Hi, since the contactless area was expanded further north, I have found this to be the best commuting option for me.
0740 Welwyn Garden City to Cambridge, alight Welwyn North 0742
0744 Welwyn North to London Kings Cross, arrives 0803
(Compares very well to 0738 Welwyn Garden City to London Kings Cross, arrives 0810.)
However clearly there is a risk that the northbound train is delayed (particularly if it is held to let another northbound train over the Digswell viaduct) so I've been checking Real Time Trains, if I can see a train which is likely to cause a problem then I just go southbound on the 0738 to London Kings Cross or the 0740 to Moorgate.
This has been working pretty well until yesterday when the 0724 Kings Cross to Kings Lynn service was only slightly late (about 45 seconds I think) passing Hatfield, which should be ok, but this became +5 minutes late passing Welwyn Garden City. (Although curiously if I check Real Time Trains now it says +12 minutes which I'm pretty sure was not what happened? Or maybe the +5 was anticipated but it turned into +12 and the 0740 was allowed to go over the viaduct when that became apparent.) Anyway we were delayed a few minutes although fortunately I still made the connection.
So I was wondering if anyone could help me with
- why would that train have been so severely delayed on the fast line between Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City?
- is there any way of investigating further to check nothing will delay the 0740 Welwyn Garden City to Welwyn North? As I could see the Kings Lynn train had performed adequately as far as Hatfield then it seemed safe enough to try that connection, although I was lucky to get away with it
Many thanks
0740 Welwyn Garden City to Cambridge, alight Welwyn North 0742
0744 Welwyn North to London Kings Cross, arrives 0803
(Compares very well to 0738 Welwyn Garden City to London Kings Cross, arrives 0810.)
However clearly there is a risk that the northbound train is delayed (particularly if it is held to let another northbound train over the Digswell viaduct) so I've been checking Real Time Trains, if I can see a train which is likely to cause a problem then I just go southbound on the 0738 to London Kings Cross or the 0740 to Moorgate.
This has been working pretty well until yesterday when the 0724 Kings Cross to Kings Lynn service was only slightly late (about 45 seconds I think) passing Hatfield, which should be ok, but this became +5 minutes late passing Welwyn Garden City. (Although curiously if I check Real Time Trains now it says +12 minutes which I'm pretty sure was not what happened? Or maybe the +5 was anticipated but it turned into +12 and the 0740 was allowed to go over the viaduct when that became apparent.) Anyway we were delayed a few minutes although fortunately I still made the connection.
So I was wondering if anyone could help me with
- why would that train have been so severely delayed on the fast line between Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City?
- is there any way of investigating further to check nothing will delay the 0740 Welwyn Garden City to Welwyn North? As I could see the Kings Lynn train had performed adequately as far as Hatfield then it seemed safe enough to try that connection, although I was lucky to get away with it
Many thanks
Last edited:
