Do indulge me in a bit of a ramble as I've posted elsewhere. I'm not having a great week with getting my head around things.
Meanwhile we are told on our TOC in the Eastern side of the Midlands that leisure is running at between 110%-120% of pre COVID with overall traffic levels in the high 80% (yes, that means they've taken a hit on commuting) with fewer trains running on a lot of routes, and one of the main concerns being having enough trains in traffic to cater for demand - something that isn't achieved most days. We already plan to have more carriages overall than the pre COVID plans for the franchise.
BR had already axed most of the station staff to optimise on on board staffing and most trains are guard self dispatch away from the major hub stations that have busier platform working.
Guards on each train are a sunk cost but most routes being hourly you need far fewer of them than on a metro service and certainly it's rare for me to take less than about £300-£400 in revenue, rising up to £700 on "good" days, and that is in the modern era of TVMs and e-tickets.
If we had more reliable trains and more of them I would say that we provide a well liked and fairly efficient train service that struggles to cope with demand, if anything.
I get the feeling from all sides that we still have a pretty bright future and it is frustrating that the Government has decided to take this opportunity to thoroughly upset the apple cart.
"Staff in the East Midlands franchise do a very good job. We want this quality to be preserved and developed. We want to ensure that people working on the franchise have the information, training and tools they need to communicate effectively with passengers, and to create an environment they are proud of and enthusiastic to work in. We expect a commitment from the new operator to develop its workforce, including employing apprentices."
Department for Transport in it's franchise consultation.
The DfT has already achieved Sundays in the working week for both drivers and guards, with the exception of a few legacy staff on old contracts. The latest iteration of that was signed off with DfT consent just this year. So Shapps' rumbling about Sundays doesn't apply to us. Fire and rehire can only mean trying to cut our pay and as someone earning £31k per year in this era of spiralling inflation (my home energy costs are going up by 10% of my take home pay in August) this does not feel fair.
I feel very much in a rock or a hard place position and the impact on my customers - bearing in mind we are local trains for local people and I've been seeing them for years - is causing me no shortage of genuine distress and I'm struggling to make sense of everything. Factory and warehouse workers in the former Notts coalfield can't work from home and can't afford 10-15 mile taxi rides.
It is horrible and I spent much of my shifts on Monday and Tuesday talking to passengers about what was occurring and helping them look at alternative options. I cannot take the viewpoint mentioned by other colleagues that's simply "they'll be back, they always are".
I've spent my whole career having various other jobs suggested to me but I've remained a guard because I generally for the most part like people and want to do my best by them. "F**k 'em" is not an attitude that is compatible with my personality.