EbbwJunction1
Established Member
I'm not sure you've quite grasped the point I was making.
I obviously haven't ... can you say what the point was, please?
Thank you.
I'm not sure you've quite grasped the point I was making.
Yes, in the same way that you would expect staff at a TOC to be paid. But would you expect the steward(s) and gate staff at Dulwich Hamlet to be paid?Would you expect Manchester United stewards to be paid? Of course.
I don't know or particularly care. There's little point directing that question at me; I have literally no interest in football whatsoever. Perhaps whoever started waffling on with a rubbish analogy about football could answer?
Like me you have no interest in football.
I was using the Fans as an example of a group of people who go every week to enjoy their pastime (or not) just like Railway volunteers do.
Volunteers pay their own way to get to the railway and also Food, Drink and any clothing.
Football fans pay out for Food, Drink and maybe overpriced Tee shirts.
So Fans and Volunteers both pay out for what they want to do.
Would Football fans expect to be able to claim expenses?
Doubt it but may want a Ticket price reduction.
Should either group be able to claim back expenses? NO
My comparison was on that basis only. I did not mention Stewards or similar as these are employed by the club.
Would you expect Manchester United stewards to be paid? Of course.
My comparison was on that basis only. I did not mention Stewards or similar as these are employed by the club.

Most, if not all, heritage railways have free accommodation for volunteers, offer free travel and discounts on food and beverages. The ID cards offer discounts on other railways (not all though) as well. They are not profit making operations, any money they make is used to preserve and improve their locomotives, stock and premises. If they had to pay expenses for volunteers to travel there then they could not do so, so they would simply have to stop doing a lot of what they do and only accept local volunteers. Simples.
NYMR Vision 2012 said:The NYMR is financially viable only because its volunteers supplement the work of staff and undertake every type of work from driving the trains to manning the shops. Their recompense is both the satisfaction gained from helping make the railway work and the friendly social opportunities that the railway engenders. Volunteers are a stalwart breed who put up with very poor working conditions and accommodation. But more could be attracted if we could offer better accommodation – treating them well and thanking them for the contribution they make. Both they and the paid staff have to be trained to meet the needs of the job and our workshops, in particular, want to train more apprentices in the fast-disappearing skills of railway vehicle maintenance. Feedback from volunteer and staff surveys helps set an agenda
for the improvements we need to make.
Having put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into our railway, the lack of a cheap dinner is neither here nor there really. My own culinary efforts are far better anyway! I do it because I very much enjoy it and because I know that the railway - as with others - couldn't function without its volunteers. I don't think that many serious volunteers are put off by the expectation that volunteers pay their own way within reason.One friend of mine asked me "Do they pay for you to get there and provide you with a uniform?", I said "No", then I was asked "Do they give you your dinner?" I said "No", I was asked "Well what do they do for you?", I said "You get discounts on some snacks and drinks in the station shop, free tea and coffee" then they said "That is still disgusting"
I said "If they did, we will end up with no railway" then I said "Why don't you visit the railway and travel on it or make a monthly donation and encourage your friends and family do the same"
One of my current managers openly said something to the effect of "that's terrible that they won't pay you for your time" and "it shouldn't be allowed" when I had my job interview. I started volunteering whilst unemployed (and still expected to be so by now) so I had something to do with myself come the end of cricket season, and some safety critical experience. His comments pretty much summed up the reactions I get when I tell people that I work on the ELR for free.
I honestly don't care that i'm not paid to volunteer, after all i'm doing it for experience and to get myself out of the house. My only real grumble is the previously mentioned parking expenses, everything else i'm not bothered about.
so I would rather see discounts being given by transport companies to those that are travelling to volunteer rather than the societies themselves funding us.
is the pleasure and experience gained, not priceless enough?
Actually that first paragraph demonstrates not why such a volunteer would want recompense, but rather why such a reason for volunteering might lead to paying to do so. So the converse argument to that initially proposed. If you want to make your CV look good then there is absolutely no reason for the railway to give you anything, you want them, so you volunteer and accept any costs as it is for your personal gain.It is an interesting thread. I get the impression that for many people in these days when competition for genuine employment seems to be getting ever more competitive, volunteering is becoming a sort of 'national service' which is required to boost a CV. In this circumstance, it seems hardly surprising that people want some form of recompense as the volunteering may not be entirely voluntary.
I volunteer myself, but do so entirety out of my own interest in the subject, so the idea of recompense is anathema to me.
Actually that first paragraph demonstrates not why such a volunteer would want recompense, but rather why such a reason for volunteering might lead to paying to do so. So the converse argument to that initially proposed. If you want to make your CV look good then there is absolutely no reason for the railway to give you anything, you want them, so you volunteer and accept any costs as it is for your personal gain.