• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out of court settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,850
I would expect that a video of you putting the letter through their letterbox would be just as good proof of delivery as whatever royal mail provide. Probably not better in any way though so unless it's easier/cheaper tracked delivery is more conventional.

If the address has a publicly accessible letterbox
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,392
Thanks, I just posted it. I will update you all when I hear back. Sent is first class so hopefully early next week
I would not anticipate a speedy reply necessarily

here is an example from last year that I noted:

- the person (OP) was stopped on or around 1 Nov 2024
- The OP got the letter from GTR / Thameslink on 21 Jan 2025
- The OP replied to that letter around 24 Jan 2025
- The OP was offered an Out of Court settlement and paid it on 12 March

 

bhzs_1234

Member
Joined
31 May 2025
Messages
15
Location
three bridges
I still haven't heard anything. I appreciate it has only been a week but I'm cautious that I don't want my 14 days to expire and then not see my response.

I have kept my proof of sending the letter and my reference is on the letter like 3 times, should I call them to chase or just wait?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,392
I still haven't heard anything. I appreciate it has only been a week but I'm cautious that I don't want my 14 days to expire and then not see my response.

I have kept my proof of sending the letter and my reference is on the letter like 3 times, should I call them to chase or just wait?
Your 14 days to respond to them is no measure of how long they might then take you get back to you. So long as you have proof of delivery of your response to them I don't think you should be unduly concerned.

But proof of you sending the letter is not proof of delivery. Did you use tracked postage that shows delivery - or did you just get a Certificate of Posting? These are different things. can you clarify.
 

bhzs_1234

Member
Joined
31 May 2025
Messages
15
Location
three bridges
Thanks everyone @WesternLancer @blimmo @Hadders @SuspectUsual and others.

I received an email yesterday stating that they want to offer me a settlement and I should reply if I accept. After sending that email, they sent me an excel with a list of my fares that were purchased incorrectly which I went through and it was correct.

They then offered the settlement if I paid all outstanding fares (minus the difference I already paid), plus a £250 admin fee that I paid.

Case is now closed. Thanks all for your help and I hope this thread helps others in a similar situation:)

And from now on.... I'll pay the correct fare!!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,392
Thanks everyone @WesternLancer @blimmo @Hadders @SuspectUsual and others.

I received an email yesterday stating that they want to offer me a settlement and I should reply if I accept. After sending that email, they sent me an excel with a list of my fares that were purchased incorrectly which I went through and it was correct.

They then offered the settlement if I paid all outstanding fares (minus the difference I already paid), plus a £250 admin fee that I paid.

Case is now closed. Thanks all for your help and I hope this thread helps others in a similar situation:)

And from now on.... I'll pay the correct fare!!
Thanks for this. So they allowed for what you had already paid?
I can’t recall if that’s usual for Thameslink or not.
 

bhzs_1234

Member
Joined
31 May 2025
Messages
15
Location
three bridges
Thanks for this. So they allowed for what you had already paid?
I can’t recall if that’s usual for Thameslink or not.
Yes, the total fine was around £3k but they discounted the fares by £800 because that's what I already paid.

When you include the £250 admin fee, I paid around £2.5k.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,392
Yes, the total fine was around £3k but they discounted the fares by £800 because that's what I already paid.

When you include the £250 admin fee, I paid around £2.5k.
Thanks for setting this out. Appreciate the info.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top