Sorry Thursday please.Which day of the week?
If you say so. I ask because I had learned in an earlier discussion the the Riviera had cut out Bodmin Road, and you had to leave at Plymouth and catch a second train which stopped all the way while the Riv roared of to the West.Wouldn’t the sleeper have stopped at Bodmin Road? I presume that the sleepers ran every day, including Saturday night.
Any idea where the 00:30 would have overtaken the 22:30?Thursday night/Friday morning July 1966
22.30 Padd - Penz, slow via Bristol, Exeter 03.39, Ply 05.14, no Bodmin Rd, Penz 08.10
23.50 Padd - Penz, even slower (even Weston SM, Dawlish, Saltash!) via Bristol, Exeter 05.14, Ply 07.15, Bodmin Rd 08.26, Penz 10.05, sleepers to Ply
00.30 Padd - Penz, fast to Ply 04s42, Bodmin Rd 05s46, Penz 07.40, sleeping car passengers only
Friday night there was also 22.55 Padd - Penz, fast to Ply 03.15, no Bodmin Rd, Penz 05.50, sleeping cars for Scilly Isles passengers only
Based on my recollections from fifteen years later, I would guess that it was at Exeter, although Taunton is a possibility. The 00.30 would have gone down the Berks & Hants, as did the 00.30 Newspaper working in the early 1980s.Any idea where the 00:30 would have overtaken the 22:30?
The 22.30 got to Taunton at 02.55 so I would have thought the 00.30 would have gone past by then, although not long before.Any idea where the 00:30 would have overtaken the 22:30?
Yes, probably, even though sleepers were driven in a more relaxed manner, i.e. sharp braking and acceleration avoided if possible. (I misread the arrival time at Plymouth.)The 22.30 got to Taunton at 02.55 so I would have thought the 00.30 would have gone past by then, although not long before.
I think Exeter looks a bit tight for the 04.42 arrival at Plymouth, as you'd barely have an hour, and the 22.30 was only at Exeter for 7 minutes, which is an unnecessarily slim margin for a passing move at that time of night - and you would probably have had boxes switched out here and there so the headway might have been quite a bit.Based on my recollections from fifteen years later, I would guess that it was at Exeter, although Taunton is a possibility. The 00.30 would have gone down the Berks & Hants, as did the 00.30 Newspaper working in the early 1980s.
Based on my recollections from fifteen years later, I would guess that it was at Exeter, although Taunton is a possibility. The 00.30 would have gone down the Berks & Hants, as did the 00.30 Newspaper working in the early 1980s.
At Taunton the loop effectively ran as far as Norton Fitzwarren, so giving more margin for passing. Towards Exeter there were still boxes every five or six minutes running time apart, as I think that Wellington would still have had a night shift, as would Norton Fitzwarren; Victory was probably still open.I think Exeter looks a bit tight for the 04.42 arrival at Plymouth, as you'd barely have an hour, and the 22.30 was only at Exeter for 7 minutes, which is an unnecessarily slim margin for a passing move at that time of night - and you would probably have had boxes switched out here and there so the headway might have been quite a bit.
Edit: I see you've added an extra comment!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I've checked 15 years later, 1981, and by then there was only one sleeper and it only had 2 minutes at Exeter.
I rather think the 00.30 was a handful of sleepers attached to the Newspapers, which of course needed a very fast timing - except for Saturday mornings when it ran separately at 00.35. I agree that it would have been ahead from Taunton (and I would guess had enough slack in the timetable to divert via Bristol if necessary, in which case the 22.50 would have followed from there.Based on my recollections from fifteen years later, I would guess that it was at Exeter, although Taunton is a possibility. The 00.30 would have gone down the Berks & Hants, as did the 00.30 Newspaper working in the early 1980s.
otherwise there would have been sorters and papers flying around in the train behind.going right up to the limits of what is allowed
Not sure the gentle treatment thing was such a factor in the 60s, and a 4 hour timing to Plymouth was much the same as the Riviera in steam days, so not hanging around. You are right about regional papers, though - there was a flow of newspapers (Western Morning News?) from Plymouth to North Devon via Yeoford when the SR ran the routes.Slightly curious, to my mind, that you have two different traffics that are treated very differently in the same train. Newspapers that are to be got to their destination as fast as possible with drivers usually going right up to the limits of what is allowed, and sleeping car passengers, where drivers were expected to take things, especially acceleration and braking, as gently as possible to try and avoid disturbing the sleeper. Was it that getting the London papers to the wholesalers for early delivery was a lower priority then than it later became, possibly because regional papers still had a far greater relative importance?
Um, I guess you never came down the corkscrew from Dainton through Totnes in the days before speed recorders, getting a run at Rattery up the other side!other than Reading there aren’t any really sharp curves the whole way to Plymouth.
I should have stuck to my original intention to say ‘the whole way to Newton Abbot ‘, but I tried to be clever. The packers would just have known to be a bit wary over that bit.Um, I guess you never came down the corkscrew from Dainton through Totnes in the days before speed recorders, getting a run at Rattery up the other side!