In September, I mistakenly bought a ticket using a 16-17 railcard instead of my 16-25 railcard. The guard caught it, asked for my railcard and cancelled the ticket. He took my address etc and promised me I wouldn't get a fine as I was really stressed out by this- just that I would get a letter. I got an email asking for proof of my railcard saying they were investigating all my journeys as there was evidence I had used my 16-25 railcard- which I provided. I didn't get any response other than confirmation of receipt so I assumed the issue was resolved as I have a valid railcard however, I just received a letter stating a fine for £279 (£159 for fare avoided £120 operational and administrative costs).
I have 21 days to pay or it may go to court. I have sent an email to appeal but I'm not sure what my chances are of being answered and if I even have a case...
It was genuinely bought in error and I tried to buy a new ticket but the guard wouldn't have it (he also cancelled my ticket so I had to buy a new one to return home).
With my normal railcard, the return ticket would cost about £10, and the one I bought was £8 which I assumed was due to travelling off-peak. I also saw this below on the website and am not sure how it works - would the amount be refunded? How can I be charged over £100 for administrative costs!!!
"If you travel in a Penalty Fare area from a penalty fare designated station and cannot show a valid ticket, we may issue you a Penalty Fare Notice. A Penalty Fare is £100 plus the price of the full single fare applicable for your intended journey. However, if it is paid within 21 days, the Penalty Fare is reduced to £50 plus the price of the single fare applicable."
I have 21 days to pay or it may go to court. I have sent an email to appeal but I'm not sure what my chances are of being answered and if I even have a case...
It was genuinely bought in error and I tried to buy a new ticket but the guard wouldn't have it (he also cancelled my ticket so I had to buy a new one to return home).
With my normal railcard, the return ticket would cost about £10, and the one I bought was £8 which I assumed was due to travelling off-peak. I also saw this below on the website and am not sure how it works - would the amount be refunded? How can I be charged over £100 for administrative costs!!!
"If you travel in a Penalty Fare area from a penalty fare designated station and cannot show a valid ticket, we may issue you a Penalty Fare Notice. A Penalty Fare is £100 plus the price of the full single fare applicable for your intended journey. However, if it is paid within 21 days, the Penalty Fare is reduced to £50 plus the price of the single fare applicable."
Attachments
Last edited: