• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Pen 2014 - your new haulages

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Apart from the heat on the trains, it was great! The journey back from Devils Bridge was unbearable with no air in the enclosed carriages!

Eek, a very hot day as well. What I would have done is go to the vestibule, pull down the window and get breeze that way. Glad you had a good day otherwise! :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
30th July
165008
317719
317883
319365
321339
379014
442406
442424
465924

Total (30th July):9
Total(YTD):364

Now down to just 1 442, and 1 319 to clear the fleets. Hopefully I'll be able to clear both before they are withdrawn from their current duties, and in the case of the 442s, potentially withdrawn completely.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
My new units from today.

150252
150251
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I'd better catch up for this month!

7th July:

21419/20
21423/4
21425/6
21427/8

All S7 units, obviously.
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
My red pen action for July consists entirely of sheds and Metrolink M5000s.

Sat 19 July (Bristol Docker Railtour) 66056, 66117

Sun 20 July (Wensleydale Railway) 66721

Sun 27 July (London Crosslink Railtour) 66719

Wed 30 July (Manchester Metrolink) 3058, 3062, 3065, 3068, 3069, 3070, 3071, 3072, 3073, 3076, 3077, 3078, 3079, 3080, 3081, 3082, 3083
(Now had all the M5000s up to 3083 except 3067, 3074, 3075)
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
How long has that taken you?

That is difficult to say. I have been recording train journeys since 28 July 1990. The longest ago unit to count is 315840 on 2 October 1992 which I haven't ridden since but proper "red pen" travelling came much later. I previously cleared the fleet on 13 November 2010 when I rode 158831 until the introduction of 380s and then when I rode 172222 on 26 March 2012. This time, I have included all renumberings so I should have every unit on current numbering until 458502 enters service.

The job of haulage bashing is never done.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Some new stuff for me on a trip in Chester and surrounding areas.

150284
175007 (I was pleasantly surprised at my first ride on one)
158825
507028
507007
507005
508134
508108
150242
508140
175113
156425 (I was the only passenger)
175112
175106
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
From a morning trip to Hawerden this morning from Penyffordd.

150260
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Today 02/08/14:

S7

21405/6

That means I have all of those that have currently been delivered. Got the chance for a word with the relevant manager from 55 Broadway today and I get the impression that the current hiatus in S7 deliveries may be a bit longer than people are expecting...
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
So another month passes and activity on the haulage front is still pretty good with some decent results. Main thing of note is that within the space of a week, I managed to clear two EMU classes. Last month I was predicting that I would soon be passing 1,000 different items for the year; little did I realise that by the end of July I would be logging the 1,100th item! Something not recorded formally below, but noteworthy all the same, is that 2014 is likely to be the last year that I will travel on every 319 in a single year with the impending migration away from their traditional operating area. I suitably logged 319010 in the closing days of July as my final 319 for the year. Indeed with 319361 having already gone north, it seems like only yesterday when it was a winner (as 319161) although in reality that date was 25th April 1991! Anyway, enough rambling from me, here’s the notable entries from the July haulage log:-

2-Jul-14
377703 New
377704 New
377706 New

3-Jul-14
Having a free evening in London having been blown out for drinks, I set about recovering the situation and ended up with five outright winners instead of downing a few beers. Which was better?
Tramlink 2557 New
171721 New, cleared for 10 miles
171724 New, cleared for 10 miles
377509 Cleared for 10 miles
377514 Cleared for 10 miles
377521 Cleared for 10 miles
377702 New, cleared for 10 miles
377705 New
442409 Cleared for 10 miles
442424 Cleared for 10 miles

4-Jul-14
377701 New
465908 First time as 465/9

6-Jul-14
One of the usual Sunday afternoon jaunts to try to drive down the South West Trains requirements list saw me picking up my last 444 which made a change from just recording more 450s as cleared for the magic 10 miles. Now where are my last two 450s hiding?
8015 Cleared for 10 miles
159107 Cleared for 10 miles
444015 New, cleared for 10 miles. Last of Class
444031 Cleared for 10 miles
450002 Cleared for 10 miles
450088 Cleared for 10 miles
450092 Cleared for 10 miles
450560 1st time as 450/5

7-Jul-14
S-7 21428 New

8-Jul-14
S-7 21373 Cleared for 10 miles
376015 Cleared for 10 miles
465047 Cleared for 10 miles

12-Jul-14
With the other half out with the girls for the day, I seized the opportunity to have a Saturday out in London visiting parts that I normally do not frequent on a regular basis. The objective was to take on the 317s and grab whatever I could. The Railway Gods had other ideas as with ½ hour of my entering 317 territory, I found myself at Stratford and staring at 321331 which was my penultimate “dusty bin”. A quick excursion down the GEML was the order of the day. Returning to 317-land, I made further attempts to stay within boundaries but again I found myself at Stratford and was quickly distracted. No, not by the hordes of Essex girls going shopping at Westfield but again by a Class 321. This time 321345 was the offender and a quick spin to Liverpool Street saw the 321s finally cleared almost 25 years to the day since I logged my first one (321305 on 15 July 1989)
317502 Cleared for 10 miles
317511 Cleared for 10 miles
317656 Cleared for 10 miles
317665 Cleared for 10 miles
317670 Cleared for 10 miles
321316 Cleared for 10 miles
321321 Cleared for 10 miles
321331 New, cleared for 10 miles
321345 New, Class Cleared
360101 New
360112 Cleared for 10 miles
360120 New

14-Jul-14
The need to head to Scotland for business and extending the trip with some leave saw me heading out of London on the 07:30 from Euston. I knew things were going to go well as at Euston, the voodoo spell had been broken (regular readers will recall my recent lack of success in the Pendolino Winning Stakes) with a winning 390044 being my conveyance northwards. Having concluded the day’s business swiftly, I set about tracking down a few winners with the Fife Circle proving quite a fertile hunting ground with the only distraction being a swift trip out to Livingston North to rake in some winning 334s. 15 winners was not a bad tally for about six hour’s effort – not forgetting the scoring two new shacks in the process!
158704 New, cleared for 10 miles
158714 New, cleared for 10 miles
158726 New, cleared for 10 miles
158732 New, cleared for 10 miles
158736 New, cleared for 10 miles
158738 New, cleared for 10 miles
170395 New, cleared for 10 miles
170417 Cleared for 10 miles
170422 New, cleared for 10 miles
170427 New, cleared for 10 miles
170430 Cleared for 10 miles
170458 New, cleared for 10 miles
170472 New, cleared for 10 miles
334004 Cleared for 10 miles
334019 New, cleared for 10 miles
334023 New, cleared for 10 miles
334033 New, cleared for 10 miles
390044 New, cleared for 100 miles

15-Jul-14
Day two in Scotland and back to back meetings throughout the day saw me hit the rails just as Edinburgh rush hour kicked off. A few (several actually) trips over the Forth Bridge gave me another decent haul of winners.
158706 New, cleared for 10 miles
158720 New, cleared for 10 miles
158729 New, cleared for 10 miles
158731 New, cleared for 10 miles
158786 Cleared for 10 miles
170394 New, cleared for 10 miles
170396 New
170409 New, cleared for 10 miles
170432 New, cleared for 10 miles
170454 New
334035 Cleared for 1 mile

16-Jul-14
Day three of the Scottish escapade with the only requirement that I get back to London at some point. Spending the morning peak at Haymarket photographing Scotrail units allowed me to see what haulage hits were about before the 09:15 curfew was lifted on my Central Scotland Rover. Swiftly mopping up all required diesel units that were working around Edinburgh by lunchtime, I progressed over to Glasgow with the aim of heading south in stages (breaking at Carlisle and Preston figured in my plans) sometime in the late afternoon. I spent around 2 hours on the Glasgow suburban network before arriving back at Central, only to be confronted by a second winning Pendolino for the trip so at 16:00, I began the long trip back south. I even managed six new shacks as well.
158727 New
158728 New
158730 New, cleared for 10 miles
158733 New, cleared for 10 miles
158734 New, cleared for 10 miles
170396 Cleared for 10 miles
170414 New
170477 New, cleared for 10 miles
320307 Cleared for 10 miles
320309 Cleared for 10 miles
320314 Cleared for 10 miles
320322 Cleared for 10 miles
334018 New
334030 New
334040 New
350404 New, cleared for 10 miles
390103 Cleared for 100 miles
390114 New, cleared for 100 miles

17-Jul-14
S-7 21423 New
S-7 21424 New

18-Jul-14
With a few hours to kill in London before heading out of town for a wedding, I decided to see if London Overground could give me anything decent on the haulage front. The pan was to get some more 378s over the magic 10 miles; I was certainly not expecting to fall into one of two of my last 378s and I even managed a new shack in the process.
1996ts 96007 Cleared for 10 miles
350244 Cleared for 100 miles
378233 Cleared for 10 miles
378256 New
378257 Cleared for 10 miles

20-Jul-14
350265 Cleared for 100 miles

22-Jul-14
319452 Cleared for 2,000 miles
377704 Cleared for 10 miles
377707 New

23-Jul-14
319460 Cleared for 2,000 miles

24-Jul-14
377112 Cleared for 10 miles
377148 Cleared for 10 miles

25-Jul-14
465926 First time as 465/9

28-Jul-14
S-7 21417 New

30-Jul-14
319459 Cleared for 2,000 miles

31-Jul-14
S-7 21399 New

Yes, July was a good month with 51 winners from the national network (beating the 47 from June). However, the surprise was clearing three more 319s for 2,000 miles to add to the five that have already passed this notable milestone. How many more will go over that total before the mass migration away from Thameslink routes?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A few more from Saturday the 2nd of August 2014.

175109
508136
507029
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
My turn to admit to an empty book over the weekend :oops:
26038
31206
73140
Spa Valley on Friday (and a very pleasant gala it was too)

6619
(300)65
32670
all steam on the Kent & East Sussex on Saturday & Sunday

1
8
9
steam
14
diesel
Romney Hythe & Dymchurch on Saturday & Sunday

Biggest score that I have racked up in the UK over two or three days for a few years.
 

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
Last Friday at the Spa Valley yielded
33202
26038
31206 (before it failed)

A visit to London today gave me:
319427
319448
319434
319372
319373
378203
375303
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
From a trip to the Black Country Museum today (Leamington Spa-Birmingham Moor Street-Smethwick Galton Bridge-Tipton)

172215
172218
350241
323208
168112
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
After yesterdays Gipping Lark Freighter tour

165003, 165101 and 180106 to get from Paddington to Reading for the tour!

66085 and 66086 on the tour

Then 165124 and 180108 back to Paddington for the beds back home. Good day and wasn't expecting to pick up that many units as well!
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
8th August
377707
377708

Total(YTD):366

That's now the whole of the 377 class complete. Hopefully there won't be any more built now!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
8th August
377707
377708

Total(YTD):366

That's now the whole of the 377 class complete. Hopefully there won't be any more built now!

Congratulations, I'll know that joy when the last of the 123 I need get found (I know I said a while I needed 132 but I'd clearly miscounted a fair bit and it should have been 124 at the time)!

Looks like everyone's been busy scoring away in the 2 weeks since I was last on the forum, it's just been so busy with work lately, and will be this week coming, I'm down for 47 hours over 6 days. Add in the long commute each way too and each work day becomes quite long! Did 33.5 this week as it was, thanks to being allowed to finish 30 minutes early last night (cheers boss! :D) and that was challenging enough. Still, the rewards will be reaped soon enough...

Anyway, enough of me moaning! Following my most recent trip, Techniquest and Red Pen Strike Back (and yes, the trip report is almost ready!), I've got a lot of successes to report and they are as follows:

31st July 2014-4th August 2014

LU:

21355/21356 (District)
21419/21420 (H+C)
3264 (Bakerloo)
3541 (Bakerloo)

Mainline:

319005
319009
319219
319368
319377
319429
319436
319446
319447
319448

375302
375306
375307
375309
375310

375603
375604
375608
375610
375612
375616
375621
375623
375626
375629

375701
375710
375711
375713
375714
375715

375805
375806
375808
375809
375813
375815
375820
375823
375825
375829

375903
375909
375922
375927

376007
376010
376017

377523 (wasn't expecting it and 377520 on a Longfield to Rochester leap!)

395001
395005
395006
395014
395020
395028
395029

465003
465008
465012
465034
465035
465037
465040
465048

465154
465157
465168
465177
465183
465185
465187
465188
465189
465191

465238

465902
465913
465921

466027
466029
466032
466035
466038
466041

Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway:

No 1
No 8
No 9
No 10
No 14

Sorry it's a long post, would have been slightly shorter but I put in dividers to make for an easier read. You can see that I needed a LOT of stuff on SET! Still need a fair bit but my book is far emptier than it was, however future trips will be more shuttles to and from Charing Cross in the morning and evening peaks I reckon, once I've got all the stations in Kent done when I'm next down that way!
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
A couple more from the last two days:
Bure Valley Railway no. 3 and no. 9, was aiming for more but the hoped-for winners on the NNR didn't appear :(

Keeping fingers crossed that my next newbies should be a lot bigger and louder :D

 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A few more from me.

14/8/14

172221
158826
350127

15/8/14

170106 (just to get me to Derby for a winner HST power car)
43304 :D
350112.
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
28/07/2014:
43031 43034 43181
142083
143606 143608 143616
150229 150240 150278
153320 153353
166208 166211
175005 175102
390008

29/07/2014:
43009 43036 43063 43092-43093 43098 43133 43187
57605
90028
150101 150104 150106 150244 150247 150265
153325

30/07/2014:
67016
158711 158722

31/07/2014:
142056
156434
158735 158740
334014 334034
350373 350401
390136 390157

01/08/2014:
67017
90029 90039
156494 156511
158716 158741
170420 170432 170477
318270
320304 320309 320312 320314
334021 334033 334038

02/08/2014:
57604
150120 150122 150124 150131 150239

03/08/2014:
43069 43128
143603 143618 143620
153318 153380
159003 159014
175007
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
Sounds like you've had a most productive time lately 37038!

Much success from my ALR! I'm writing up my trip report still and will post within the week :D

Managed a cheeky winner yesterday on the way back from work. Only 1 Heaton unit left now:

17/08/2014:
142017
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top