northwichcat
Veteran Member
What law do you say TfL is breaking?
Signs have been put up at stations explaining the Wi-Fi data collection that is taking place and how to opt-out.
As I stated the law requires consent to collect data. You were implying TfL has an accurate record of who travels which way through WiFi data. I was disputing that, as there's no feasible legal way of collecting that. You only collect the data from some passengers, and the collection sample may not be representative of all passengers. For example, would someone without a phone be more or less likely to take an alternative route due to the TfL website saying there are delays on one specific route?
However, if you would like to opt-out, you can do this by turning off Wi-Fi on your device, turning your device off or putting your device into airplane mode while at our stations.
I don't walk around with WiFi turned on when I'm not connected to a network and not trying to connect. That just results in the battery running down quicker. Therefore, you have no record of my journeys other than by where I tapped in and out. I'm not exercising any right to opt out as the result of signage, I'm choosing not to opt in by leaving it turned off.