• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed new Channel Tunnel services discussion

TheWierdOne

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
428
Location
Yorkshire
Andy Burnham was in Germany yesterday, the Russian threat has moved the goalposts, and the view reading Germany news in English is that they want UK to be back close to Europe.

Apparently the view that Britain needs to penalised from Brexit has gone, and working to get closer ties back, is now the aim only German side (and personally I think Burnham understands the economic disaster from Brexit to)

My gut feeling is these are evidence of the initial physical rejoin plan, not that anyone dares announce Brexit reversal yet. Public need to slowly convert mindset though gradual improving the links between countries
Oh yes I totally forgot Citizen Burnham was hobnobbing with the chancellor yesterday. That probably has a lot to do with it, given he does have a reputation for public transport.

Edit: I believe that visit included ratifying the agreement that will allow British citizens to use German ePassport gates, which will help with the logistics of the immigration processes no doubt.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,261
Location
West Wiltshire
Alstom will also service the trains under a 30-year maintenance contract.
Interestingly the Virgin Press Release says secured track access until at least 2040, and they have signed a 30 year maintenance agreement with Alstom (which would therefore run until nearer 2060). The have obviously calculated risk that trains might end up being used elsewhere after 2040

Under a landmark agreement with French rail group Alstom, spanning the delivery of 12 trains, Virgin will operate a fleet of Avelia Stream trainsets capable of travelling at speeds of up to 300km/h, with customised interiors designed for cross-Channel travel.
No indication if train is 200m, 400m or some other length

Virgin Atlantic’s Clubhouses will help inspire pre-departure and onboard social spaces, giving passengers more flexibility to work, relax or socialise in style.
pre-departure, does that mean some sort of station departure lounge ? and if so where will it be in those cramped station waiting areas

 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,207
Location
Liverpool
Well if there were any doubt about the Virgin-Alstom deal I’d say it’s fully confirmed now. Virgin have released the first renders of what their trains will look like. I must say I rather like the livery.

View attachment 212999

https://www.virgin.com/media-centre...f-new-cross-channel-service-planned-from-2030



And in other news, from the same release, although I cannae find anything on the ORR website.
I have mixed feelings. It's very reminiscent of the 1990s Virgin Trains livery, and the flag effects are quite nice. But the lack of contrasting doors (I think white could've worked here) along with the big Virgin logo sort of make it look a bit unprofessional. But it's better than the original red and white concept in my opinion.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,663
Location
Northampton
But the lack of contrasting doors (I think white could've worked here) along with the big Virgin logo sort of make it look a bit unprofessional.
Presumably they'll need to adjust that to meet the PRM TSI (Persons with Disability and reduced Mobility Technical Specification for Interoperability), as Clause 4.2.2.3.2 (3) says:
All exterior passenger doorways shall be marked on the outside in a way that gives a contrast to the vehicle body-side surrounding them.
 

cle

Established Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
5,666
I can't imagine they will have Clubhouses. But maybe the train could have one, for business passengers - could be quite a flex. If you could earn VS / KL / AF / DL air/sky miles too, that would attract a huge amount of users. Americans keep Eurostar running practically, the demand is massive - and so many do open jaw trips (business and leisure) - and this would see many decamp from Eurostar.

But it would also grab the frequent flier members from their domestic markets (France, Netherlands) - Virgin Atlantic being the junior partner in this mix.
 

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,551
I have mixed feelings. It's very reminiscent of the 1990s Virgin Trains livery, and the flag effects are quite nice. But the lack of contrasting doors (I think white could've worked here) along with the big Virgin logo sort of make it look a bit unprofessional. But it's better than the original red and white concept in my opinion.

I don't think there's much point thinking too much about the details of that image, which someone probably made in about 15 minutes with chatGPT.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Perhaps the more interesting news on the Chunnel front is that moves are afoot regarding services to Köln Hbf. That is to say, the horrendously overworked station that Jon Worth thought London services would be impossible to run from.

Supposedly the plan is to install the ability to close off the southern half of platform 5 (enough for a 200m train, presumably) and access this via a new bridge from a terminal building outside the station. It's...bold.
They'd also have to close 4 as it's an island :)
 

Top