ChiefPlanner
Established Member
One Xmas Eve had an over carried , well sedated gent - with dog - who ended up n ECS in Watford Yard from Camden Road. He should have been spotted - however there were no handy return workings for 48 hours....
A) Pax in possession of a valid ticket and just overslept / drunk etc, will be escorted to the gate and the station will arrange for a taxi to collect.
B) Not in possession of a valid ticket to travel, will be escorted to the front gate to make their own way or depending on the situation to be met by BTP!
I'm sure there's a reasonable possibility of that happening at Basingstoke (although I'm not sure if it has happened before). Quite often the stopping train from Waterloo arrives on platform 1, stops there for a minute or two to let everyone off and then moves into a siding up the line to make way for a CrossCountry service to use that platform before moving back to that platform once that XC train has gone, so that it can form the next stopping train back to Waterloo. If they didn't check properly and someone stayed on the train too long or if someone got on when it arrived thinking it was going to stay there before going back and no one noticed them get on, then someone could end up on it to the siding.Certainly happens from time to time. Not just going into depots either, in my experience it's more likely that they end up on an ECS move between two stations, or even one which goes station 1 - siding - station 1
I accidentally did the Kennington Loop once. I wasn't the first and I probably won't be the last.
Judging by the number of YouTube videos I'm definitely not alone.
I know someone that went to sleep on a late train going to Baden (the Swiss town where I live) who would have ended up back in Zürich Altstetten if it hadn't been for a couple of girls banging on the window when they saw him sparked out on the bottom deck.
Has there ever been an incident where a passenger has accidently stayed on a train and ended up at a depot?
The worst one's for despatching ECS with passengers on is Woking, had it happen to me 3 times so far.
There was a thread on this website, I think, about three years ago, based on a newspaper report about a young woman who ended up in sidings at Enfield Town or Chingford. She admitted she'd had a few drinks before she got on the train. She didn't wake till quite well into the night and stayed on the train till it re-entered service the next day.
There was a thread on this website, I think, about three years ago, based on a newspaper report about a young woman who ended up in sidings at Enfield Town or Chingford. She admitted she'd had a few drinks before she got on the train. She didn't wake till quite well into the night and stayed on the train till it re-entered service the next day.
I accidentally did the Kennington Loop once. I wasn't the first and I probably won't be the last.
An interesting tale of someone being taken to the depot could be read from my control logs last week. Had to wait ages for someone to drive the train out to the nearest station to drop him off.
I'd highly doubt it.HMS Ark Royal:2451995 said:An interesting tale of someone being taken to the depot could be read from my control logs last week. Had to wait ages for someone to drive the train out to the nearest station to drop him off.
Interesting!
For the main line trains that have to go back to the station from a depot, would it be entered into the "system" and appear on RTT?
Interesting!
For the main line trains that have to go back to the station from a depot, would it be entered into the "system" and appear on RTT?
Fell asleep, station staff didn't check the train and woke up in the Thameslink carriage sidings at Bedford on one occasion. Fortunately the driver walked through the train and opened the door for me to jump down on to the tracks and walk back to the station.

I've done more or less the inverse - or the reverse. (Off topic, I suppose).
One Friday night, I suppose it was 1975, I'd arrived late into Paddington, and missed the last inter-city express out of St Pancras. (I'd guess it was about 21.00 in those days. Maybe there was a later one, but it would still have left me adrift in the middle of the night) Whatever, I decided the best bet was to head up to Cricklewood carriage shed. Found the foreman, explained the situation (I was a BR employee) and asked if he'd tell me what would form the 06.50 from St Pancras so I could kip in the stock. Which he, in the normal comradely way, happily did.
I think I woke up under the Barlow train shed, not noticing the ECS ride in - before wending our way north behind a Cl 45.
Don't think that would be an easy one to do these days, at least from what I read on here.