• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform 0 (Was Platform Y) at King's Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackenzie_blu

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2008
Messages
493
Location
Zone 3 - Northern Line
Yes to a certain point, I can see a journey from A to B and what traction it's booked as but as a example it just says Sprinter which could be anything from a 153 to a 159 so unless you know beforehand you wouldn't know!

Unless of course the TOC has decided to pay out for TOPS access as well which in NXEC's case, you can indeed find out what the exact formation and the numbers for the carriages, DVT and Clas 91 and what way round it is.

I know we used to have it (TOPS) but we don't as it got taken out years ago as a cost cutting measure.

Still we have TRUST and P2 so between the pair of them, it tells us basically what the train should be.

I'll just edit that to some GN station have TRUST, its gone on the TL side!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barclay

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2010
Messages
143
I was working on the roof of Kings Cross on Tuesday, and noticed the first test train into the new platform 0. Here's a photo:

4583140381_8a5a9f74e3_o.jpg
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
And the first test train is a FCC 317, woohoo! Can't argue against that, :)
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I "think" you would be looking at the May timetable, one of the things they as in Network Rail ought to have done is lengthen Platforms 9 to 11 to take 12 cars which would help greatly.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
I thought it was going to become platform 1 and everything shifted up by 1 by the time the 'new' station is completed and opened? Common sense prevailed, even though there will no doubt be more than a simple change of platform signs in order to make it happen.
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
I understood it to be platform 1 as well. The entire redevelopment - roof, concourse - won't be complete until 2012.
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Arrived alongside the new platform today, and noticed a sign saying "electric traction only". Presumably because of the amount of cover?
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
That would make sense, yes, presumably no fume extractors. I remember when an HST arrived in platform 13 (east side) at Liverpool Street on a railtour around 20 years ago, and that certainly fugged the place out for a while!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
The date it officially opens for business has been 100% confirmed as the 23rd May 2010, wondered how soon before I have to use it after opening....
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
I've been on a few FCC services that are booked to terminate at platform 1 during the day, which is quite a trek when you might expect it to be platform 11 or something.

I'd like to know what trains will be booked to start/stop there to go and check it out.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
It will be called platform 0, and will open before the May timetable change next week. They want it used by electric services only.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
Platform 0 makes sense for now, but I presume they're still going ahead with the eventual renaming to platform 1 and all of the others to go up by 1, for when the station is completely renovated?
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
Didn't know they had any full stop!

The roof space above platforms 1 to 8 as about as high-tech as fume extraction gets!

I notice that the space above the train for platform 0 is very limited, with the new offices directly above. I imagine a diesel train in there would monoxide half of the KX staff if it stayed very long :)

 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
Formally opened today - platform 0 signs everywhere. It looks a bit of a bodge job to be honest - brickwork on the track side spray painted grey, all the pillars between it and platform 1 making it a bit hemmed in. Still, it adds a bit more capacity to the station, and when a train is in it the worst is hidden.

Believe trains are timetabled to use it from Sunday, and platforms 1 and 2 will then be closed for several months for rebuilding - followed by all the other platforms in pairs over the next couple of years.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
So the extra capacity lasts for how long before we actually LOSE capacity?!
 
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,135
Location
North London
Formally opened today - platform 0 signs everywhere.

Will platform 0, become platform 1 ? Then add one to all the others ? Are there any other UK stations with a platform zero ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So the extra capacity lasts for how long before we actually LOSE capacity?!

Oh no... further disruption ?

Trouble is, after being the poor relation for so long, its neighbour St Pancras has emerged as the wonderful modern interchange. By comparison, Kings Cross is now looking decidely cramped and dilapidated.

Let's by hope by 2013, all that will change with the new KX booking hall on the western side facing St Pancras and the removal of that vile green awning facing out onto Euston Road.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I can think of Cardiff Central, Stockport & Haymarket which all have a platform 0. They may have been renumbered by now as not been to these stations recently

If platform 1 is closed there won't be much room for the passengers off a crowded 8-coach train arriving in platform 0 to leave the platform! (it is bad enough on platform 1 at the moment when a morning peak train arrives!)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
I expect disruption at King's Cross and I am happy to put up with it to get a station that will be significantly better than the run down station we have now (and it's only looking so run down because there's no point keeping a station building 'clean' during building work).

I am looking forward to the result, and hope we'll start to see some real improvements along the way. I presume there are specific phases, not just hoardings up for years and then a single unveiling?
 
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,135
Location
North London
I am looking forward to the result, and hope we'll start to see some real improvements along the way. I presume there are specific phases, not just hoardings up for years and then a single unveiling?

And so am I. Kings Cross is really looking the poor relative over the road from St Pancras. Doubt if there will be any single unveilings. The key dates appear to be
2011 - new western concourse opens
2013 - removal of the vile green Euston Rd awning and public space opens in its place

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6292.aspx
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Mrs O, a hardened KX-LDS traveller, returned from London yesterday. I had pre-warned her about Platform 0, and, sure enough, her train went from there. She said that, without my advice, she would have just assumed there was a problem, and expected the indicator to be corrected (other travellers expressed the same opinion). She was not aware of any other signs. Now I think that this is an interesting psychological point - she is so familiar with the setting that she does not see the signs that are there, particularly when she arrives "just in time" as I would guess most commuters do. Expect fun and games.
Incidentally, I seem to recall from somewhere that there was the possibility that the platforms across the whole of the Kings Cross/St Pancras/Thameslink complex were eventually going to be renumbered into one sequence. Is this true, or had I had too much cheese before going to sleep that night?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top