The taxpayer and the fare-payers; the people the rail service is supposedly run for the benefit of.
Obviously, I appreciate it is an emotive subject for you and I’ve no wish to unnecessarily aggravate you (further) so I will reply only very simply: I find those arguments pretty weak and the constant lashing out at other sections of society doesn’t aid your argument.
Of course you do. God forbid railway staff get a payrise, ever. Nice to know you actively want myself and my colleagues to be poorer during a cost of living crisis
I find it extraordinary (but sadly not remotely surprising) that railway staff are clearly seen as less deserving of a rise than benefits claimants on this forum. If you think I’m “lashing out” at other sections of society that is nothing compared to the hearing staff get on here, to the point where I know several who simply no longer contribute.
Ironically this is often by people who will likely either be in receipt of state handouts themselves or the beneficiaries of significant furlough payments.
You might feel differently come March when we’ve had the really cold months. Winter hasn’t really got going yet has it?
I’m hundreds in credit, too. It’s a pretty clumsy use of public money.
10% of very little, is still very little however.
I’m not sure it’s “very little” when you look at how much it costs the government.
The chancellor will confirm how much benefits will go up in the Autumn Statement.
www.bbc.co.uk
The UK spends 3.9% of gross domestic product (GDP) - the total value of goods and services produced in the country - on working-age benefits, according to the
latest data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
Outright fraud in the benefit system is about 2%.
As above. Still pretty significant given that working age benefits are equal to 4% of our GDP. I seem to recall fraud on Covid related support payments also ran to several billion, which the government has chosen to simply write off.
Divide and conquer is a brilliant tactic. "There's no money for wage rises due to benefits claimants/asylum seekers",
Agree with divide and conquer, more often used to good effect against railway staff and unions. Hence Truss’ scapegoating of striking railway workers in her final PMQs given the extraordinary damage she and her sidekick had just done.
whose wife dodges tax in the UK. And said by a government who found £200m to give to Michelle Mone.
To be fair most of her assets and income are overseas and, as a uk resident, she pays the annual non dom payment, which means she contributes more than the overwhelming majority of uk tax payers. If she wasn’t able to do that she likely simply wouldn’t live here and therefore wouldn’t contribute anything.
I find a lot of the vilification of Sunak for being wealthy distasteful, it has no bearing on his ability to do his job. It’s not as if KC and former head of the CPS Keir Starmer is exactly Joe Average, either!
Some rail staff earn more than 10x what somebody on benefits does. It’s hardly comparing like for like.
Benefits aren’t “earned”. This is also patently nonsense when people on £50k plus can still receive child benefit. Most frontline railway staff earn significantly below this.
I imagine the government will close down the passenger railway before it commits to a payrise for its staff.
This is wishful thinking from another poster who clearly loathes staff. Fairly safe to say that isn’t remotely likely when it was kept open throughout the pandemic and we’re now carrying huge numbers of passengers again.