Anyone know what happened to 769442 yesterday (29/09/2021)?
I saw after getting to Stockport for it that it had been cancelled at Wigan on its way from Southport to Alderley Edge. It seems likely it was a technical issue, as it didn't reappear later on so not a route/service issue.
I managed a ride with 769450 which was in excellent health it would appear, saw it multiple times during the day. 769434, I did a properly decent length run with that from Gathurst to Manchester Piccadilly. I've now had a Northern 769 on diesel, and where I was sat in the motor coach I didn't really notice a difference in sound between the diesel engine and the electric motors. There was a lot of noise, and it was rather windy so that sound could have muffled the engine sound on its way through the hopper window.
It did sound a bit rough in places between Gathurst and Bolton, as if there was some sort of grinding? I'm not sure how I would describe it really. I didn't hear it again later on, so who knows? 434 still put in a good performance, so it can't have been much of an issue and I could well have just been hearing other sounds from outside being thrust into the train by the wind!
3 more 769s to go with Northern, one day I might actually get them in the book!
769458 was in the bay platform at Wigan when I headed back to Manchester, it appeared to be on the 1554 to Southport. Screens suggested it would be two coaches, so that was a bit of a surprise.