• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query re cancellation "due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisp37

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
190
Location
London
How likely is it that the above would be given as a cancellation reason relatively last minute? Or is it generally known quite early on that a service won't run because the rolling stock is unavailable due to repairs?

The reason I'm asking is that, next Monday (30 June), we're planning to catch the 8.26 from Aberystwyth to get to Porthmadog at 10:51, changing at Dovey Junction (5 minute changeover). Looking at On Time Trains I can see that the 8.26 has on occasion been cancelled for the above reason, whereas the 7.28 from Aberystwyth has a much better reliability record. That may simply be coincidence and there is nothing to be read into to it.

If I could see in the morning that the 8.26 had already been cancelled I'd get the 7.28, which would mean a bit of a wait at Machynlleth, but better than getting to Porthmadog 2 hours late. But if I knew the 8.26 was running I'd much rather get that. So I guess my question is: How likely is it (if indeed it's possible to say) that the 8.26 would be cancelled for the above reason and that only made known after the 7.28 had already left?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railrambler

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2024
Messages
42
Location
appleby
Hi Chrisp37 - you’ve stolen my thunder !!!
I was at Hellified station on Sunday 15th waiting for the 1033 Leeds to Lancaster service and on the display it had the train as “delayed” (which in northern trains language means it won’t turn up!). But on signal box I could see it was only delayed by about 7 minutes and the Hellifield display read “delayed
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,468
Location
Somerset
In similar vein I nearly gave up at Llanrwst on Sunday when at 15.34 the 15.31 Llandudno train was still showing as Oedi / Delayed with the ominous message "This train has not yet left Blaenau Ffestiniog". Only the fact that the other passengers seemed unperturbed meant that I was still there when it turned up - only 6 minutes late (and with the screen still insisting it hadn't left Blaenau). RTT was also no help (presumably the same info feed) - showing no report at all.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,690
The core Aber to Birmingham trains are less susceptible to cancellation than the shorter infill services, but even with those it is not uncommon for the Mach - Aber portion to get bustituted. The absence of any notification of cancellation on Journeycheck means little as problems on the Cambrian rarely get posted on there. Better to look at the National Rail online departure boards.

You could always use the T2 through Trawscymru bus from Aber straight through to Porthmadog. I regularly use this service between Porthmadog and Mach, as it is significantly quicker than the train, and very reliable.
 

mickey

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
734
The 0826 is slightly more susceptible than most on that line to last-minute disruption as it comes in on a short working from Welshpool. However, it also starts its day on the 0554 from Machynlleth, so it’s pretty easy to figure out (with RTT) whether it‘s in service or not, likely earlier than it will show on display boards.
 

railrambler

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2024
Messages
42
Location
appleby
I’ll try again ! One day I’ll suss this phone out !
Hi Chris37 - you’ve stolen my thunder !!!
I was at Hellifield station on Sunday 15th waiting for the the 1033 Leeds to Morecambe service and on the display it read “delayed” (which in northern language means it won’t turn up!). But on Signal Box I could see it was only delayed by about 7 minutes and the Hellifield display read “delayed as more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time”. And this was also the announcement on the station PA. I thought this rather bizarre but as northern come up with some amazing excuses I thought this beets the lot!
Even when the train turned up 7 minutes late the visual display had not been updated. The joys and excitement of travelling on northern.
 

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2013
Messages
1,510
Location
Llandudno
In similar vein I nearly gave up at Llanrwst on Sunday when at 15.34 the 15.31 Llandudno train was still showing as Oedi / Delayed with the ominous message "This train has not yet left Blaenau Ffestiniog". Only the fact that the other passengers seemed unperturbed meant that I was still there when it turned up - only 6 minutes late (and with the screen still insisting it hadn't left Blaenau). RTT was also no help (presumably the same info feed) - showing no report at all.
There isn't really any signalling on the valley line apart from the Llanrwst loop, which means this happens very often and why us locals ignore CIS :)
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,898
And this was also the announcement on the station PA. I thought this rather bizarre but as northern come up with some amazing excuses I thought this beets the lot!
Even when the train turned up 7 minutes late the visual display had not been updated. The joys and excitement of travelling on northern.
This was because the unit was swapped out due to a failure, hence the reason given was correct.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,690
There isn't really any signalling on the valley line apart from the Llanrwst loop, which means this happens very often and why us locals ignore CIS :)
Yep, something similar happened to me a week or so ago. The Avanti service I was on took 30 minutes to uncouple at Chester, meaning that there was no hope of catching my bus at Bangor. I contemplated catching the service to Blaenau, but RTT was showing the inbound service leaving Blaenau on time, but then "delayed" at all stations beyond Roman Bridge, implying that it had broken down after departing Blaenau. Half an hour or so later, probably when it reached Llanrwst, it became on time again.

However, this problem does not seem to affect the Cambrian Coast, which also has long stretches where the signalling has no idea exactly where the train is.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,690
I’ll try again ! One day I’ll suss this phone out !
Hi Chris37 - you’ve stolen my thunder !!!
I was at Hellifield station on Sunday 15th waiting for the the 1033 Leeds to Morecambe service and on the display it read “delayed” (which in northern language means it won’t turn up!). But on Signal Box I could see it was only delayed by about 7 minutes and the Hellifield display read “delayed as more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time”. And this was also the announcement on the station PA. I thought this rather bizarre but as northern come up with some amazing excuses I thought this beets the lot!
Even when the train turned up 7 minutes late the visual display had not been updated. The joys and excitement of travelling on northern.
I am struggling to see how this is in any way relevant to the OP's query?
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,518
Location
London
IME Delayed just means one of the back office systems isn't/hasn't/can't be updated.
 

chrisp37

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
190
Location
London
You could always use the T2 through Trawscymru bus from Aber straight through to Porthmadog. I regularly use this service between Porthmadog and Mach, as it is significantly quicker than the train, and very reliable.

That sounds like a sensible suggestion although on this occasion part of the reason for the trip is to (finally, fingers crossed) get to travel on the Cambrian Coast line. We went in September 2022, and I foolishly hadn't clocked that the week I booked our trip was the first week of rail replacement buses on that line due to the works on the Barmouth viaduct. I was pretty gutted and I've been determined to get back and actually ride the line ever since!
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,468
Location
Somerset
There isn't really any signalling on the valley line apart from the Llanrwst loop, which means this happens very often and why us locals ignore CIS :)
And nicely proving that incorrect information is worse that no information at all. But hey, we’ve provided modern “real time information screens at all our stations”! We’ve ticked the box and that’s all that counts.
 

chrisp37

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
190
Location
London
Well, the service ran and we made our connection at Dovey Junction. 5 minute interchange on the timetable but the service from Aberystwyth arrived a little early and the service towards Pwllheli arrived a couple of minutes late, so we had about 8 or 9 mins at Dovey. So now that's two things ticked off my list: changing trains at Dovey Junction and travelling the full length of the Cambrian Coast line (we did a Porthmadog to Pwllheli return later that day).

What a wonderfully scenic line the Cambrian Coast is. My expectations were high and it didn't disappoint. I guess I knew what to expect as I'd mostly seen it before (albeit from a bus rather than a train). Can't wait to get back on it - hopefully next summer!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top