• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers carrying LPG bottles on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Earlier today I was talking to someone about LPG bottles and how they were going to drive to pick them up as they joked they couldn't take them on the train. I said that was the best idea but I didn't know if it was actually banned.

Anyway I checked they conditions of carriage and the only thing I can see that it would come under is "Dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives" which are banned. I was wondering though is carrying LPG bottles allowed? I am not planning to do it I am just curious.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Committee man

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2014
Messages
28
Earlier today I was talking to someone about LPG bottles and how they were going to drive to pick them up as they joked they couldn't take them on the train. I said that was the best idea but I didn't know if it was actually banned.

Anyway I checked they conditions of carriage and the only thing I can see that it would come under is "Dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives" which are banned. I was wondering though is carrying LPG bottles allowed? I am not planning to do it I am just curious.
As LPG is, I think, an 'inflammable liquid' I assume it is indeed banned.
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
I presume there's some kind of volume or weight limit?

I mean: you're allowed to carry a lighter with either gas or petrol inside aren't you? Or a bottle of whisky or a can of deodorant? But a big calor gas cylinder probably not!
 

sw1ller

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
1,567
I presume there's some kind of volume or weight limit?

I mean: you're allowed to carry a lighter with either gas or petrol inside aren't you? Or a bottle of whisky or a can of deodorant? But a big calor gas cylinder probably not!
I can only comment from my days as a dangerous goods driver by road, but assume it carries over to rail. But yes, the size of the package/receptacle does indeed make a difference. Bleach, for Instance, can be transported in bottles for the supermarket up to the max weight of the lorry (over all 44t for example) with no extra training for the driver under “limited quantities” rules. But if they took the same amount of bleach in a tanker, they’d need a full ADR (dangerous goods) licence. Same with caravans. Anyone can take a gas canister anywhere on their holidays, but the same amount of gas in a tanker……. You get the idea.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
....Anyway I checked they conditions of carriage and the only thing I can see that it would come under is "Dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives" which are banned. I was wondering though is carrying LPG bottles allowed? I am not planning to do it I am just curious.
Since the 1970s the preferred terms in fire safety (and in some legislation) have been "Flammable" and "Non-flammable" since it had been found that some people thought 'inflammable' meant 'non-flammable' with sometimes fatal consequences! Seems someone hasn't mentioned this to whoever writes the Conditions of Carriage.
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
Since the 1970s the preferred terms in fire safety (and in some legislation) have been "Flammable" and "Non-flammable" since it had been found that some people thought 'inflammable' meant 'non-flammable' with sometimes fatal consequences! Seems someone hasn't mentioned this to whoever writes the Conditions of Carriage.
And French "flammable" means "inflammable" in English.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I can only comment from my days as a dangerous goods driver by road, but assume it carries over to rail. But yes, the size of the package/receptacle does indeed make a difference. Bleach, for Instance, can be transported in bottles for the supermarket up to the max weight of the lorry (over all 44t for example) with no extra training for the driver under “limited quantities” rules. But if they took the same amount of bleach in a tanker, they’d need a full ADR (dangerous goods) licence. Same with caravans. Anyone can take a gas canister anywhere on their holidays, but the same amount of gas in a tanker……. You get the idea.

And lots of hikers/campers will carry those small screw on canisters for stoves etc with nobody the wiser, though in practice the risk they pose is no different from a can of hairspray.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,454
Location
Stevenage
And lots of hikers/campers will carry those small screw on canisters for stoves etc with nobody the wiser, though in practice the risk they pose is no different from a can of hairspray.
When HSTs were new, a group of us went to Wales for a backpacking trip. The guard did point out that the paraffin we had for Primus stoves was not allowed, but that he would not be making a issue of it.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Anyone can take a gas canister anywhere on their holidays,
We have 2 dumpy bottles in our camper. We do have a warning sticker on the van and the gas locker but they are, I understand, NOT required.
And lots of hikers/campers will carry those small screw on canisters for stoves etc with nobody the wiser, though in practice the risk they pose is no different from a can of hairspray.
I have taken one of those on the train in the past. No issue. However I don't think I would be allowed to cart one of the dumpy bottles (3.9kg) from the van on board and sit it on a table!
 
Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
And lots of hikers/campers will carry those small screw on canisters for stoves etc with nobody the wiser, though in practice the risk they pose is no different from a can of hairspray.
Never mind just taking them on the train. I've seen them in use on the table of West Highland services back in the 80s.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
As one who has been in the Oil and Gas Industry for 51 years, I can categorically state that no container of LPG, LNG, in any form is allowed inside a building, including the lab for testing where it is placed in a properly ventilated fume cupboard for testing purposes. These days sampling and testing of gases is done by automatic analysers within oil and gas plant, the only persons allowed into the analyser houses are the calibration testers, and that under strict confined space regulations.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
As one who has been in the Oil and Gas Industry for 51 years, I can categorically state that no container of LPG, LNG, in any form is allowed inside a building

Categorically incorrect, you mean. There are for example butane heaters which have the cylinder on the back still on sale and widespread use. Though if you are in Papua New Guinea as your profile says, the law may differ from the UK.

I think what you are saying is that the operating procedure derived from the risk assessment of your company prohibited this. Others may however disagree.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
Since the 1970s the preferred terms in fire safety (and in some legislation) have been "Flammable" and "Non-flammable" since it had been found that some people thought 'inflammable' meant 'non-flammable' with sometimes fatal consequences! Seems someone hasn't mentioned this to whoever writes the Conditions of Carriage.
Conditions of Travel has been the correct term for several years as well
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
So does English 'flammable' to be fair

Indeed. They have slightly different meanings in English - "flammable" means "can burn", whereas "inflammable" means "can catch fire" (inflam -> catching fire), but in reality there's no practical difference and so "inflammable" is best avoided because the "in" prefix often means "not" and that could be a very dangerous piece of confusion indeed.
 

nlt

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2019
Messages
78
When I did InterRail many years ago I had a small camping gaz stove in my backpack. During a long border crossing stop into one of the Communist bloc countries it leaked. I always thought that if somebody had lit a fag it might have blown the train up! Luckily nobody did but the border guards gave me a curious look.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
And lots of hikers/campers will carry those small screw on canisters for stoves etc with nobody the wiser, though in practice the risk they pose is no different from a can of hairspray.
True story - someone at my works left a can of deoderent or similar on a radiatior, and overnight it heated so much it caught fire (presumably exploded) and burned the room down. Perhaps the sprinklers saved the whole building, but still a mess to turn up to work to!

So yes, dangers lurk everywhere. But in reality, what are the chances of a gas canister (say campingaz) on a train exploding? Although of course the pax with it could simply turn it on and put a light to it, and create havoc. So like an aircraft, best not to have them on board! Does raise the issue of genuine campers using the train to go camping with their equipment - could a guard "store" such goods in their cab? But with all a camper's parafanalia, would anyone know there are a couple of gas cannisters in there? Whom would have the power to search?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
So yes, dangers lurk everywhere. But in reality, what are the chances of a gas canister (say campingaz) on a train exploding? Although of course the pax with it could simply turn it on and put a light to it, and create havoc. So like an aircraft, best not to have them on board! Does raise the issue of genuine campers using the train to go camping with their equipment - could a guard "store" such goods in their cab? But with all a camper's parafanalia, would anyone know there are a couple of gas cannisters in there? Whom would have the power to search?

Has there ever been an issue on a UK train caused by these? I suspect not. If indeed not, there is no need to do anything about them.

It's not like an aircraft because of one major difference - if there is a fire on a train, it can be stopped and everyone can get off.

You can put a light to a can of hairspray too. Best ban those? :)
 

GC class B1

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2021
Messages
460
Location
East midlands
While bit off topic, a colleague and myself visited an MOD site where explosives were stored. We arrived by car and wer told we couldn’t take torches or sandwiches with us to the stored railway vehicles. When I questioned whether it was ok to drive our car to the stored vehicles as it had petrol in it, we were told this was ok.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Historically, there were plenty of trains using gas for lighting (and cooking) which led to several railway accidents turning into fires. Quintinshill is one of the more prominent examples.

Indeed, but has a small portable cylinder intended for use on a camping stove ever caused an issue? It's a totally different game from large cylinders with piping around wooden-bodied rolling stock. They pose the same risk as an aerosol can which usually use butane as the propellant and contain a similar amount under a similar pressure. If a ban was to be enforced, a ban should be enforced on all aerosols including your hairspray in your shopping.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
Indeed, but has a small portable cylinder intended for use on a camping stove ever caused an issue? It's a totally different game from large cylinders with piping around wooden-bodied rolling stock. They pose the same risk as an aerosol can which usually use butane as the propellant and contain a similar amount under a similar pressure. If a ban was to be enforced, a ban should be enforced on all aerosols including your hairspray in your shopping.
I can't speak to that, but that's the nearest example I can think of (which also serves to explain why such a rule has existed).
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,454
Location
Stevenage
While bit off topic, a colleague and myself visited an MOD site where explosives were stored. We arrived by car and wer told we couldn’t take torches or sandwiches with us to the stored railway vehicles. When I questioned whether it was ok to drive our car to the stored vehicles as it had petrol in it, we were told this was ok.
Curious. Some places where there is an explosion hazard used to (may still do) prohibit petrol vehicles as they, by design, include a high voltage spark generator.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
While bit off topic, a colleague and myself visited an MOD site where explosives were stored. We arrived by car and were told we couldn’t take torches or sandwiches with us to the stored railway vehicles. When I questioned whether it was ok to drive our car to the stored vehicles as it had petrol in it, we were told this was ok.
Why were the sandwiches a risk? I cannot think of any potential igniting sources in a sandwich?
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
Categorically incorrect, you mean. There are for example butane heaters which have the cylinder on the back still on sale and widespread use. Though if you are in Papua New Guinea as your profile says, the law may differ from the UK.

I think what you are saying is that the operating procedure derived from the risk assessment of your company prohibited this. Others may however disagree.
Since I started in the Industry 51/52 years ago on the 24th August 1970, and having worked in 14 different nations including PNG where I am now it has always been the rule that no container of gas is allowed in buildings except to those used for the sampling and testing of the gases. These building are specifically designed for the handling of the gases. It includes LPG amongst them. It is a world wide practice, standard throughout the world, including here in Papua New Guinea it's not just one oil company that prohibits gases in buildings but all.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,740
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Since I started in the Industry 51/52 years ago on the 24th August 1970, and having worked in 14 different nations including PNG where I am now it has always been the rule that no container of gas is allowed in buildings except to those used for the sampling and testing of the gases. These building are specifically designed for the handling of the gases. It includes LPG amongst them. It is a world wide practice, standard throughout the world, including here in Papua New Guinea it's not just one oil company that prohibits gases in buildings but all.

So these:


...don't exist, then?
 

cornishjohn

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2011
Messages
169
They pose the same risk as an aerosol can which usually use butane as the propellant and contain a similar amount under a similar pressure. If a ban was to be enforced, a ban should be enforced on all aerosols including your hairspray in your shopping.
Which is why some aerosols are moving to an inert propellant.

So these:

...don't exist, then?
I often see portable gas stoves on sale inside buildings in supermarkets too.

Since I started in the Industry 51/52 years ago on the 24th August 1970, and having worked in 14 different nations including PNG where I am now it has always been the rule that no container of gas is allowed in buildings except to those used for the sampling and testing of the gases. These building are specifically designed for the handling of the gases. It includes LPG amongst them. It is a world wide practice, standard throughout the world, including here in Papua New Guinea it's not just one oil company that prohibits gases in buildings but all.
I am inclined to believe this is an industry regulation rather than a universal regulation. I was once on a job where we couldn't transport and use nail varnish remover (acetone) as it was too "dangerous".

While bit off topic, a colleague and myself visited an MOD site where explosives were stored. We arrived by car and wer told we couldn’t take torches or sandwiches with us to the stored railway vehicles. When I questioned whether it was ok to drive our car to the stored vehicles as it had petrol in it, we were told this was ok.
Curious. Some places where there is an explosion hazard used to (may still do) prohibit petrol vehicles as they, by design, include a high voltage spark generator.
Although the actual cause of ignition was never proved, does anybody else remember Buncefield? My dad worked in the oil industry, and was of the opinion that petrol in general was more dangerous than gunpowder. But too convenient to use, to regulate stringently, because we all wanted to have it in our cars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top