• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Keys Often For Sale On Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
When I worked as agency staff we signed out the key after each shift , many trainspotters have keys aswell, ideal for access into the old mk1 buffet cars ect.
And usually its ex staff wo sel their keys aswell as bardic lamps.

I'm puzzled why trainspotters would want or need a key (21?) to get them into a Mk1 Buffet.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rick9525

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2009
Messages
110
I was once given one. I forget where but it was either by a guard or driver back in the mid 90's. Never did anything with it and I may still have it somewhere.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
On Underground trains cabs and other secure cabinets (such as shunting controls) are fitted with an intruder alarm which sounds in the driving cab..

What about the middle M door on 72 stock (or 73 for that matter) ?
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
It went for £40 in the end. Have to wonder what people are doing with these that it's worth that investment.

it's more the idiots that don;t know how or where to get things legitimately

a few years ago second hand 'green top' hi vis ( as worn by ambulance people) were going for more than the price of new one because the wannabes didn;t know about the several makers and resellers who will happily deal with small orders ...
 
Last edited:

AndyW33

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2013
Messages
541
I agree, they are widely sold as "budget locks" and used on things like trucks, vans, boats, caravans and camping trailers to keep lockers and access flaps closed when not in use. As I've mentioned in a previous post, they also been used for over 80 years to keep the access panels of buses and coaches closed.
It appears that only the railways have ever used them to keep people out, all the other uses are to stop doors and panels coming open by accident.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
I agree, they are widely sold as "budget locks" and used on things like trucks, vans, boats, caravans and camping trailers to keep lockers and access flaps closed when not in use. As I've mentioned in a previous post, they also been used for over 80 years to keep the access panels of buses and coaches closed.
It appears that only the railways have ever used them to keep people out, all the other uses are to stop doors and panels coming open by accident.

Which could prove to be very embarrassing should a miscreant manage to cause an incident (or worse) using nothing more than a T-key (in terms of tools).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top