• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Pen 2014 - your new haulages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm looking forward to the trip report :D

I really need to get up to Tyneside for my Heaton machines, although they manage to get down to South Yorkshire as well don't they? Hoping to get up there in the near future at least for some of them and to finish the Tyne and Wear Metro off!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
I'm looking forward to the trip report :D

I really need to get up to Tyneside for my Heaton machines, although they manage to get down to South Yorkshire as well don't they? Hoping to get up there in the near future at least for some of them and to finish the Tyne and Wear Metro off!

I usually find the pesky Heaton 142s following me around the Sheffield area when I'm bashing... I even managed two Heaton 156s on a return to Barrow-in-Furness a few weeks ago!

Thanks
 

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
Three newbies from the Manchester area yesterday. Slowly knocking off the Northern 150 units

18th August
150228
150269
150271
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
150203 on 19/08/14 and 150220 on 21/08/14.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
It's been a while since I made a post on here, so here's my update since then, covering a day in London, two around Manchester and a trip to Barry Island:

Locos - 08503.
Units - 165113, 166209, 350373/374/402/404/405/406/407/408, 365518, 377613/619/622/623/703, 390010, 390107 (2 cars).
Trams - 3062/64/71/79/80/81/82/83/85. (Just need 3084 of the operational fleet now, unless 3086/87 have entered service in the past week or so.)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I usually find the pesky Heaton 142s following me around the Sheffield area when I'm bashing... I even managed two Heaton 156s on a return to Barrow-in-Furness a few weeks ago!

Thanks

Ah fair play, I've normally only had Newton Heath 142s in the Sheffield area.

Can't remember which 156 I had on the Cumbrian Coast, whether it was Newton Heath or Heaton.

Sounds like everyone's having a really productive time, I still don't have a clue when I'm off out next. It may be tomorrow, it may be a couple of weeks, it may be another couple of months, depending when I'm able to have some time off!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Watched 221130 go past in the opposite direction again today :(

Fourth time now.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Watched 221130 go past in the opposite direction again today :(

Fourth time now.

I had 221130 on Saturday too! Sorry!

24th August
180110
180111
365507
365532
365539

Total(YTD):371
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Today.
Started with 60059 on the Retro. Dud 57316 was on Scarborough jolly, so flagged that and went to Keighley and Worth Valley for winner Black 5, 45305.

Also, not quite a red pen, but 34092 City of Wells returned to passenger traffic last weekend, so got 1st recorded moves in behind that.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Only one winner on this trip so far, and it could still be the only one of the 2 days!

25th August 2014

60059

I did try to get some more winners, but luck wasn't on my side! The trip report will detail everything when I can get it finished and typed up later this week :)
 

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
After checking my Northern fleet requirements for red penning I was shocked to find out I still needed 203 out of the 313 fleet strong for haulage! Seeing I live in the Manchester area I thought had better start eating into these numbers. So yesterday morning before meeting up with friends for lunch and afternoon of chatting I decided to have a bashing session in the Manchester area and copped the following units for a ride.

25th August
3070 (MET)
142007 (NO)
142028 (NO)
142038 (NO)
142052 (NO)
142063 (NO)
142093 (NO)
150133 (NO)
155343 (NO)
156423 (NO)
156459 (NO)
158759 (NO)

So, another 11 knocked off my Northern fleet......only another 192 to go!!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Don't forget it's a BIG operating area for Northern, so it will take a long while to get them all in! I noticed 142093 in your list, isn't that a Heaton machine?

Nothing new today for me sadly, although it was always likely to be the case since it was only the HUD-MAN leg of my commute to work that had a chance of a winner.

I am going to add up my Northern requirements later, you've got me well curious! I know it's a lot less than 192 like you though!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Well the last two weekends saw me do an East Mid Ranger, South Devon Railway Gala and The Taffy Tug. Picked up the following winners.

East Mid Ranger
43049
43059
222014
156497
156470
153385
156401
222021
222005
153381
158852
156403
158777
158780

South Devon
37275
5542

Taffy Tug
Both 60039 and 60040
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't forget it's a BIG operating area for Northern, so it will take a long while to get them all in! I noticed 142093 in your list, isn't that a Heaton machine?

Nothing new today for me sadly, although it was always likely to be the case since it was only the HUD-MAN leg of my commute to work that had a chance of a winner.

I am going to add up my Northern requirements later, you've got me well curious! I know it's a lot less than 192 like you though!

I became curious and have just checked. I need 91.
 

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
Don't forget it's a BIG operating area for Northern, so it will take a long while to get them all in! I noticed 142093 in your list, isn't that a Heaton machine?

It might have been a Heaton based 142 but it was working in tandem with 142088, which if I am not mistaken is also another Heaton based unit. Just didn't get a chance to jump on it though.

Looks like they are moving the 142's around.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I became curious and have just checked. I need 91.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. :(
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
It might have been a Heaton based 142 but it was working in tandem with 142088, which if I am not mistaken is also another Heaton based unit. Just didn't get a chance to jump on it though.

Looks like they are moving the 142's around.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I have a lot of work ahead of me. :(

I need all but 1 Northern cart.
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
A weekend away in Slovenia with brief visits to Austria and Croatia have netted me eight new:
1144.243 in Austria
1141.381 in Croatia
363.007
363.020
541.008
644.005
664.103
2016.085
in Slovenia though the latter is on loan from Austria.
Would have liked more new 664s but the 644 was a huge bonus.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I have a lot of work ahead of me. :(

As I have I, I need 118 Northern MUs all in. Still not as bad as SET mind, 188 MUs I need there and that's after the big clearout earlier this year!

A good few TOCs with a lot to go for me, counted it all up earlier on the way to work, shall post the figures later. Let's just say for now I need a BIG DMU bash in Scotland, 103 DMUs I need up there! Gonna be busy for years, what with all the new stuff coming in the next few years. Loco wise I've a LOT to get...
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
As I have I, I need 118 Northern MUs all in. Still not as bad as SET mind, 188 MUs I need there and that's after the big clearout earlier this year!

A good few TOCs with a lot to go for me, counted it all up earlier on the way to work, shall post the figures later. Let's just say for now I need a BIG DMU bash in Scotland, 103 DMUs I need up there! Gonna be busy for years, what with all the new stuff coming in the next few years. Loco wise I've a LOT to get...

Scotland is probably the most difficult place to clear your last DMU. For almost two years I needed one Scotrail DMU (158713) to clear the fleet, despite five visits to Scotland. Finally tracked it down earlier this year, when I had a trip on it round the Fife Circle.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I can imagine it was hard work, it took me a long time to find my last 170 for sight, just happened to get it on a Fife Circle working which was great! The 158s will be a pain for me too, but we'll see how it goes when I eventually get a chance to get up north. Been planning a Central Scotland bash all year but can't get the time off so now planning it for 2015!
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
Scotland is probably the most difficult place to clear your last DMU. For almost two years I needed one Scotrail DMU (158713) to clear the fleet, despite five visits to Scotland. Finally tracked it down earlier this year, when I had a trip on it round the Fife Circle.

I don't know - one approach for 158s is to spend three days on a Central Scotland rover and then take a trip to Inverness hoping that nothing you need passes you on the way north.

Most of the other units work in and out of the Central Belt each day.

On the other hand, I needed to book a taxi ride from Garve to Dingwall to be in position for my last Scottish 158, the last four all coming north of Inverness on the same day.

It really depends where you live. I think Northern 156s would probably be quite difficult these days if you don't travel daily in the area. There always seem to be a few working in the wrong area - ie Heaton units in Manchester or Newton Heath units in the North East.

My recent haulage wins:

Manchester - 350372

Northern Ireland - 233, 3003/4/6/8/16/23, 4003-13/16-9

Unfortunately, left with 3001 still to get.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Now I'm on my commute home, I have time to post the data earlier mentioned!

Requirements by TOC, as of 27/08/2014:

ATW: 1
Chiltern: 17
FGW: 17
XC: Cleared
SWT: 164
SET: 188
SN: 128
C2C: 56
Northern: 118
GC: 4
GX: 13
HX: 12
LM: 23
GA: 173
FCC: 122
HT: Cleared
EMT: 31
SR: 166
VT: 10
LO: 28
Island Line: 2
TPX: 24
MR: 4

Just a bit of work to do across the UK then!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Now I'm on my commute home, I have time to post the data earlier mentioned!

Requirements by TOC, as of 27/08/2014:

ATW: 1
Chiltern: 17
FGW: 17
XC: Cleared
SWT: 164
SET: 188
SN: 128
C2C: 56
Northern: 118
GC: 4
GX: 13
HX: 12
LM: 23
GA: 173
FCC: 122
HT: Cleared
EMT: 31
SR: 166
VT: 10
LO: 28
Island Line: 2
TPX: 24
MR: 4

Just a bit of work to do across the UK then!

What of the Chilterns do you need?
 

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
Added the following:
159018
159101
159008
159105
159125
43130
43124
43016
43169
221141
143620
143619
159021
159102
395001 (Leaving me with all but 2 of the 395s to get as well as 9 375s to finish off the SE fleet)
 
Last edited:

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Couple of winner engines. 47245 yesterday on SSE, and L&Y/LMS Kettle 13233 at Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
What of the Chilterns do you need?

121020, 172101, 172104 and the rest are 165/0s of various sticky digits
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(Leaving me with all but 2 of the 395s to get as well as 9 375s to finish off the SE fleet)

Jeepers, that's impressive! As detailed in my post the other day, I'm a LONG way off clearing the Southeastern lot!
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
30th August
43043
43044
43073
153308
153319
153376
153383
222012

Total(YTD):379
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
121020, 172101, 172104 and the rest are 165/0s of various sticky digits

Thanks for saying. The main reason I have so much chiltern stuff is I won't travel on the 165s unless very necessary. The way I mean is that the only 165s I have traveled on are a pair of Chiltern ones from Leamington Spa to Warwick Parkway. Well done at getting all of the 67s on the route! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top