Blindtraveler
Established Member
- Joined
- 28 Feb 2011
- Messages
- 10,544
Cue a croud of Pacer Bashers with ALRs crouding out Northern, ATW and GWR services for the next 2 years!
Cue a croud of Pacer Bashers with ALRs crouding out Northern, ATW and GWR services for the next 2 years!
With Pacers (and, possibly, D-Trains) forbidden on Northern I expect either Porterbrook or Vivarail will be disapointed and only one of the two proposals will get much interest.The increased use of public transport on branch lines should be encouraged across all areas of the country. The use of refurbished Pacer or D-trains can still offer a low-cost solution to improve service frequency desired across secondary or tertiary routes.
You can do that anyway without needing to use Pacers. For example, South West Trains appear to be one of the more lucrative TOCs and can justify new trains so a new fleet of bi-mode units similar to the 5-WES (Wessex Electric) to replace the 158s and 159s at SWT could enable a cascade of 158s and 159s.Thus leaving investment in more expensive modern stock for the most lucrative commuter and express routes.
Perhaps a good idea in theroy, but open access operators need to make a profit without subsidy and the sort of routes Pacers and D-Trains are likely to be suitable for probably require subsidy.And if Northern cannot improve frequency, then perhaps an open access operator should stimulate growth through use of these units.
An open access operator would still be constrained by the Esk Valley infrastructure in the same way as Northern and the NYMR.Northern rail currently operates their Esk Valley line between Middlesborough and Whitby with a service interval of 3 hours. I'm sure potential customers would be encouraged by an hourly service operated by a refurbished fleet rather than wait 3 hours for the next train to arrive. And if Northern cannot improve frequency, then perhaps an open access operator should stimulate growth through use of these units.
An open access operator would still be constrained by the Esk Valley infrastructure in the same way as Northern and the NYMR.
Northern rail currently operates their Esk Valley line between Middlesborough and Whitby with a service interval of 3 hours. I'm sure potential customers would be encouraged by an hourly service operated by a refurbished fleet rather than wait 3 hours for the next train to arrive. And if Northern cannot improve frequency, then perhaps an open access operator should stimulate growth through use of these units.
And an open access operator would able operate this service at a profit would they even with a railbusThere's a reason why Open Access operators tend to operate services on the main line routes out of London. Grand Central proposed operating a Trans Pennine service from Sunderland originally, but they soon realised that operating some form of competing service against a highly subsidised TOC wasn't going to happen.
Railbuses are only cheap to operate if they are in single formation and when you compare them to a longer DMU e.g. a 30m 142 is cheaper to operate than a 40m 150. A pair of 142s (60m) aren't cheaper to run than a 156+153 (69m.)
Are you sure about 'Sunderland Transpennine'? They did propose and submit an ORR application for York to Chester via Wakefield & Rochdale (which was rejected) and have proposed various Euston services starting in West Yorkshire but I can't find any reference to Sunderland to Manchester or similar.
I got the train from Honley to Huddersfield today, and to my surprise the e-Pacer turned up. The seating now allows good legroom, although the noise and ride quality won't fool anyone that it's a new train. I took a few photos here.
Finally got to ride on 144012 today - it formed half of a Leeds to Horsforth cricket special.
A strange mix of old and new. Mutton dressed up as lamb seems an apt description. The saloon seems bright and airy with the new lights and no luggage racks. But it is in need of a deep clean already.
The new PIS got a station ahead of itself and kept repeating a spurious announcement about passcom activation.
Deep clean? Looks fine from the photos
Deep clean? Looks fine from the photos
You need to look under the seats.
CCTV and WiFi on a Castleford to Leeds service was certainly unexpected - although the information screen just seemed to be stuck on a No Smoking notice
Out of interest why didn't they consider adding power points, or even just USB sockets to the trial unit?
Out of interest why didn't they consider adding power points, or even just USB sockets to the trial unit?
I don't think Northern paid for anything. The Rosco did and as such they chose the specification. For whatever reason, they clearly thought it wouldn't justify the expense. Possibly there would be an issue with the power supply.
It has been said that if the 14x/15x wanted more luxuries they would have to replace the alternator with a beefier one, which of course would eat in to engine power. You can save a bit of power from replacing the old lighting with LED ones.
Well I rode on 144012 yesterday from Sheffield to Retford, the 15:45 departure (ex Adwick).
It was the third time I had been on the unit having first travelled on it back in November and then again earlier in the month.
The train was full and standing from Sheffield for starters which doesn't help things, but that wasn't my main disappointment with the train. To say it's been running for less than a year since refurbishment, three main things were wrong with the train:
1) The toilet was out of order. I had to stand next to it until Worksop due to overcrowding, so I saw the notice explaining that the door had to be pulled open and pushed shut and also wouldn't lock. The lights were on inside but the door button was off and an out of order sign was visible at the carriage end of it. I think people could use it in an emergency but at the risk of the door opening on them, and whether the toilet was flushing or not I don't know.
![]()
2) The Passenger Information System wasn't working. The LED screen on the front of the train was blank and the colour LCD display inside the carriage was only displaying a no smoking message. There were no automatic announcements either which I thought there was originally.
![]()
![]()
3) The WiFi was useless! I didn't even get it to work in November and forgot all about it earlier in the month. I did manage to connect to it but a Speedtest showed speeds of 0.2 Mbps down and 0.1 Mbps up. This was set in Sheffield station where all mobile networks offer 4G, so it wasn't a backhaul issue (on train WiFi connects to the internet using 3G and 4G). It was a similar story a few minutes out of the station and even Wikipedia wouldn't load. While there are a few not spots on my phone, Three (who I'm with) has 4G coverage for quite a bit of the route and decent 3G coverage otherwise. I'm sure the on train WiFi also has SIM Cards for EE, O2 and Vodafone and it likely has an antenna on the roof, so surely performance should be far better than on my mobile? I doubt there were that many people using it!
![]()
Overall, disappointing to see given it's the one Pacer that Porterbrook have refurbished. Add this to passengers often reporting how uncomfortable the seats are and it's not impressive at all. I hope the refurbished 150's, 156's and 158's fair better.
(Sorry for the large images. I've used Tinypic before a few years ago but they didn't appear as large as that. Any ideas how to make them smaller?)