It is dire and I can see no way back. It pains me to the core to even think it, but I think the railways are about to contract inwards in a horrible way, with a mini-Beeching era imminent (probably by stealth). Costs are out of control, there is absolutely no leadership and the government has abandoned the system to its own devices (and is watching while it crumbles). It pretty much did so right back at the time of the abhorent privatisation, which was, after all, its point. The 'green recovery' from C19 was yet another of Johnson's catalogue of lies, and society is descending even further into red, rather than green, behaviour. People are becoming permanently disenchanted with the railways for a number of reasons and will quite readily sit in cars, even in jams, rather than risk the spiralling unreliability of public transport. I have been a life-long fervent supporter of rail as both a concept and a reality (and as a career), and I will always be so, but there is rapidly going to be far less to cling onto.