• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rather Geographically Inaccurate GWR Route Map

Trainspotter37

New Member
Joined
2 Mar 2023
Messages
4
Location
Hereford
When travelling on board a GWR Class 166, I could not help but notice the geographical inaccuracy of this route map. The area surrounding Bristol appears to have been enlarged which has caused the shape of the UK to become distorted.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261003_090455212.MP.jpg
    PXL_20261003_090455212.MP.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,485
These maps are often supposed to be schematic rather than geographically accurate. The Tube map being a prime example.
 

izvor

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
596
Location
on the SER
For a route diagram it's actually quite geographically accurate. What I do find bizarre is the description of London - Reading - Swindon (and others) as "infrequent". I realise this is some sort of regional or unit-specific publication (clue in the print code bottom right) but ... really? High up in the confuse-a-stranger league table.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
Was never going to be perfectly to scale but it does its job and makes it easy to see how to get around the network.
 

JohnRegular

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2016
Messages
315
For a route diagram it's actually quite geographically accurate. What I do find bizarre is the description of London - Reading - Swindon (and others) as "infrequent". I realise this is some sort of regional or unit-specific publication (clue in the print code bottom right) but ... really? High up in the confuse-a-stranger league table.
Yes, I understand that means 'infrequently served by Turbos' but the type of unit is going to be pretty far down on the list the average passenger is thinking about.
 

Top