• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster validators at Elstree & Borehamwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,892
Can someone tell me where the validators are at Elstree please? If I combine PAYG with a return from Elstree-St Albans is there time to jump off, touch out (in on return journey) and get back on the same train or not?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,507
Location
DTOS A or B
Can someone tell me where the validators are at Elstree please? If I combine PAYG with a return from Elstree-St Albans is there time to jump off, touch out (in on return journey) and get back on the same train or not?

No chance of the same train home, from what I've seen there are none on the island platform so must be on the gate line.
 

revenueadvice

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2012
Messages
74
On the gateline unless the station building is closed in which case there is a side gate with oyster validators just outside.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Can someone tell me where the validators are at Elstree please?
If I combine PAYG with a return from Elstree-St Albans is there time to jump off, touch out (in on return journey) and get back on the same train or not?
Heading North then. I don't think so. I can't think of any reason why there would be a validator on Platform 2 (other than to allow people to do what you want to do, of course!).

When I went there, there was a validator at the side exit by platform 1, so if you said you were heading South, then it would be possible (if you got the right door position - it sounds like the door position may vary depending on whether or not the ticket office is open though).

But heading North, I think there's no chance.

Station plan: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_ELS/plan.html
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,892
Thanks for the responses. PAYG (or a paper travelcard) coupled with a return from Elstree-St Albans is the easiest option as I'll be departing from Carshalton but returning to East Croydon. Paper travelcard means I don't need to get off en route to swipe in/out of course. Actually is there a boundary zone 6-St albans ticket and would that be cheaper than a return from Elstree?

Also once at St Albans how much time should I allow to transfer between the station and the Alban Arena?
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,779
Location
St Albans
.......

Also once at St Albans how much time should I allow to transfer between the station and the Alban Arena?

There are numerous buses between the station and St Peters Street, which the Alban Arena is just off from. If you want to walk then it's approximately a mile with some downhill and uphill work. Turn left out of the station building on Platform 1 and left again into Hatfield Road. Cross over the railway and carry on past Beaconsfield Road and Upper Lattimore Road. Cross over Upper Marlborough Road and turn down it and immediately right into Bricket Road. Bear right and immediately left alongside the two-storey carpark. This brings you to the Arena - turn right and walk up the side of the building then left to get to the front entrance. If you get directed along Victoria Street you will find this is slightly longer and more hilly!
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Most Thameslink services between St Albans and East Croydon run fast between St Albans and St Pancras, so you would be better off with the paper Travelcard + BZ6-St Albans option.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top