It is supposed to be diagramed on the Huddersfield to Sheffield - Penistone Line but could be a crush in peak hours.
Nope, it's entirely crewed by TPE.
They stopped using the 185 on the first device awhile ago. It now uses the previous day's unit with the swap taking place on its return.
How on Earth do they go from whatever number seats are on a 2-car 144 now to less than on a 153?! I don't have the figures to hand for the number of seats, but I find it unbelievable that a 153 on its own has more capacity than a 2-car 144 now!
Apparently Northern are deciding which diagram to designate the unit to. It's seated capacity is now more similar to that of a 153 than the rest of the 2 car Pacers.
How on Earth do they go from whatever number seats are on a 2-car 144 now to less than on a 153?! I don't have the figures to hand for the number of seats, but I find it unbelievable that a 153 on its own has more capacity than a 2-car 144 now!
If it turns out to be the case that there is less demand for individual Pacer units, could a spare unit be inserted to make up another unit to three cars?
How about Porterbrook purchasing a few more 142s for just that![]()
Is that so that Northern doesn't need a traincrew depot at Cleethorpes? Makes sense...
Given the loss in capacity on the 2-car sets, I could see the potential for merging them all into 4-car sets, but as there's 13 2-car 144s and 23 144s, there'd be one unit of each class left over. They could be formed into a hybrid set, or stripped for spares. The same issues would apply to anything involving 142s, with the added complications such as differences in floor height (something that I have a feeling would also apply to any 143/4 hybrid as mentioned above.
I haven't seen the figures, but "similar to" does not necessarily mean "less than".
Have Angel Trains said anything OFFICIALLY that would pre-suppose they would divest themselves of any of their Class 142 units to a competitor such as Porterbrook.
RSSSG has undertaken some detailed analysis and sensitivity testing of the requirements for
self-powered trains in recent months. This has included detailed analysis of the total number of
Type A and Type B vehicles likely to be required in each year to 2022. This work has indicated
a potential requirement for 350 to 500 additional non-electric vehicles, for a variety of urban
stopping, rural stopping and inter-urban express services. This analysis assumes replacement
of most or all of the 290 Class 14x Pacer vehicles, and the provision of additional vehicles for
the alleviation of present levels of crowding and/or to permit future growth.
Unless they've snuck some DOO equipment in there on the sly!![]()
The peak on the Penistone line is weird... There's Honley schools, Huddersfield students and workers, and heavy commuter flow at Sheffield and Meadowhall... Barnsley seems to have reasonable peak traffic in and out, but not quite as heavy as the termini. The regular timetable requires 3 units with some swapping in and out in the evenings. If there's a diagram that hits Barnsley during the peak rather than Huddersfield or Sheffield that would work. Or perhaps the diagram which includes the 1812(?) from HUD which tends to be quieter than you might expect thanks to the 1748 extra which is formed from a Bradford arrival.
Is that so that Northern doesn't need a traincrew depot at Cleethorpes? Makes sense...
Neither have I - generally I've found them to be quite comfortable and much better than the awful modular seats in the Merseytravel refurbished Pacers. Whilst it is a good idea the one problem I can see with taking the seats out of an old bus for a Class 142 would be that the bench seats in buses generally only seat two passengers. That's fine if a two seat bench needs replacing but if a three seat bench needs replacing it may be a bit more difficult to find a replacement
Of course a three seater can indeed be replaced by a two seater but it would see a reduction of a single seat. On the other hand however I think it would be better to replace three seats with two rather than none at all
It shouldn't be too bad on the Heysham boat train from Leeds diagram from my experience
All three diagrams are 3 car 144s, including the extra one from Leeds in the evening. I would be surprised if they changed one to a two car for the purposes of a trial, one of the problems with the demonstrator is the loss of seats do its probably best not to exacerbate the situation by removing an entire vehicle.
It has been a while since I've seen anything with bogies on the Penistone line...
There certainly used to be a 150 on the Penistone, if I remember right it was the 0936, 1236 etc from Sheffield
Thete are problems with that.It can be painted gold, have deep pile carpet and an indoor swimming pool but, when it moves, people will still know it's a pacer.
The thing is, is this Pacer better in lots of ways than a standard 144?
Or would the customer prefer new trains if they were having to pay for them?