• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Operational incident" between Barnham and Havant 03/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellbell

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
245
One can turn this on its head and ask you why you and others are so defensive and unwilling about giving out a more meaningful reason for a delay? That's what confuses me.

Also, incidents on the railway can have knock on implications to services that last for many hours.

Some examples of why people are reluctant to give information have been given on this thread.

To reiterate, I do believe we should give people information where possible but it really isn't always as simple as some posters here seem to believe. The number of times I've seen passengers scoffing about 'catering is not available due to a shortage of drivers' or 'this train is cancelled due to X' when X happened hours earlier. I'm quite sure staff can see how both happen but passengers seemed to see both of these as the TOC making excuses because it's not immediately apparent to them how that can be the case. It's not desirable, but it is easy to see why people get fed up of telling the truth only to end up engaged in an argument over how that can possibly be the case.

I favour being truthful about suicides, level crossing incidents, flooding, wires down etc.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
We must be looking at different reports then. Mine definitely has more to it than the SPAD, which was also part of the reason for the extended delay.

I suspect we are looking at the same reports and drawing different things from them. Certainly more to it than the SPAD, sure, but as far as I can see the signalling equipment itself worked fine, with the appropriate mitigations kicking in.

Undoubtedly true.

The issue is the pre-approved industry delay reasons.

"Pre-approved industry reasons" don't apply to all the information a TOC ever gives out. Usually they are in place to allow quicker selection of information for automated systems. There are certainly no scripted announcements onboard Southern services, for example (there have been guidance materials given to crew over the years, but nothing mandatory).

In my experience of working on platforms and dealing with disruption, the vast majority (if not all) people care more about when their train will turn up than the exact reason why it's delayed.

I've never had anyone press for more information when told that it's due to a train fault / operational incident / points failure. The fact that point 632B has no detection in reverse is absolutely no interest to the general public.

It would appear Southern passengers are rather different from everyone else's, then!

The biggest question I ever hear is "why?", albeit closely followed by "how much longer then?". Except on a few lines of route where they can have a pretty good stab at how long a delay will be as soon as you say "bus" or "terminate short"!

To my layperson ears, they are subtly different. Operational incident is hiding behind vagueness. Railway staff know it is really a euphemism for a SPAD or SPAR, but passengers probably won't. As I said, it's very close to the excuses London Midland use when they've screwed up.

It may be hiding behind vagueness, but as has already been posted, that vagueness can cover a multitude of sins. Often the sequence of events can be so complicated to explain that even a more diverse range of stock phrases on the automatic announcements wouldn't accurately cover anything anyway.

But I would suggest that it is different to passengers. For most passengers, even those interested in railway working (including me before I read this thread) "operational incident" conveys nothing - it might mean train fault, signalling fault, track fault, crew illness, crew absence, passenger taken ill, passengers being removed by BTP, suicide, or almost anything else.

To be fair, most of those other reasons are adequately covered by existing terminology.

And because it means nothing to passengers, it can sound like "we're not going to tell you what really happened", even when that isn't the case.

Arrrgh! "Operating Incident" is one of the most annoying things to see a delay attributed to. It's condescending and deliberately obscure. It means nothing. It means "we're not telling you". I understand that might not be what it means internally, but that's what it means to the passenger.

"This train is delayed due to an operating incident"
"This train is delayed because something happened"

You wouldn't accept the latter, why should we accept the former? The two are the same to me.

And no, of course us passengers don't need and shouldn't be expected to understand every minute detail of rail operations. We don't need to know if the driver f***ed up, or the signaller, or if something just broke. BUT a little single line of explanation as to why we're being delayed sure can help calm us - or tell us where to direct our frustrations.

Where to direct our frustations? I feel like I should explain that one. I've seen numerous times people ranting and raving at TOCs on Twitter about their delay only to be told that the problem is with the infrastructure, which is not our responsibility, it's NR's. The enlightened traveller will understand the difference. The "operating incident" hides even this level of attribution.

Agreed. Passengers are very quick to spot when they are not being told something.

I was working trains yesterday where the trains around it were affected by the incident under discussion. I said to passengers that the issue was due to 'signalling issues between Chichester and Havant'. Since most people that were affected were only delayed by about 10 mins, no one said anything to me.

It sounds like you were in the ideal position in which to make brief announcements which only needed to quickly mention the issues, as they were of limited consequence.

It would have been much harder to keep information coming out of the PA of the train involved in the incident, or if you were stuck immediately behind (as I can attest from personal experience!).

There was also an issue on another train up in London that started as 'train fault', but then led to 'disruptive passengers' and then 'police called'. This was at Selhurst.

Do you know if the 'train fault' was a real (and seperate) issue? Or was it an early mis-reporting of the 'disruptive passengers'?

I don't know, but the train did end up terminating at Selhurst and headed straight into the depot.

Repetitive door fault on one train + another with disruptive passengers, so I am told!

And yet I still think that the average passenger neither wants to know what has happened, or really cares, they just want to get to/from home/work. Forum users and enthusiasts on the other hand......

Look, I'm really not so sure. I always hear the most praise for detail of commentary on what's going on, not estimating people's delays getting home. They just get depressed by the latter.

Can be annoying, plus seems to be loads of kids hanging about on bikes as well. We had to slow some services passing Horley yesterday when a group of them were biking and sakteboarding on the island platform.

Only a few trains, luckily. Could have been much worse for all involved!

Yes. It affords passengers a degree of respect, which in turn may well be reflected back onto the railway.

Agreed.

Is there not normally a fine (but they can't use the word fine so they call it a penalty) displayed?

Not on a lot of the more modern stock and/or alarm labels, from what I can see.
 

BTU

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2016
Messages
257
I will accept my train being cancelled due to "A shortage of crew" for argument's sake, but not "an operational incident", which they've used to cover up a no driver incident before. It's just unnecessarily obtuse.
Why would an operational incident not be accepable to you? Do you know or have a list of what constitutes an operational incident? What if someone involved in that incident was affected by it? Should they just carry on regardless just to please you? Or maybe you are so perfect that you never make mistakes, you seem to have a sinical point of view that comes from your ignorance of anything railway related.
 

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
927
I think part of the issue is that other transport operators, particularly bus companies, use "operational difficulties" as a catch all for anything from vehicle failure, staff absence, rostering cockup etc. You hear it so often it sounds like you're being fobbed off.

Something just a little less generic, like "an incident which is being investigated" both sounds less like a generic fobbing off and helps to manage expectations by implying that the job could be stopped for a while.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,030
Why would an operational incident not be acceptable to you? Do you know or have a list of what constitutes an operational incident?

But that's exactly the point. As I and many others have said, passengers do not have access to such a list, and so to passengers, unlike to staff, "operational incident" is heard as a generic meaningless excuse rather than real information as to why their journey is being delayed.
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,600
Rather a lot of emotional melodrama and hyperbole in this thread.

Surely what this is all about is giving passengers sufficient information that they have an idea of the likely magnitude of the delay, so they can inform anyone who is expecting them at the other end of their journey. No-one is advocating personally identifying any staff to the passengers who have made a mistake, so I have no idea where that strawman came from. If the delay length is unknown then that is fine, just say so. What's the problem? I have had delays announced ranging from "we've been held at a red signal" which translates into a short delay of a few minutes, to "person hit by train", which means we will be here a while, or will be advised to take another route.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,487
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Rather a lot of emotional melodrama and hyperbole in this thread.

Surely what this is all about is giving passengers sufficient information that they have an idea of the likely magnitude of the delay, so they can inform anyone who is expecting them at the other end of their journey. No-one is advocating personally identifying any staff to the passengers who have made a mistake, so I have no idea where that strawman came from. If the delay length is unknown then that is fine, just say so. What's the problem? I have had delays announced ranging from "we've been held at a red signal" which translates into a short delay of a few minutes, to "person hit by train", which means we will be here a while, or will be advised to take another route.

This about says it. Aggressive defensiveness is unhelpful, especially where it is so unwarranted.
 

SA_900

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2016
Messages
158
If it was a "police incident" either on the railway or public streets would you be badgering the police for a reason on whats going on?

I accept human curiosity plays a part but I stand by what others have said in that specific information is not generally required.

Yes of course I would. Police have in the past caused a great deal of unnecessary disruption on the network.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Rather a lot of emotional melodrama and hyperbole in this thread.

Surely what this is all about is giving passengers sufficient information that they have an idea of the likely magnitude of the delay, so they can inform anyone who is expecting them at the other end of their journey. No-one is advocating personally identifying any staff to the passengers who have made a mistake, so I have no idea where that strawman came from. If the delay length is unknown then that is fine, just say so. What's the problem? I have had delays announced ranging from "we've been held at a red signal" which translates into a short delay of a few minutes, to "person hit by train", which means we will be here a while, or will be advised to take another route.

As I have said all along, most passengers don't really care why it is delayed, they want to know how long they will be delayed for. When my train was involved in something last week, the question most asked was how long, not why.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,581
Location
LBK

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
So why do people continue to state, in surveys, the following?

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2748330&postcount=138

passengers want to know immediately how long they will be delayed for and exactly what has caused the delay.

As has been pointed out many many many times that often isnt possible. I also think you and others overlook the fluid nature of many of these incidents and how information flows and changes. It often isnt clear what the problem is and as more data becomes available the understanding changes. I pointed out above what this can lead to. I know you wont accept that but it is a reflection of reality.

I also think that many passengers lack the tools to sensibly process & understand/decode the information given and may react in an adverse fashion to certain aspects of that news.

Personally, I don't really care why I am delayed. I just want to get home.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,581
Location
LBK
passengers want to know immediately how long they will be delayed for and exactly what has caused the delay.

As has been pointed out many many many times that often isnt possible. I also think you and others overlook the fluid nature of many of these incidents and how information flows and changes. It often isnt clear what the problem is and as more data becomes available the understanding changes. I pointed out above what this can lead to. I know you wont accept that but it is a reflection of reality.

I also think that many passengers lack the tools to sensibly process & understand/decode the information given and may react in an adverse fashion to certain aspects of that news.

Personally, I don't really care why I am delayed. I just want to get home.

All we are talking about is giving passengers a plain English reason for the delay. It is fine if this changes as more information becomes available. I've been there, within two minutes of a report of someone hit by a train, giving out that information to passengers. Then, later, it turns out the person wasn't hit by a train at all but had fallen and died from an overbridge at 2am.

Passengers do have a wish to immediately know things. We know that it is often not possible to be specific with things like ETAs or even the nature of the incident. That is the nature of the beast - if you don't know an ETA, then say so - be honest!

The only thing I, and others, are arguing for is that where an incident occurs, it should be described in plain English, as accurately as reasonably possible in accordance with the information available at the time.

Nobody has been able to address why it's okay for airlines to give details of operational incidents, but not railway companies. There really is no evidence passengers are going to panic or lose faith in the railway if you say a train went past a red light and it was therefore stopped automatically by a safety system.

The continuing trend of some rail staff arguing about things which aren't up for discussion is quite wearing, but also funny, and sad, in a surreal way.
 

BRblue

Member
Joined
13 May 2015
Messages
271
Location
Sunny Sussex...
Here's an idea for everyone that has a problem with the term "operational incident"... take it up with GTR/Southern or any other TOC.
Stop badgering rail staff on here for information which is for internal use only, and would not be viewed positively by their line manager if it was then disclosed on an open forum without prior authority.
I'm sorry if this might get some peoples knickers in a twist but internal information is exactly that... not for public consumption. If it comes down to your curiosity or my job, my job wins everytime.
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
The adverse reaction to "operational incident" arises, I think, because of the strong modern tendency to wrap unpleasant facts in soft words. There can be good reasons for that (to avoid panic, if you don't know what has happened yet), but it is often done to avoid embarrassment and that's what people hate. The railway is by no means the worst offender, but it's right to challenge these statements when they appear to be a veil for something embarrassing. I think some of the professionals on this thread over-react when the amateurs ask questions which are (hopefully) driven by wanting to understand the railway better.

End of wibble (wibble = to speak or write at great length)
 

BRblue

Member
Joined
13 May 2015
Messages
271
Location
Sunny Sussex...
The adverse reaction to "operational incident" arises, I think, because of the strong modern tendency to wrap unpleasant facts in soft words. There can be good reasons for that (to avoid panic, if you don't know what has happened yet), but it is often done to avoid embarrassment and that's what people hate. The railway is by no means the worst offender, but it's right to challenge these statements when they appear to be a veil for something embarrassing. I think some of the professionals on this thread over-react when the amateurs ask questions which are (hopefully) driven by wanting to understand the railway better.

End of wibble (wibble = to speak or write at great length)

Yes I am aware of that as are most rail staff but if you go back to the original post, it is clearly an attempt at extricating more information from the rail staff who frequent this forum. They then take umbrage because we will not disclose any more details, even though most employees T&Cs clearly state that it is a disciplinary matter should internal information be disclosed on social media.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,487
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Here's an idea for everyone that has a problem with the term "operational incident"... take it up with GTR/Southern or any other TOC.
Stop badgering rail staff on here for information which is for internal use only, and would not be viewed positively by their line manager if it was then disclosed on an open forum without prior authority.
I'm sorry if this might get some peoples knickers in a twist but internal information is exactly that... not for public consumption. If it comes down to your curiosity or my job, my job wins everytime.

I don't think anyone has suggested that operating (or any other) staff should disclose inappropriate information on this forum or anywhere else, and those who have such information have rightly declined to do so. I think the thread is about/has turned into, the information that is disclosed by TOCs/NR and whether it is detailed/accurate enough for purpose. I think almost all users here accept the limitations of what may be disclosed by those 'in the know'.

I think the original incident has long-since been buried beneath the wider discussion.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,581
Location
LBK
Yes I am aware of that as are most rail staff but if you go back to the original post, it is clearly an attempt at extricating more information from the rail staff who frequent this forum. They then take umbrage because we will not disclose any more details, even though most employees T&Cs clearly state that it is a disciplinary matter should internal information be disclosed on social media.

Indeed, that's true. Nobody should be asking staff to do anything for which they may be disciplined.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,628
Location
Isle of Man
Personally, I don't really care why I am delayed. I just want to get home.

But the two things are often very much related.

Take "safety checks of the line" as a reason. Sometimes this means that a driver has felt a bit of a wobble and everything will be good again in five minutes. Sometimes it means there's a broken rail and everything will be up the wall for five hours. Why not just say there's a broken rail? At least then I know where I stand.

It ties in with the hopelessly optimistic estimates of disruption that are normally posted on NRE. I'm sick of reading "delays of up to 30 minutes" when everything- and I mean everything- is sat on the ECML 90L.
 

SA_900

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2016
Messages
158
Don't think anyone is asking for some poor staff member to be grassed up. Not sure why this has blown up. On previous threads staff have been happy to reveal SPADs etc. Surely only determined people from the TOC would know who it is?
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Take "safety checks of the line" as a reason. Sometimes this means that a driver has felt a bit of a wobble and everything will be good again in five minutes. Sometimes it means there's a broken rail and everything will be up the wall for five hours. Why not just say there's a broken rail? At least then I know where I stand.
Because at the time that initial message comes through, they don't know. The driver felt a wobble, it needs checking - Safety Checks message goes out.
So they do the checks and find the broken rail (and that could take some time depending on where the team are that are making their way to the site) then there will be a discussion about what can be done. Can it be left until end of service? Can it be clamped and passed at low speed? Does the line need to be blocked? Then there will be a discussion with the TOC and how they can work around it and what alternative transport they may need to provide. And *then* a message with all that information can go out. And that takes time.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,487
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Don't think anyone is asking for some poor staff member to be grassed up. Not sure why this has blown up. On previous threads staff have been happy to reveal SPADs etc. Surely only determined people from the TOC would know who it is?

Essentially because a core group of people using this forum takes almost any opportunity to berate anyone not on the front line for daring to question the way things are done, having assumed that others are somehow criticising them or their colleagues personally, when they are not. It's tiresome.
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Essentially because a core group of people using this forum takes almost any opportunity to berate anyone not on the front line for daring to question the way things are done, having assumed that others are somehow criticising them or their colleagues personally, when they are not. It's tiresome.

Really? In relation to the subject on this thread there is a fine line between giving out enough information and giving out to much. I've seen people on twitter copying in the likes of the Health and Safety executive on twitter for the most ridiculous things because they have deemed that the TOC has done something wrong and they want to feel empowered. I've seen people requesting a full account of the investigation and what action has been taken against a driver. If you give out too much info you feed these people.

Before in a previous thread you perceived that drivers were being overly cautious at a station. But that was your perception and not necessarily fact.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,608
I've held off replying for a fair bit, but just want to reiterate what some other people have said. The main issue here IMO is that "operational incident", to the passenger, just sounds like they are being fobbed off. It may well actually have meaning within the industry, and that is fine, but to the passenger it really does sound no better than when information screens just show "delayed" and just sounds like the ToC just can't be bothered with communicating effectively. At the end of the day, perceptions matter more than reality sometimes. And the perception is that ToC's often fob passengers off with phrases which mean nothing in times of delays.
 
Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,487
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Really? In relation to the subject on this thread there is a fine line between giving out enough information and giving out to much. I've seen people on twitter copying in the likes of the Health and Safety executive on twitter for the most ridiculous things because they have deemed that the TOC has done something wrong and they want to feel empowered. I've seen people requesting a full account of the investigation and what action has been taken against a driver. If you give out too much info you feed these people.

Before in a previous thread you perceived that drivers were being overly cautious at a station. But that was your perception and not necessarily fact.

Indeed - and I asked for thoughts rather than assuming crew error or shortcomings. As you rightly say, "perception" requires validation, which is what I sought. The outcome was helpful and contained several responses that there is, at the very least, a large variation in driving styles, despite attempts to regulate this. That need not be a criticism but is a facet of human nature. At no point in that or other threads have I been rude, aggressive, terse or dismissive of others. There remains a group here who seem to revel in all of those qualities.

The vast majority of posts on this thread have not contained any criticism of crews (certainly not of those involved in the original incident) and those that have asked for information have been met with the correct denials. I don't perceive any frustration here with forum members who feel unable to provide details (certainly not from me) but rather a debate about what TOCs should provide, and when. However, there have been many terse or downright rude responses that have been unwarranted and unhelpful. A pattern is clearly discernible.
 
Last edited:

2HAP

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
473
Location
Hadlow
I'm sick of reading "delays of up to 30 minutes" when everything- and I mean everything- is sat on the ECML 90L.

Much the same as when you are driving on the motorway in heavy traffic and the gantry states "40 mph speed limit" when you are struggling to achieve 14 mph.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
But the two things are often very much related.

Take "safety checks of the line" as a reason. Sometimes this means that a driver has felt a bit of a wobble and everything will be good again in five minutes. Sometimes it means there's a broken rail and everything will be up the wall for five hours. Why not just say there's a broken rail? At least then I know where I stand.

because often it isnt clear what the problem is. The reason often emerges as the investigation goes on and the information issued changes. That simply leads to accusations of incompetence. Surely it is better to use a bland generic until the actual reason is clear and an at least semi accurate expression of the impact can be issued

It ties in with the hopelessly optimistic estimates of disruption that are normally posted on NRE. I'm sick of reading "delays of up to 30 minutes" when everything- and I mean everything- is sat on the ECML 90L.

Same as the motorway or the bus station or the airport. Just do what I do and disregard any indication of a delay and simply used the word late.
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
Much the same as when you are driving on the motorway in heavy traffic and the gantry states "40 mph speed limit" when you are struggling to achieve 14 mph.

Thats because MIDAS is only allowed to set the signals automatically as low as 40.
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
With regards to passing information, and the use of phrases like "operational incident", my personal opinion is that it is a bit of a cop out. Yes, as an industry we mustn't overwhelm passengers with jargon, but keeping them in the dark by being unnecessarily vague is just going to lead to frustration.

Railway staff are selected on their ability to communicate well, and so it isn't beyond their ability to relate that to the passengers in a way that accurately states what's up without losing them in the first sentence. Sometimes using a *bit* of jargon can actually help, as it instills a bit of confidence, reminds the passengers that the staff know what they're talking about and know what's going on.

"Due to a problem currently under investigation" in my opinion is fine to use as a holding message, but really ought to be updated to a meaningful reason as soon as possible. Information during disruption is something that comes up in passenger feedback time and time again so it really is only fair the industry tries to do something about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top