Crossforth
Established Member
Don't know whether this has been posted else where on here or who has seen it but for those interested:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8715011.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8715011.stm
I'd hardly call a networker a high speed train
-- removed --
My thoughts are with the family of those killed and those who were injured that day. I hope this inquest will answer some questions for them.
I don't like the implication that drivers need speed limiters, and they don't. 365's are not fitted with them.
Lorries, coaches AND trains have MAXIMUM speed limiters.
TBH any driver that regularly exceeds the maximum for the line or train will be out of a job very quickly indeed.
I think you will find that the maximum permitted speed was specially raised for that trip, thus the Driver was driving within the authorised speed.Agreed
I can't believe Richard Branson congratulated the driver of the 390 on the record run to Scotland for managing to keep the train at 129mph where he could. He is effectively encouraging speeding
I don't like the implication that drivers need speed limiters, and they don't. 365's are not fitted with them.
Now looking back at BR days, there was a requirement on the Driver to try to "make up" time where this was possible without endangering the train.
In those days the art of driving was in knowing both your train and your line.
Lorries, coaches AND trains have MAXIMUM speed limiters.
TBH any driver that regularly exceeds the maximum for the line or train will be out of a job very quickly indeed.
Chill out - I didn't say that a driver needed them*. I simply thought they HAD limiters as I've always been told how trains can't speed. But then I've never been on a Mk4/91 doing 140mph or a 313 doing almost a ton on the same bit of fast line as the 365s doing over 100!
On every single occasion that I've taken a certain FCC service that runs fast from Finsbury Park to Hatfield, I have GPS logs that show where it exceeds 100mph (and arrives anything up to THREE minutes early at Hatfield, which suggests it isn't trying to make up time!). I shall not mention the service time, or the day, so there's no accusation that I'm dropping any drivers in the proverbial. Not that I'd expect a few MPH over is a problem, given that there might be an acceptable margin of error on the speedo?
I certainly would expect a significant safety margin, so at NO TIME WHATSOEVER would I say that nudging it over 100mph is putting anyone or anything in danger. And I wouldn't want anyone to have ever thought I was suggesting that.
* Although, now you mention it, if the drivers are exceeding their permitted speed them maybe they do need limiters!![]()
Hang on. Why are we even discussing speeding?
Speed was not a causal factor in the accident, only a factor in the severity of the outcome. I am not aware that the driver was even suspected of speeding.
O L Leigh
I wouldn't be so sure of that, some may well allow this but legally you can be prosecuted for doing 70.1 mph on a motorway.Remember traffic police allow a 10% tolance.
I wouldn' be so sure of that, some may well allow this but legally you can be prosecuted for doing 70.1 mph on a motorway.
However I suspect this post has just poked a wasps nest, so all I can say is have you ever done 33mph in a 30mph zone?