• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund on separate going+return tickets for a weekend trip when only outward journey cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
I booked an advance single from Glasgow to London last Friday afternoon, and an advance single from London to Glasgow last Sunday evening. The plan was for a weekend in London. The two tickets were purchased in separate bookings.

All Friday trains were cancelled because of the storm, so I abandoned the trip.

Can I get a refund on both tickets? Would I be able to do this through delay repay as the Sunday train ran as scheduled?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Can I get a refund on both tickets?
Yes
Would I be able to do this through delay repay
No. Contact the retailer who sold you the ticket and make it clear that you abandoned your journey due to disruption and you should be given a full fee-free refund. Don't use Delay Repay - that is only for if you did make the journey and were delayed in the process.
 

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
Ok. So I guess there is some official rule which states this? or is it based on the goodwill of retailers?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Ok. So I guess there is some official rule which states this? or is it based on the goodwill of retailers?
National Rail Conditions of Travel -
29.2
...If a delay or cancellation on any leg of your journey is the reason you could not complete your journey, you are entitled to a full refund on any Tickets held for that journey under condition 30.1
30. Your Right to a Refund If Your Train Is Disrupted and You Choose Not to Travel

30.1 Conditions 30.1 – 30.4 cover all Tickets other than Season Tickets, and also apply if you have begun your journey but are unable to complete it due to a delay to, or cancellation of, your service. In such cases, you are permitted to return to your point of origin and still get a refund.

You may return an unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee charged, if you decide not to travel because the train you intended to use is:
• cancelled, or
• delayed, or
• rescheduled from that in Published Timetable of the Day after you have purchased a Ticket or Tickets, or
• your reservation will not be honoured
 

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
Ok. But technically I have two separate journeys "Glasgow to London" and some days later "London to Glasgow". They are not on the same itinerary. And actually "London to Glasgow" ran just fine, but obviously I wasn't there to get on it.

It doesn't seem the above rules directly refer to my situation?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Ok. But technically I have two separate journeys "Glasgow to London" and some days later "London to Glasgow".
I would argue it is one journey. You are clearly going from A to B and back to A. It refers to 'tickets' in the plural which indicates that multiple tickets can constitute one journey.

It's simple - the train you were intending to use was cancelled, so you abandoned your whole journey. You're entitled to a fee-free refund.

Who did you buy the ticket(s) from?
 

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
Seatfrog (Superfare tickets), so lets see how the refund goes. A quick search on this forum suggests somebody had to do a credit card chargeback due to their lack of response on refunds. Hopefully not the case for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top