• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

southern442

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
2,266
Location
Surrey
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adrian Barr

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2020
Messages
797
Location
Doncaster
The O020 Dollands - Ripple Lane and 0L22 return are for driver training / route retention purposes as far as I know, I think they are booked to run weekly but aren't always needed (they ran on the 16th May but not on the 23rd).
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,164
Location
North London or Mildmay line
The O020 Dollands - Ripple Lane and 0L22 return are for driver training / route retention purposes as far as I know, I think they are booked to run weekly but aren't always needed (they ran on the 16th May but not on the 23rd).
I wonder why these are necessary considering there doesn’t appear to be any freight on HS1?
 

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,526
Routing via HS1 would allow the route to run with fully electric traction if desired.
If it was desired/economical then I'd have thought the existing tunnel/daventry trains would be taking that route.
As I understood it, the main benefit of using HS1 for freight was that it allowed the use of continental guage wagons. The steep gradients meant they had to split the train into two sections, and I'm guessing track charges are higher on hs1 so it's hard to see how it would make sense for trains going north of London, which need to be uk loading guage.
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,164
Location
North London or Mildmay line
If it was desired/economical then I'd have thought the existing tunnel/daventry trains would be taking that route.
As I understood it, the main benefit of using HS1 for freight was that it allowed the use of continental guage wagons. The steep gradients meant they had to split the train into two sections, and I'm guessing track charges are higher on hs1 so it's hard to see how it would make sense for trains going north of London, which need to be uk loading guage.
I would suspect that it is easier to run an intermodal train (75mph) than a water train (60mph) over HS1, but that is simply a guess.
 

JKF

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2019
Messages
1,317
There’s a couple of paths on RTT for a Southampton-Portbury service which appeared in the May timetable, and appear to be for GBRF (as the traffic comes from ‘Southampton GBRF’).

I’m not aware of GBRF having ever run intermodals on this branch, those that ran about two years ago were Freightliner operated. I don’t think it’s a legacy path (noting that paths are still on there for the Colbbrook stone trains from 2021!). Is this possibly something that might appear? I guess driver training wouldn’t be needed as GBRF already have drivers doing the steel trains. The freightliner services (which operated from both Southampton and London Gateway, normally on weekends) mostly carried wine for a major distributed in Avonmouth.


https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H02598/2025-06-02/detailed

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H02598/2025-06-02/detailed
 

HST125Scorton

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2019
Messages
159
Location
Atherton
On Monday 14th April this train ran 7T66 0936 Crewe Gresty Green Up Loop to Crewe Signal CE543. 7T66 Link Unfortunately I've misplaced my notes and forgot which wagons they were and the consist? Normally FL do Class 7/8 Ad-Hoc moves between yards via the station. Any help is much appreciated.
 

ls2270

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2012
Messages
5,521
Location
Basingstoke
On Monday 14th April this train ran 7T66 0936 Crewe Gresty Green Up Loop to Crewe Signal CE543. 7T66 Link Unfortunately I've misplaced my notes and forgot which wagons they were and the consist? Normally FL do Class 7/8 Ad-Hoc moves between yards via the station. Any help is much appreciated.
7T66 was 66567 hauling 19310/79/32/62/15/11/45/57/94/76/13/07/59/89/88/12.
 

DBS92042

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2019
Messages
1,800
There's some STP paths (0Z70/1/2/3) in for tomorrow into Northampton Gateway. Presuming it runs and actually goes into the terminal, will this be the first train/loco in there? AFAIK all the track in the terminal was laid by road-rail machines although I don't know if any on-track plant/tampers have gone in there since?
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,617
Location
Northampton
There's some STP paths (0Z70/1/2/3) in for tomorrow into Northampton Gateway. Presuming it runs and actually goes into the terminal, will this be the first train/loco in there? AFAIK all the track in the terminal was laid by road-rail machines although I don't know if any on-track plant/tampers have gone in there since?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-freight-flows-and-news-uk.195217/page-65#post-7318609 0Z70 was cancelled today. I presume these were meant to be test paths?

Has the junction and signalling been commissioned yet? None of the Signalling data map sites have it in, there's nothing on the ORR Website, the latest Sectional Appendix has it marked as OOU/Under construction, and the latest PON available on the NR website doesn't say anything about Table A changes or bringing it into use?
1749191592495.png
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,164
Location
North London or Mildmay line
I noticed something interesting this morning. The 4L89 path from the North-West to Felixstowe, which was changed in the new timetable in May to permanently start at Trafford Park rather than Crewe, has been VAR’d for all of next week to start at Crewe again. Are we looking at a return of Freightliner’s Ditton to Felixstowe service?


 

DBS92042

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2019
Messages
1,800
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-freight-flows-and-news-uk.195217/page-65#post-7318609 0Z70 was cancelled today. I presume these were meant to be test paths?

Has the junction and signalling been commissioned yet? None of the Signalling data map sites have it in, there's nothing on the ORR Website, the latest Sectional Appendix has it marked as OOU/Under construction, and the latest PON available on the NR website doesn't say anything about Table A changes or bringing it into use?
View attachment 181448
Good question! I know signal 5298 is live for the up Northampton (as it was before all the work) and had its new feather and shunt signal uncovered in the last few months but besides from that I've not seen anything use either junction or seen the feather/shunt signal on and working
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,617
Location
Northampton
Good question! I know signal 5298 is live for the up Northampton (as it was before all the work) and had its new feather and shunt signal uncovered in the last few months but besides from that I've not seen anything use either junction or seen the feather/shunt signal on and working
Is 5298 the exit signal from the Yard or a shunt signal to set back in?
 

DBS92042

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2019
Messages
1,800
Is 5298 the exit signal from the Yard or a shunt signal to set back in?
5298 is a main signal on the Up Northampton. It used to be just a plain line section but is now at the north exit of the terminal (Collingtree Road Jnc). 5298 will presumably be used as the main signal for trains entering the terminal from the north. The shunt signal is just attached to the same post as 5298 and just offset to one side
 

geordieblue

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2020
Messages
789
Location
Leeds
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-freight-flows-and-news-uk.195217/page-65#post-7318609 0Z70 was cancelled today. I presume these were meant to be test paths?

Has the junction and signalling been commissioned yet? None of the Signalling data map sites have it in, there's nothing on the ORR Website, the latest Sectional Appendix has it marked as OOU/Under construction, and the latest PON available on the NR website doesn't say anything about Table A changes or bringing it into use?
View attachment 181448
This article from the site operator https://slp-northampton.com/news/ra...ilestone-at-segro-logistics-park-northampton/ suggests that main line signalling was commissioned in late April.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,617
Location
Northampton

DBS92042

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2019
Messages
1,800
Interesting. I don't have sight of network change notices, but I'm surprised the PON covering March-June doesn't have the Table A page shown as updated if it's been commissioned. I don't suppose anybody with NESA application access can check if it's shown as operational?
A VSTP 0Z72 Didcot Fuelling Point to Northampton Gateway is now on the move so we'll have to wait and see if it goes into the terminal or not!
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,617
Location
Northampton
A VSTP 0Z72 Didcot Fuelling Point to Northampton Gateway is now on the move so we'll have to wait and see if it goes into the terminal or not!
If that's been allowed to depart then sounds like it is! And just as I was about to suggest a new thread...
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
241
Location
Manchester
The Collingtree Road and Courteenhall junctions went operational on 12 April along with the associated signals and AWS speed warnings.
 

DBS92042

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2019
Messages
1,800
66117 over Courteenhall Junction and into Northampton Gateway! A few Network Rail staff on the ground for photos as it entered
 

Freightmaster

Verified Rep
Joined
7 Jul 2009
Messages
4,492
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-freight-flows-and-news-uk.195217/page-65#post-7318609 0Z70 was cancelled today. I presume these were meant to be test paths?

Has the junction and signalling been commissioned yet? None of the Signalling data map sites have it in...

I've just updated the FM maps - feels nice to be the first for once!! :smile:


0Z73.PNG




MARK
 

Top