What is your evidence that this dispute has cost the economy “hundreds of millions of pounds”?
Answered many times over. Google is your friend.
Railworkers and unions also have the power to do that, but ideology seems to be trumping common sense all round currently.
Not really. Unless you think accepting no pay rise for years on end and a massive reduction in Ts and Cs should be considered acceptable. It isn’t about ideology, it’s about basic fairness.
I worked throughout the pandemic. I haven’t had a pay rise for three years. Why shouldn’t I expect at least the kind of pay rise that’s being extended to the wider “public sector”, and indeed has been offered to people doing the same job in Scotland and Wales. I notice a large rise has also been offered to pensioners and benefits claimants!
Its disgraceful that the people who have kept the pensioners going are being offered so little. Utter election bribing and Labour should call it out and say they will reverse it and use the money for NHS staff. They won't of course.
Absolutely. And most people I speak to (not just railway staff!) agree. There’s a long standing attitude from certain posters on here of hating unions and wanting to see “overpaid” railway staff made worse off, which I think just stems from bitterness.
Those of us who believe that markets give the best results for customers look on and say 'I told you so'.
If you think markets always give the best results for customers, especially in “public service” markets like the railway, you are either hung up on dogma or you must live on a different planet. I say that as someone who is a small government Tory at heart!