well, you get good breweries and bad. Some of my favourite breweries have made some poor decisions around pub closures.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
1,028
I

Obviously all they care about is lining the pockets of directors and shareholders, and to hell if the actual pubs go under.

Would it make more sense if breweries owned the pubs? Their business, after all, is beer - so they have more to gain by keeping a pub open as a pub.
Not necessarily.

By having an untied pub, the landlord can choose his/her selection of beers etc, which means you're not stuck with whatever that brewery is churning out.

Plenty of pubs are successful and have a range from different breweries which would stop if all pubs were owned directly by the brewery.
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
Happy to say that on my last visit to Hospital and my GP surgery for appointments that wearing of Masks isn’t mandatory any longer
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Have to say that I agree with Paul here.

Using stupid terminology such as nappies when the correct word would be easier to type simply makes you look like somebody whose views we should not take seriously.

Many people on these forums other than myself have used the term "face nappies" in a pejorative sense to convey their complete and utter contempt for these wretched and ineffective things, and the nonsensical rules that were put in place around their use during the pandemic.

In a free and open forum people should have the right to express their opinions.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Many people on these forums other than myself have used the term "face nappies" in a pejorative sense to convey their complete and utter contempt for these wretched and ineffective things, and the nonsensical rules that were put in place around their use during the pandemic.

In a free and open forum people should have the right to express their opinions.
Quite so! Which is why I also hold the same view that "face nappies" is a ridiculous phrase and does those who use it no credit. But if they wish to do so then I nor anyone else can stop them from, in my opinion as an individual, looking silly.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Quite so! Which is why I also hold the same view that "face nappies" is a ridiculous phrase and does those who use it no credit. But if they wish to do so then I nor anyone else can stop them from, in my opinion as an individual, looking silly.
Indeed. Same applies to “muzzles”.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Not necessarily.

By having an untied pub, the landlord can choose his/her selection of beers etc, which means you're not stuck with whatever that brewery is churning out.

Plenty of pubs are successful and have a range from different breweries which would stop if all pubs were owned directly by the brewery.

That is a good point, and, to clarify, I would be fully supportive of genuine "free houses" owned by the actual landlord and their associates, or even some kind of local community association.

But companies such as the case being discussed just sound decidedly questionable, and don't appear to care about actually keeping the pub open.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
I think this is a very sad story of the after effects of COVID on a pub, but it could equally apply to many other businesses.

The pub was forced to close, but the insurance company wouldn't pay out on the business interruption policy, the government support wasn't sufficient, and the greedy landlord decided to pursue the couple running the pub for the full amount of the rent, even though they were not trading and thus bringing in no revenue.

Those who would advocate lockdowns and business closures in similar circumstances in the future need to decide where, and on whom, the financial burden should fall.



I know that pub from my younger days, and in fact intended to go there this weekend. Seems I was a week late.

OT, but bonus point to anyone who correctly guesses how you pronounce the name of the village.

Have to say that I agree with Paul here.

Using stupid terminology such as nappies when the correct word would be easier to type simply makes you look like somebody whose views we should not take seriously.

100% agree. It is, of course, a free speech forum, but using such terms just makes those who use them look, well, silly.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
Was on a Ryanair flight and they announced due to Covid restrictions we are cashless.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Was on a Ryanair flight and they announced due to Covid restrictions we are cashless.

Which is a complete load of nonsense.

I can understand why a airline might want to go cashless, as it avoids potentially having to handle two different currencies on an international flight.

But if that is the reason, be honest with everyone and say so, rather than using COVID as an excuse.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
Which is a complete load of nonsense.

I can understand why a airline might want to go cashless, as it avoids potentially having to handle two different currencies on an international flight.

But if that is the reason, be honest with everyone and say so, rather than using COVID as an excuse.
I guess the guy was reading of a script.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
I guess the guy was reading of a script.
It's more likely that he was freelancing from a few bits of script he remembered tbh. Ryanair aren't given to apologising for things like making the flights card-only, so would be unlikely to knock up a script blaming Covid for it.
 

danm14

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2017
Messages
757
Did the UK ever have a curfew during Covid?
Northern Ireland had an 8pm to 6am curfew for a week after Christmas 2020.

All businesses, including those which were permitted to be open during lockdowns such as supermarkets, were required to close during these hours. This had the hilarious effect of making it exceptionally difficult for healthcare workers to buy food. Petrol stations could remain open, but could only sell fuel (and nothing else) and payment had to be taken through a hatch.

Although it was not in itself illegal to be outside your home between 8pm and 6am, it was exceptionally difficult to have a "reasonable excuse" to do so unless you were coming to/from work or going to the hospital. I think (but can't remember for certain) outdoor exercise was banned during these hours too.

Several taxi drivers in Belfast were even threatened with prosecution for taking nurses, postal staff, etc. to work, although they were not actually breaking the law by doing so.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Northern Ireland had an 8pm to 6am curfew for a week after Christmas 2020.

All businesses, including those which were permitted to be open during lockdowns such as supermarkets, were required to close during these hours. This had the hilarious effect of making it exceptionally difficult for healthcare workers to buy food. Petrol stations could remain open, but could only sell fuel (and nothing else) and payment had to be taken through a hatch.

Although it was not in itself illegal to be outside your home between 8pm and 6am, it was exceptionally difficult to have a "reasonable excuse" to do so unless you were coming to/from work or going to the hospital. I think (but can't remember for certain) outdoor exercise was banned during these hours too.

Several taxi drivers in Belfast were even threatened with prosecution for taking nurses, postal staff, etc. to work, although they were not actually breaking the law by doing so.

If the bits I've bolded aren't pure insanity, I don't know what is.

Presumably they tried it for a week, and relented.
 
Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
2,749
Location
Cheshunt
Are you being paid to remove these signs? If not, why would you waste your time doing something that makes absolutely no difference to anyone at all. Covid isn't a big deal these days by all accounts, and washing hands is generally a good idea that was a good idea before Covid.

I am certainly quite grateful that a number of shops still have hand sanitiser stations in them.
I applaud vigilante removing of these horrid signs. Any reminder of this time of over reach and clip board power hungry losers needs to be removed.

This includes patronising signs telling me how to wash my hands. Do you really think they make people who don’t, do?

Speed limit signs have t worked in 60 years
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,456
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I applaud vigilante removing of these horrid signs. Any reminder of this time of over reach and clip board power hungry losers needs to be removed.

This includes patronising signs telling me how to wash my hands. Do you really think they make people who don’t, do?

Speed limit signs have t worked in 60 years
Is vigilante removal of signs in premises committing an offence in law?

Would you also remove the type of poster that I saw in a GP surgery that stated that Covid booster doses were now available for the over-18s, with priority to the older age ranges?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Is vigilante removal of signs in premises committing an offence in law?
On the railway it's a breach of the byelaws. More widely I don't think it would be an offence in itself, although what you subsequently did to the sign might constitute littering or criminal damage.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
Great thanks for that, teaching me about littering.

Does sound like you're not bothered about littering, speeding or presumably anything that goes against what you personally believe in. Ever thought of becoming a Sovereign Citizen?
 

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
2,749
Location
Cheshunt
Does sound like you're not bothered about littering, speeding or presumably anything that goes against what you personally believe in. Ever thought of becoming a Sovereign Citizen?

Where do I say I go speeding and littering? Just see what you want to see eh
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
2,749
Location
Cheshunt
Who are you to decide and then take action without the consent of the owner of the premises in which a poster is displayed?
I am me and I make my own decisions, if there is an outdated poster telling me to keep my distance I will either tell them to take it down or if I can get away with it do it myself. You are going to have to live with that, if that’s what worries you then you must have very long days

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm not trying to "teach you about littering"; you asked a question and I answered it. Wind your neck in.
You did, you tried to inform me that I could litter in an effort to make the action of removing inappropriate signage worse. A sort of minority reportist action.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

On the railway it's a breach of the byelaws. More widely I don't think it would be an offence in itself, although what you subsequently did to the sign might constitute littering or criminal damage.
Not sure where the railway came into it. Seems like more minority report action, desperately looking for a way to make me the big bad wolf.

Quite why you are Xeno are obsessed with keeping up defunct signage I will never know.

Feels like Shroedingers sign.

It’s either just an old sign nobodies got around to remove therefore removing it is fine or it’s supposed to be up there still and it’s such a terrible crime to remove it because the meaning still stands and is appropriate
 
Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
One particular effect of the Covid pandemic that seems to be continuing is the annual booster injection programme.

They’ve got to use all of those doses we paid for in advance somehow!

On a serious note, whilst the booster may well be of benefit to the most vulnerable, I’m not at all convinced anybody else needs it. Unlike flu there is only a single strain of covid, so natural immunity should be perfectly adequate.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,456
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
They’ve got to use all of those doses we paid for in advance somehow!

On a serious note, whilst the booster may well be of benefit to the most vulnerable, I’m not at all convinced anybody else needs it. Unlike flu there is only a single strain of covid, so natural immunity should be perfectly adequate.
One unfortunate matter is that virus strains seem to have an annoying habit of developing new varieties. The "Common Cold" being a good example to quote and that is why the pharmaceutical laboratories are on a year-round reseach and development of vaccines.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top