Hi there,
I’m hoping for a bit of advice regarding a penalty fare my daughter recently received while travelling on Merseyrail, we’ve appealed the penalty twice and will now be on the final appeal so would like to know if I should just pay it for her or appeal again.
She’s a student and was returning back after the summer break. my husband has been seriously ill ( explained in the appeal with no acknowledgement from both assessors) so she had to travel back on the National Express to Liverpool and then catch the train from Liverpool to Ormskirk. She’s never caught the train before as her Dad has always drove her back so she was doing this all alone at 10pm at night. She bought a central zone ticket thinking this was the correct one to get her to Ormskirk but obviously when it was checked at Town Green she was told she didn’t have the correct ticket and was issued with a 03 travel beyond validity penalty. She explained the situation to the inspector and asked if she could just pay the difference (£2.50) as it was a genuine mistake but this was refused.
I’m just really frustrated that a young girl travelling alone at night under the circumstances explained above has been treated like this with no empathy, I understand she bought the wrong ticket but this was a genuine mistake that I thought the penalty appeals service would accept but this doesn’t seem to be the case. The latest appeal has come back with that as she was travelling on a through service the penalty fare will stand.
Any advice regarding this will be very much appreciated!
I’m hoping for a bit of advice regarding a penalty fare my daughter recently received while travelling on Merseyrail, we’ve appealed the penalty twice and will now be on the final appeal so would like to know if I should just pay it for her or appeal again.
She’s a student and was returning back after the summer break. my husband has been seriously ill ( explained in the appeal with no acknowledgement from both assessors) so she had to travel back on the National Express to Liverpool and then catch the train from Liverpool to Ormskirk. She’s never caught the train before as her Dad has always drove her back so she was doing this all alone at 10pm at night. She bought a central zone ticket thinking this was the correct one to get her to Ormskirk but obviously when it was checked at Town Green she was told she didn’t have the correct ticket and was issued with a 03 travel beyond validity penalty. She explained the situation to the inspector and asked if she could just pay the difference (£2.50) as it was a genuine mistake but this was refused.
I’m just really frustrated that a young girl travelling alone at night under the circumstances explained above has been treated like this with no empathy, I understand she bought the wrong ticket but this was a genuine mistake that I thought the penalty appeals service would accept but this doesn’t seem to be the case. The latest appeal has come back with that as she was travelling on a through service the penalty fare will stand.
Any advice regarding this will be very much appreciated!
Last edited: