Dispatchers are not authorising people to travel in 1st class. It's a common sense, pragmatic approach. Surely you can see this is common sense?Doesn't that come under thr authorised person exemption.
Dispatchers are not authorising people to travel in 1st class. It's a common sense, pragmatic approach. Surely you can see this is common sense?Doesn't that come under thr authorised person exemption.
I didnt say they were authorising people to travel in first class merely board by the door.Dispatchers are not authorising people to travel in 1st class. It's a common sense, pragmatic approach. Surely you can see this is common sense?
I spend 7 hours a day 49 weeks of the year travelling in trains so probably spend more time in trains than you do tbh.I guess you are not well travelled; people are encouraged to do this at times. If a common sense approach was not adopted, some people would miss the train from termini. "Sorry, you can't board this train unless you agree to upgrade"? I can't see it somehow!
So this morning at Leeds, everyone waited patiently for those getting off before starting to board....then one laggard needs to get off and fouls up the whole process.
Isnt it a bylaw offence to board accommodation for which you do not have the correct ticket. Several people have been reported for exiting first class doors when they didnt have a first class ticket I dont see why entering should be any different.
Except with permission from an authorised person, no person shall remain in any seat, berth or any part of a train where a notice indicates that it is reserved for a specified ticket holder or holders of tickets of a specific class, except the holder of a valid ticket entitling him to be in that particular place.
There have been people in disputes and prosecutions who have been pfd for exiting through the first class carriage at liverpool streetThe actual Byelaw says:
While I'm sure a lawyer could twist the definition, the word "remain" is key, transiting through a first class section (which as others have pointed out is often necessary on trains where first class is not at one end, or sometimes even then for access to short platforms) doesn't seem to be what the law is intended to prevent.
While I agree that all available doors should be used for boarding, in general the "polite" order of access should be (1) people disembarking, then (2) people boarding and finally (3) people moving through the train, especially from other carriages. On "Intercity" layout vehicles, the door between the saloon and vestibule is much more of a bottleneck than the external door, so people boarding the adjacent carriage and moving through do not speed up boarding in any appreciable way.
There have been people in disputes and prosecutions who have been pfd for exiting through the first class carriage at liverpool street

- And once there were two people once who spent what must have been 10 minutes arguing over the use of the priority seats! "I need to sit down I have knee problems", "well I have health issues too, so why don't you ask someone else to move", "really, so what are your 'health issues'" and so on.
If there's a bag on the seat and the owner refuses to move it, I'm quite happy to land my 18 stone on it as I sit down. Said bag owner may have a different opinion though.
If there's a bag on the seat and the owner refuses to move it, I'm quite happy to land my 18 stone on it as I sit down. Said bag owner may have a different opinion though.
Personal highlight for me was asking a guy in his 40s/50s to move a bag off a seat in the Eurostar Paris departure lounge so my pregnant wife (who was feeling dizzy and nauseous at the time) could sit down (I explained she was pregnant and needed to sit down).
His response? "Well, I've got a wife too you know!" (who was busy shopping at the time). It took an older lady on the opposite side of the row to stand up and offer my wife a seat instead (for which we thanked her)...
This is the same argument as when two lanes go to one on the road. One group says you should all the road and ziplock at the end, the other says you should queue in the lane which remains open.
My view is if nobody is getting out* at a particular door even if it leads into first class, then if someone doesn't choose to use it, that is their choice and not my problem.
*obviously if someone is getting off then the same rules apply, wait until they have done so.
People may argue about two lanes going into one, but the correct answer is you use all road space and merge at the end, at a similar speed so no lane ever actually comes to a stop. It's not really open to debate yet people on motoring forums do so every day. We are now having to put signs up for the idiots ....
Getting *way* off topic....
Please put up those signs more often. It legitimises the desired behaviour.
On a train, you'd expect people to use all available doors,
Getting *way* off topic....
Please put up those signs more often. It legitimises the desired behaviour.
Agreed. Merge in turn signs are a *lot* of help. As would Police charging people who attempt to block lanes to enforce queueing with dangerous driving and making a big thing of it.
People may argue about two lanes going into one, but the correct answer is you use all road space and merge at the end, at a similar speed so no lane ever actually comes to a stop. It's not really open to debate, yet people on motoring forums do so every day. We are now having to put signs up for the idiots who see 'road works 3m' signs and then slow to form an orderly queue on a three or four lane motorway, with some deciding to even pull out and block off lanes as you get closer to the merging point. They then wonder why they queued for ages, and get all riled up over the 'queue jumpers' that could, and should, have comprised them too.
On a train, you'd expect people to use all available doors, with exceptions for those with reserved tickets, those travelling in a particular class, or having needs (like needing to be in the accessible area).
They are becoming more common. The (official?) Highway Code twitter account also posts from time to time to tell people about this, keeping left unless overtaking and other basic stuff that some people - of ALL ages - seem totally unaware of, or believe they 'know better'.
One solution off the roads that might work in this instance is the railway equivalent of the stickers you see on the rear of busses that says "Let busses pull out - Highway code rule (#X)". A prominent sticker near the door open button saying "Let passengers off the train before you board - Railway Byelaw (#Y)" might encourage the proper behaviour.
I do drive and have only just realised that!I've only just realised that "Merge in turn" doesn't mean "Merge as the road curves"
This is why I don't drive.