• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak Times - do they still really exist in the new WFH Environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
7 Aug 2025
Messages
362
Location
Portsmouth
Hi Everyone,

Just question from reading the project Oval discussion.

With what looks like the installation of "Afternoon Peaks", I thought, is "peak" times actually still a thing in the post COVID WFH world? A lot of things i have seen here suggest that since WFH is now a thing, the daily commute isn't what it used to be. I thought some routes have not had the pre COVID service frequency reinstated because its not needed.

So, as someone who doesn't commute so wouldn't appreciate it so much, how busy are the trains now in the peak times, and how does it compare to off peak times?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
Trains are busier at peak times than off-peak in my experience, although certain off-peak trains (like lunch time and when schools/colleges finish) are busy.
And I see trains busier on Saturdays than I almost ever do on Weekdays (but I do more travel on Saturdays)
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
It's interesting. Taking my local line as an example (Middlesbrough - Saltburn) there's definitely still a clear morning and evening peak Monday to Friday. With Monday and Friday themselves being a bit quieter than Tuesday to Thursday. But if you travel in the middle of the day the trains are still generally notably quieter than in the peaks. But the busiest trains that I regularly use are by far on a Saturday or Sunday morning in the summer. I will not infrequently get the 1124 from Middlesbrough towards Saltburn and if the sun is threatening to come out that train will be absolutely full and standing and leave people behind. This time of year the leisure demand to the seaside is not quite as high :lol:

I obviously can't swear to how it is down in Project Oval land as I don't live there but I would imagine if I'm seeing a pattern like the above (defined peaks during the week with some high demand for leisure travel at certain times) I'm sure that the same would apply for South East as well.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,428
Location
The Fens
Yes the peak still exists in both London and Cambridge. The London peak is nowhere near as busy as when I commuted, but it is definitely still there. Recent anecdotal evidence, watching trains at Cambridge, is that the peak there is bigger than it has ever been.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,809
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
With a lot of people returning to the office I'd say they do. They largely don't on a Friday, but on other days, particularly Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, they are still quite prominent, if not quite as prominent as they were.

What has changed is the InterCity peak, which is what the LNER fare increase trial is aimed at addressing (aside from making more money). The InterCity peak is now basically Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, with a secondary Thursday afternoon one made up mostly of weekly commuters. People have been priced off morning/afternoon "peak" services on such journeys to the extent that those times can be really quite quiet these days.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
Often peak times today means Saturday afternoon. (e.g., Merseyrail Liverpool to Chester and v.v.-rammed)
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,397
Many routes have a "Saturday morning problem", particularly towards London and other major destinations, at which time trains are overloaded
 

Kilopylae

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
1,111
Location
Uxbridge (ex Devon)
I work from home most of the time but commute about once a week. It certainly "feels" like there is a peak on the Tube - all of the seats are usually gone on an inbound Metropolitan line train within three stops of the end of the line; there's a big rush across to the semi-fast at Harrow on the Hill; the trains get held at red signals a lot. There's also a full-and-standing evening peak around 5, at least in the centre, but things thin out quite fast towards the edges.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
I commute from Stevenage to London at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5.

In the mornings Monday and Friday into London are dead. Friday was already moving heavily that way pre-covid.
Tuesdays-Thursdays are much busier. Standing room only throughout the train on the 07:47 12-car class 700 (that's standing only upon arrival). On the 07:51 12-car 700 you'll get a seat right at the back of the train most days.

Anecdotally, you see more 'manual' type workers at 07:00 and more office type workers at 08:00. All the trains are just as busy though.

Coming home, all the trains are busy as the peak tends to be more spread out. Expect to stand on 12-car class 700s. Anecdotally, you see more 'manual' type workers at 07:00 and more office type workers at 08:00. All the trains are just as busy though.

The LNER trains are the interesting ones. I don't see them at Stevenage in the morning as there aren't any making calls pre-09:00 but the 17:33 and 18:33 convey fresh air, even though they both call at Stevenage. On Tuesday and Wednesday this week I travelled on the 18:33 LNER departure from Kings Cross. On Tuesday there were just 14 passengers in coach C. On Wednesday there were 20 in coach C.
 
Joined
16 Aug 2017
Messages
456
Still running a reduced timetable compared with pre-COVID, SWR definitely has peaks on Tuesdays to Thursdays and much less so, though increasing, on Mondays and Fridays. Notably, "peaky" trouble finding a seat carries on longer into the evenings now that some routes have half the service they used to have. Has any TOC thought about removing peaks just on Mondays and Fridays I wonder? TfL's off-peak Fridays was quite an expensive trial, I think.
 
Last edited:

SteveHFC

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
269
The peaks are definitely still a thing on Thameslink between Bedford and London, less so on Friday mornings. It's got noticably busier over the two years I have been commuting between Leagrave and Blackfriars.
 

kentrailman

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2019
Messages
129
Location
Kent
Some of the "peak" south eastern high speed services from Ashford to London are the only ones of the day that usually have seats free ... because of the fare differential. I tend to try to catch the best ones ( my secret which ones ) to avoid the crowds which seem to affect most other services on this line all day ... indeed I am standing on one in a crowded door vestibule right now at 1400 !
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
I suspect how crowded trains are at Peak and Off Peak times varies a lot between Intercity and your more local train services.

For example when I'm selling train tickets to passengers travelling to/from London, they understandably often travel into London on the first Off Peak train of the day and return out of London either on the last Off Peak train before the afternoon/evening restrictions come into place or the very first Off Peak train afterwards.

I suspect these very first morning Off Peak or evening very first Off Peak trains are much busier than some Avanti peak time trains.
 

blueberry11

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2023
Messages
162
Location
Norwich
Of course, the reason why Saturdays are busy is because no one has school or office work. For some, that is there only free time. Its also because passengers can travel all day weekend with an off-peak train ticket and not to worry about departing London before 1600 or after 1900.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
The TOCs have been steadily extending the definition of peak hours travel in order to take more money off their customers. Let's go back to the days when a ticket was a ticket without complicating the issue. It would also stop a lot of prosecutions (or exploitative settlements) for honest mistakes. Scotland has shown the way, although retaining such restrictions with their rover tickets.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,961
Location
Gwynedd
Yes, still relevant I think.

I suppose we ought to think about peak and off peak in their literal terms rather than trying to think too much about the causes of the peaks. On the Hope Valley Line it could be considered that the early Saturday/Sunday morning trains are peak given the number of walkers etc boarding for example; nothing to do with work though.

But as others have alluded to - from a work point of view, on-site and hybrid working is steadily on the return. I know that if I take a train getting to Waverley before 9am on a weekday it's much busier than one getting in for 11am for example. Some roles also just can't be done from home, e.g. nurses, builders, cafe work, retail, etc.

Sometimes peaks are temporary, e.g. events like the Fringe/Edinburgh Festival season. Without dynamic pricing, which I would expect to be unpopular, there's not a great deal to manage that though!
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,480
Location
London
The TOCs have been steadily extending the definition of peak hours travel in order to take more money off their customers. Let's go back to the days when a ticket was a ticket without complicating the issue. It would also stop a lot of prosecutions (or exploitative settlements) for honest mistakes. Scotland has shown the way, although retaining such restrictions with their rover tickets.
Traditionally, in the former Network SouthEast area, there were two basic restrictions for Cheap Day Returns and Off-Peak Day Travelcards:
  • B1: Not valid on trains scheduled to depart before 0930 Mondays to Fridays (valid at any time at weekends and on public holidays.)
  • C4: Not valid on trains scheduled to arrive at London Terminals or Kensington Olympia before 1000 Mondays to Fridays (valid at any time at weekends and on public holidays.)
In both cases, there was a list of easements allowing earlier travel where frequencies warranted it.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
Traditionally, in the former Network SouthEast area, there were two basic restrictions for Cheap Day Returns and Off-Peak Day Travelcards:
  • B1: Not valid on trains scheduled to depart before 0930 Mondays to Fridays (valid at any time at weekends and on public holidays.)
  • C4: Not valid on trains scheduled to arrive at London Terminals or Kensington Olympia before 1000 Mondays to Fridays (valid at any time at weekends and on public holidays.)
In both cases, there was a list of easements allowing earlier travel where frequencies warranted it.
In my case, a train leaves my local station at 08.59. Some destinations get an off peak fare, some don't, when I'm booking on line. Even with the former I worry about whether I'll get charged with fare evasion once I get on the train.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
In my case, a train leaves my local station at 08.59. Some destinations get an off peak fare, some don't, when I'm booking on line. Even with the former I worry about whether I'll get charged with fare evasion once I get on the train.
Be careful what you wish for because simplification almost always results in fares increasing.

Perhaps the restrictions from your local station should be changed to 'Not valid before 09:30' Maybe an afternoon peak restriction between 16:00 and 19:00 could be added for further simplification.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,176
Location
Reading
Be careful what you wish for because simplification almost always results in fares increasing.

Perhaps the restrictions from your local station should be changed to 'Not valid before 09:30' Maybe an afternoon peak restriction between 16:00 and 19:00 could be added for further simplification.

GWR's loose interpretation of 0600-0900 and 1600-1900 has vexed me for a while. GWR just love to push the peak / off peak limits! 1900, 1904 and 1906 are all peak services now, I believe :rolleyes:

As an aside though, fair play to Avanti ditching the Friday peak times (both ways). Credit where credit's due. Spread the load!
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,093
Judging by how full Sowerby Bridge car park and surrounding streets have again become, as opposed to two or three years ago, there has been a return to office working and peak time travel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top