• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
I've just read it (thanks) and I don't see the need for the apologetic reference.

There was good guidance given by the moderators in blue upper case and in full references were also attached.

Why is it that folk (not getting at you najaB) feel the need to do this? I find the Wikipedia entries for railways most useful and this entry was very interesting indeed.

To be fair, I have generally found Wikipedia accurate for railway information, but it is possible to find horrendously inaccurate entries, sometimes deliberately put in for whatever reason. One of the penalties of crowd-sourced information!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
It's also now the name of the pub in the middle of Waverley, the one that used to be Cooper's. I don't know if I would've named my bar after a filthy swamp hazardous to public health, but there you go.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,711
Location
Scotland
Why is it that folk (not getting at you najaB) feel the need to do this? I find the Wikipedia entries for railways most useful and this entry was very interesting indeed.
I didn't think that you were getting at me. :) It's a reminder that while generally good quality, it should never be relied on as a primary reference.
 

Flavia

New Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
3
As I travelled through Waverley this morning, I noticed that the message on the departure boards telling you how many coaches formed a service had disappeared. Does anyone know if this trial is over now?
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
As I travelled through Waverley this morning, I noticed that the message on the departure boards telling you how many coaches formed a service had disappeared. Does anyone know if this trial is over now?

I think it depends who the information controller is.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
I don't know if I would've named my bar after a filthy swamp hazardous to public health, but there you go.

It pretty much sums up the clientèle from when it was the "Talisman" - I had many a random day there when things just seemed to happen. In those days most passengers where on open tickets and letting a few trains go by to continue a convivial conversation over a few pints did not result in a steep penalty - well at least until the wifelet caught up with you! :oops:
 

och aye

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,018
Any news on the construction work at Platforms 5 & 6? I read somewhere that construction was originally meant to start sometime this month and finish in March.
 

iain-j

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2015
Messages
76
Location
Musselburgh
Any news on the construction work at Platforms 5 & 6? I read somewhere that construction was originally meant to start sometime this month and finish in March.
I've given up asking myself, several months ago at a local rail action group meeting it was suggested that "shovels would be in the ground by the end of the year" now it's Feb 2016.
 

iain-j

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2015
Messages
76
Location
Musselburgh
I guess there's no real rush to build them until 2018?
Well it would move East Coast trains terminating at Waverley away from the through platforms allowing actual through trains to use them more and would be a bit easier for passengers getting onto trains with cases etc. than is possible with the 'Sub' platforms.
It would also shut up all the people complaining about taxis not going into the station any more.
 

och aye

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,018
A friend of mine got in touch with the EGIP team.

It turns out they are planning to start preparatory work on platforms 5 & 6 in June and start major works in September, after the festival.

On another note, JD Wetherspoon's are due to open the former Jimmy Chung's restaurant as a pub sometime later this month.

s4nITJd.jpg
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,128
I was wondering who had taken over the Jimmy Chung's restaurant, mind you there other restaurant is also closed down so I wonder if there went bust.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,711
Location
Scotland
I was wondering who had taken over the Jimmy Chung's restaurant, mind you there other restaurant is also closed down so I wonder if there went bust.
Pretty sure their Dundee and Inverness branches are still open. Not sure about the others.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I was going to say one in Elgin, but it appears to have shut down since I left. No great loss.

The Wetherspoons looks good, and very in keeping with the ambiance of the area.
 

thealexweb

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
1,106
I was wondering who had taken over the Jimmy Chung's restaurant, mind you there other restaurant is also closed down so I wonder if there went bust.

The other Edinburgh branch was closed for a while for refurbishment last year. I have been to it once and got food poisoning. I would recommend Cosmo over it any day.
 

och aye

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,018
It's good to see people are keener to comment on the former Jimmy Chungs/New Whetherspoon's pub, than the date of when work will start on platforms 5 & 6. :lol:
 

QueensCurve

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
2,203
The opening of the Wetherspoon's pub has been pushed back to next month.

The days of local business are gone - all big brands owned by the super-rich. The station buffets are becoming Costa or Star*ucks.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,630
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The days of local business are gone - all big brands owned by the super-rich.

Actually not. Often owned by large corporate investors - which are very often pension investors, investing on behalf of you and me.

And, admittedly not in stations (where it tends to be SSP) but elsewhere, these brands are often small businesses. All Subway stores are franchises, Doctors Associates Inc (an interesting company name indeed) doesn't own any in the UK at least. Many McD's ones are. Quite a lot of Costa as well.
 
Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
2,203
Actually not. Often owned by large corporate investors - which are very often pension investors, investing on behalf of you and me.

And, admittedly not in stations (where it tends to be SSP) but elsewhere, these brands are often small businesses. All Subway stores are franchises, Doctors Associates Inc (an interesting company name indeed) doesn't own any in the UK at least. Many McD's ones are. Quite a lot of Costa as well.

Still super-rich corporate investers, which I think was what I meant.

Many of the Costas (Costae) are small franchised businesses, but I would rather they were local brands with local produce and an independent flavour.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
The privately owned coffee shop/cafe within Stirling station closed down last week too. Was very expensive compared to the place across the road - wonder if rent was very high.
 

TheEscapist_

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2011
Messages
150
Don't think this has been posted. The Whistlestop shop has been closed down and a Paperchase is opening in its place. Good to get something different in the station!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

och aye

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,018
Apologies for bringing this back on-topic. :D

Other than the development of the extended platforms are there any more works planned for the station?

I know NR have proposals to re-double one of the Calton Hill tunnels, but I think that's about it?

I knew back in the Railtrack days they had plans to build a shopping centre type facility above the vast air rights they hold, but were scuppered by the heritage watchdogs.

Also, does anyone know why NR didn't remove the remains of the Market Street to Calton Road bridge when they renewed the roof and replacing it with metal?
 

TheEscapist_

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2011
Messages
150
Apologies for bringing this back on-topic. :D



Other than the development of the extended platforms are there any more works planned for the station?



I know NR have proposals to re-double one of the Calton Hill tunnels, but I think that's about it?



I knew back in the Railtrack days they had plans to build a shopping centre type facility above the vast air rights they hold, but were scuppered by the heritage watchdogs.



Also, does anyone know why NR didn't remove the remains of the Market Street to Calton Road bridge when they renewed the roof and replacing it with metal?



I didn't even know about this bridge till I seen it on Lost Edinburgh. Would be great if they put it back!
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
Apologies for bringing this back on-topic. :D

Other than the development of the extended platforms are there any more works planned for the station?

I know NR have proposals to re-double one of the Calton Hill tunnels, but I think that's about it?

I knew back in the Railtrack days they had plans to build a shopping centre type facility above the vast air rights they hold, but were scuppered by the heritage watchdogs.

Also, does anyone know why NR didn't remove the remains of the Market Street to Calton Road bridge when they renewed the roof and replacing it with metal?

There are a number of options for additional capacity in the draft Scotland Route Study.

These include:
  • Redoubling Calton North tunnel
  • Remodelling Eastern approaches
  • New platform 3
  • Extending platforms 1, 20, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17
  • Demolishing southern ramp and making 5-6 through to 12-13 into through platforms
  • New mezzanine level where shops are now
  • Demolishing northern ramp and making platform 18 a new through platform
I suspect all of these will happen except possibly the last one.
 

iain-j

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2015
Messages
76
Location
Musselburgh
There are a number of options for additional capacity in the draft Scotland Route Study.

These include:
  • Redoubling Calton North tunnel
  • Remodelling Eastern approaches
  • New platform 3
  • Extending platforms 1, 20, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17
  • Demolishing southern ramp and making 5-6 through to 12-13 into through platforms
  • New mezzanine level where shops are now
  • Demolishing northern ramp and making platform 18 a new through platform
I suspect all of these will happen except possibly the last one.

Looking at how the Waverley is now, it looks like Platform 18 could be extended if the BTP building was removed and the other buildings underneath the north ramp as well. It would be similar to platforms 12 and 13 under the south ramp.
It also seems like a platform could be created to the north side of the North ramp essentially a mirror image of the one currently proposed for platform 12. These two could then become through tracks if indeed the North ramp is demolished.

On a separate point I know that both Calton tunnels were singled during electrification and read somewhere that the South tunnel had to be reinforced due to structural issues making redoubling prohibitive. The question I have is how much was the South tunnel reinforced and how much work would be involved to redouble it?
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
Looking at how the Waverley is now, it looks like Platform 18 could be extended if the BTP building was removed and the other buildings underneath the north ramp as well. It would be similar to platforms 12 and 13 under the south ramp.
It also seems like a platform could be created to the north side of the North ramp essentially a mirror image of the one currently proposed for platform 12. These two could then become through tracks if indeed the North ramp is demolished.

On a separate point I know that both Calton tunnels were singled during electrification and read somewhere that the South tunnel had to be reinforced due to structural issues making redoubling prohibitive. The question I have is how much was the South tunnel reinforced and how much work would be involved to redouble it?

You could be right that the platform 18 extension might not involve ramp demolition.

I think the new mezzanine level is probably the key to all of it.

Someone from Network Rail once described doubling Calton South to me as "virtually impossible".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top