• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino Door Vinyls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up_Tilt_390

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
923
For the most part we know what the Pendolino looks like; silver bodyshell, red roof and side swoosh outlined by white, and of course branded with the famous Virgin logo. There's also the grey and white diagonal stripes on the doors aside from the one used by the driver, but from what I've seen people have found this slightly unappealing.

By that I mean from what I've seen the forums people seem to prefer them as a solid single grey door, but to me this just doesn't match the livery because it just looks dull among the silver and red. If it was silver and black it'd probably look nice, but what do people find so unappealing about the striped vinyls? Now I might be wrong and most people might prefer it the way I do, but if not then please tell me what you find unappealing about the doors. Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up_Tilt_390

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
923
The grey doors look cleaner & more contrasting that with the stripes.

I think that's my problem though, cause the fact they contrast so much makes it look like it's been pasted on and looks like something that could be done in Microsoft Paint. Maybe if the stripes got a new coat?
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
They are supposed to contrast with the body of the carriage, it's compliance with various acts of Parliament like the Disability Discrimination Act, the Equality act and the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations. (link)
 

Up_Tilt_390

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
923
They are supposed to contrast with the body of the carriage, it's compliance with various acts of Parliament like the Disability Discrimination Act, the Equality act and the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations. (link)

Does that mean those door vinyls aren't allowed then?
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
As an aside I've been told by more than one senior conductor on the GEML that the ex-virgin MkIII pretendolino is not too popular with staff as the stripes on the doors make it harder to see if they are closed properly, especially compared to the AGA livery. Doubt the cosmetics department at Virgin would have considered that.
 
Last edited:

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
The Rail Vehicle Accessibility (Non-Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2010
“contrast” means contrast in the amount of light reflected;
3.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), each passenger doorway in the side of a rail vehicle must be indicated clearly by doors which on their exterior contrast with the exterior of the vehicle to each side of the doors (excluding any contrast resulting from a window or control device being set in the doors).

That's what RVAR has to say about it. The remainder of the section on doors does not deal with contrast. You can do whatever you want, as long as you can argue that there's contrast. No restriction on design, method of achieving the contrast, colour choice, or anything else.
 

ag51ruk

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2014
Messages
629
The stripes weren't just there to comply with those regs, because they were also on the inside of the doors - and are being removed at the same time as the exterior stripes.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Yes the stripes were more of a don't lean on me/watch out I move to passengers inside and out.

I think a few Tocs liveries are seriously bad for not incorporating the need for contrast into the design and just sticking a grey circle around them which has no relationship to the rest of the livery.

There are similar requirements for seat grab handles and carpets to be contrasting.
 
Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
The door stripes always amused me as I thought they were an attempt to make the trains look like those of one of the European high speed train operators who uses the same - although they do so on the doors that are not for passenger use. I can't seem to find images of this operator at the moment however.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,090
really dont see the point in having a contrasting colour IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

Because of this we can no longer have sleek liveries will nice lines etc Intercity etc.

I know ive been called "selfish" on this forum for my view on this but it seems almost overkill for me to do this to doors. Now that door buttons have to have flashing lights around them and there is also a door open siren, this contrast rule should be withdrawn.
 

TailLight

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
26
really dont see the point in having a contrasting colour IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

Because of this we can no longer have sleek liveries will nice lines etc Intercity etc.

I know ive been called "selfish" on this forum for my view on this but it seems almost overkill for me to do this to doors. Now that door buttons have to have flashing lights around them and there is also a door open siren, this contrast rule should be withdrawn.

I agree, where is the proof that "contrast" on a door helps people? The door will be opened and you see inside, surely all that matters is differentiation between interior and the gap between carriages?
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
But doors don't automatically open (unless someone is getting off) and you have to find where the door is to press the button...
 

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
I agree, where is the proof that "contrast" on a door helps people? The door will be opened and you see inside, surely all that matters is differentiation between interior and the gap between carriages?

You need to be able to see the closed door for cases where the doors do not all open when released, i.e. when they are opened by passengers pushing the button. Speaking as someone who has fully correctable vision, but is below the threshold for "blind" without glasses, I can see the point of them. My uncorrected vision is limited to around 6 inches for seeing things clearly, and about 4 or 5 feet for being able to tell what most unknown fuzzy blobs probably are. Without glasses, I would be unable to tell where the closed door is from further than around 1-2m away from it, if the contrast was absent. It's important to remember that many people who are blind do actually still have some very limited vision, and the contrast is to help them.
 

TailLight

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
26
You need to be able to see the closed door for cases where the doors do not all open when released, i.e. when they are opened by passengers pushing the button. Speaking as someone who has fully correctable vision, but is below the threshold for "blind" without glasses, I can see the point of them. My uncorrected vision is limited to around 6 inches for seeing things clearly, and about 4 or 5 feet for being able to tell what most unknown fuzzy blobs probably are. Without glasses, I would be unable to tell where the closed door is from further than around 1-2m away from it, if the contrast was absent. It's important to remember that many people who are blind do actually still have some very limited vision, and the contrast is to help them.

Interesting, I did not know that. Clearly usability of the train is more important than aesthetics. Do you ever find it difficult to locate the doors once they are opened, for example on stock where the doors slide into the inside of the bodyshell rather than on the exterior?
 
Last edited:

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
Interesting, I did not know that. Clearly usability of the train is more important than aesthetics. Do you ever find it difficult to locate the doors once they are opened, for example on stock where the doors slide into the inside of the bodyshell rather than on the exterior?

Since I normally have my glasses, I have no problem at all. Without them, I'm fairly certain that I'd be able to figure out which fuzzy blob was the open door, assuming that the interior was lit.

In my case, it would be a rather moot point, if I had lost my glasses, as I would either seek assistance from staff to help me safely board or take a taxi if there were no staff. I don't have the experience of a real blind person in dealing with the world (I'm extremely careful not to lose my glasses), so there's a higher safety risk for me to the point that I'd need someone to assist if I did lose them. I just have the ability to see roughly what the world looks like for the subset of blind people who retain some vision (and can't be corrected, like mine can), by taking my glasses off.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
Would it meet the rules if doors were built with a neat row of LEDs around the frame that only lit up when the door was cut in?
 

Carntyne

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2015
Messages
1,026
really dont see the point in having a contrasting colour IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

Because of this we can no longer have sleek liveries will nice lines etc Intercity etc.

I know ive been called "selfish" on this forum for my view on this but it seems almost overkill for me to do this to doors. Now that door buttons have to have flashing lights around them and there is also a door open siren, this contrast rule should be withdrawn.

It's a great help to partially sighted people in finding the doors. Flashing door buttons are no use.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
I agree, where is the proof that "contrast" on a door helps people? The door will be opened and you see inside, surely all that matters is differentiation between interior and the gap between carriages?

The doors aren't automatically opened, they open when a passenger presses a button. If no one is alighting and no one else boarding nearby, then that could be a partially sighted person.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
really dont see the point in having a contrasting colour IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

Because of this we can no longer have sleek liveries will nice lines etc Intercity etc.

I know ive been called "selfish" on this forum for my view on this but it seems almost overkill for me to do this to doors. Now that door buttons have to have flashing lights around them and there is also a door open siren, this contrast rule should be withdrawn.

It IS selfish, and there have been attractive liveries (GNER for example) that had/have contrasting doors
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
Yes i believe that it is due to disabled discrimination legislation coming into place and the old doors not being up to scratch, im sure someone with more info will be able to explain further.
Sam
 

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393
Yes i believe that it is due to disabled discrimination legislation coming into place and the old doors not being up to scratch, im sure someone with more info will be able to explain further.
Sam

They were coloured with the Disability Discrimination Act in mind originally - I think this is just a cosmetic decision from Virgin.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
They were coloured with the Disability Discrimination Act in mind originally - I think this is just a cosmetic decision from Virgin.

Ahh i knew it was something to do with that, it seems i have completely the wrong end of the stick.
Sam
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top