• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rather Geographically Inaccurate GWR Route Map

Trainspotter37

New Member
Joined
2 Mar 2023
Messages
4
Location
Hereford
Whilst travelling onboard a GWR Networker Turbo, I could not help but notice the geographical inaccuracy of the route map. I am aware that they are not necessarily designed for geographical accuracy but for ease of use, but as such it has made the shape of the UK rather distorted in the process!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,485
These maps are often supposed to be schematic rather than geographically accurate. The Tube map being a prime example.
 

izvor

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
596
Location
on the SER
For a route diagram it's actually quite geographically accurate. What I do find bizarre is the description of London - Reading - Swindon (and others) as "infrequent". I realise this is some sort of regional or unit-specific publication (clue in the print code bottom right) but ... really? High up in the confuse-a-stranger league table.
 

JohnRegular

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2016
Messages
315
For a route diagram it's actually quite geographically accurate. What I do find bizarre is the description of London - Reading - Swindon (and others) as "infrequent". I realise this is some sort of regional or unit-specific publication (clue in the print code bottom right) but ... really? High up in the confuse-a-stranger league table.
Yes, I understand that means 'infrequently served by Turbos' but the type of unit is going to be pretty far down on the list the average passenger is thinking about.
 

pelli

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2016
Messages
357
Six months ago there was a discussion of a version of this diagram which had slightly fewer lines filled in and a different caption - "Regular Turbo served route" instead of "GWR regional or local route", "Occasional Turbo served route (6 or less trains/day)" instead of "Route/station served infrequently, or during engineering work only", etc. Here are the first two posts in the thread:
I hesitate to post such a trivial topic but I found this map truly bizarre. Why would anyone need a map of routes served by Turbo trains? I doubt many passengers would recognise them and it’s not like you’d plan your route to enable you to take what is a pretty hum drum train. To the average passenger the map is pretty misleading and could be taken to imply there’s a limited service between, say, Exeter and Plymouth.
Possibly it's a map that is only displayed on board the Turbo fleet, so the service that the train is operating will always be on a section highlighted on the map. It would also emphasise that a passenger would need to change if heading beyond the thick line section. I agree that it's a fairly unusual presentation though.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,327
Location
Bolton
These maps are often supposed to be schematic rather than geographically accurate. The Tube map being a prime example.
The tube map displays all TfL-sponsored services, and some others. It's certainly not a complete document by any means, but it's rather more complete than this one is.

The only reason I can think for wanting this information to be easily displayed in this format is, for example, if you need to know if your train will be a Turbo so you can fit your mobility scooter or whatever onboard, and it has been taken out of context by mistake.

That's just an example, I have absolutely no idea what GWR's actual policy on carrying mobility scooters is, and I can't be bothered to look it up at present.
 

Top