• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,228
Location
WCML N
I can picture it but can't for the life of me remember the name. Is it the one with a massive rubber gangway? It's something like MP3 but not MP3...

:lol::oops:
Yes, I can see you know the exact units from their nicknames......they are very distinctive!

Class AM96?
That's the ones! I had the pleasure of a trip in one from Lille {or is that Rijsdel??) to Bruxelles last week!
For those unfamiliar, this pic shows why they have the nicknames they do.......Danish Nose is a reference to similar danish units, but Rubber Nose is also used, along with "toilet seat" for reasons that are fairly self-evident!

1791216770218.png

Time for you to hang a bog seat round your neck and give us the next question!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,228
Location
WCML N
I know this, as I was swatting up on Belgian trains before my trip the other week, but I'll give others a chance first.....
 

RDP

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2023
Messages
97
Location
Kent
Cheers.

Trivia. The TOPS code for Ramsgate was originally RM then changed to RE then back to RM.

An easy one.

Which heritage railway celebrates its centenary in 2027?
 

Kentish RYS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2026
Messages
105
Location
Kent
Thank you,

Related to the above, what was the first passenger working in preservation on the Middleton Railway formed of. I'm not after exact types like LNER A1 with LNER teak coaches just in general what it was like steam locomotive with bogie coaches.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
I think @D6130 is correct with the Sentinel, but I think it might have been hauling an old double deck tram of some sort?

Edit - actually, scrub the Sentinel. I think it might’ve been an 0-6-0 saddle tank called Hardwalton or Sharlwalton or something similar?
 

Kentish RYS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2026
Messages
105
Location
Kent
I think @D6130 is correct with the Sentinel, but I think it might have been hauling an old double deck tram of some sort?

Edit - actually, scrub the Sentinel. I think it might’ve been an 0-6-0 saddle tank called Hardwalton or Sharlwalton or something similar?
So you are half right, the 'coaching stock' was an ex Swansea amd Mumbles Double Deck Electric Tram, the loco however not quite. I'll give you a very vauge clue, the Middleton Railway still left the Bluebell Railway eoth one first in preservation.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
So you are half right, the 'coaching stock' was an ex Swansea amd Mumbles Double Deck Electric Tram, the loco however not quite. I'll give you a very vauge clue, the Middleton Railway still left the Bluebell Railway eoth one first in preservation.

Well the Bluebell was famed for being entirely steam worked until fairly recently, so I guess some kind of diesel shunter towed the tram?
 

Kentish RYS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2026
Messages
105
Location
Kent
Well the Bluebell was famed for being entirely steam worked until fairly recently, so I guess some kind of diesel shunter towed the tram?
And there you have the other part of the answer! From a quick search online it was a Hunslet on loan from Hunslet themselves.

To combine the info from my question and the one before this is the Preservation Firsts involved:
The Talyllyn was the first Preserved Railway
The Middleton Railway was the first Standard Gauge Preserved Railway
And
The Bluebell Railway was the first Standard Gauge preserved Steam Railway

@Cowley your floor...
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
And there you have the other part of the answer! From a quick search online it was a Hunslet on loan from Hunslet themselves.

To combine the info from my question and the one before this is the Preservation Firsts involved:
The Talyllyn was the first Preserved Railway
The Middleton Railway was the first Standard Gauge Preserved Railway
And
The Bluebell Railway was the first Standard Gauge preserved Steam Railway

@Cowley your floor...

Thanks @Kentish RYS :)

What two diesel locomotives arrived together after being purchased directly from BR, at Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway in 1985?
 

Top